1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin Zumo 665????

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by chad2423, Apr 20, 2021.

1. chad2423

chad2423 n00b

Oddometer:
    I just found a used one for $150 and want a GPS for my bike. I don't want to get something I'll regret even paying little for. Is this unit any good in 2021?

I'll be loading tracks and waypoints for BDR rides mostly.
  2. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s likely you will be disappointed. I have a Zumo 550. Getting it to show the BDR tracks and not recalculate them is a giant pain, garmin has struggled with that until more recent sumos. Can’t say if the one you are looking at has that problem.
    Personally you could get a used duraforce pro android phone, download Locus, and use that. There are two huge threads about using durable phones and Locus on advrider. We got fed up 5 days into our MABDR ride using the Zumo as we were not even sure where the hell we were, off until the middle of housing developments and not dirt roads Bc it recalculated.

I still use the Zumo, but as a heads up display and as a quick way to navigate, say when I am done riding for the day and want to get home the quickest way. For following tracks I think it will aggravate you.

Mike
  3. chad2423

chad2423 n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok. Great to know. I'll check into the phone. Thanks