1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin Zumo not charging on the bike

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by on2wheels52, Sep 24, 2018.

1. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It stopped charging on the 10th day of a two week trip :(
    I see that my cradle is not the same as some others, perhaps mine is one of the older models?
    I bought it on the FM here, it was a bit wonkey until I sent it to a repair outfit (I think it was in MN).
    But of course just sent the unit, not the mount.

IMG_0001.JPG

My power cord has 4 pins, there is 12v at the 10 o'clock position; a ground at 4 o'clock.
    I don't know what the other 2 are for, the cord only has a power and ground lead.

IMG_0002.JPG

There is no 12v at any of the two rows of pins on the bottom. With a magnifying glass I could see that the plastic was a bit melted around the third pin from the left in the back row. Plus the pin wasn't quite as springy(?) as the others. Is there supposed to be voltage at that pin?

For the first time I took off the back cover.

IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG

I hope I'm not answering my own question, is that foil connector burned?
  2. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    You most likely have a Zumo 550. It might be the even older Zumo 450, which used the same mount. Zumo 550 debuted in circa 2007.

Replacement available here
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/1559/pn/010-10859-00
  3. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for link Dorito.

I've located a rider (somewhat) close to me with mount, I'll see if it will work on his.