Garmin Zumo - Self Help via Snip-n-Go?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by MoikonaBoik, Jul 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MoikonaBoik

MoikonaBoik Imagining whirled peas

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    so I'm looking at the Zumo 396 doorstop I bought from Garmin a year ago, which I have mounted on one of my motorcycles. It came with a unique, fully non-interchangeable mounting bracket and a power cable of unknown specification that hard wires into both the bracket and the battery... making it impractical to switch from one bike to another. On those rare occasions when the Garmin might actually be useful, instead of just a royal PITA, it's always on the wrong bike.
    No problem, I could buy another mount... and RAM adapter... and bike cable kit. Except that I can't bring myself to spend more money on Garmin products and I don't want more of their junk lying around my garage.
    OR... I could snip the cable a few inches from the cradle and install a plug, so I can remove the cradle and wire pigtail as a unit and plug it into a generic twelve volt source on the other bike.
    I would go ahead and do this but my shade tree wiring screwups are legendary. Has anybody done this? Tips?
    toecutta likes this.
  2. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. MoikonaBoik

Oddometer:
    Got it, thanks!
  4. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Considering the mount is perhaps 150$ over the next 10 years, considering how much fuel and tire money you'll spend over that 10 years, considering your hatred for garmin and not needing another reason to f...mess up and blame them, you should buy the mount.

Besides, make it removeable and someone will steal it.
    MoikonaBoik likes this.
  5. MoikonaBoik

Oddometer:
    Great advice, thanks. You're right, I don't need more reasons to blame Garmin for my f-ups!
  6. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    The mount itself is just on a RAM ball so you probably got some of those already (or get some, not that expensive)
    Buy a pack of connectors like these, (5 bikes worth here) and run the bike end out near the dash, handlebars.
    Attach other end to battery end of Garmin harness, bundle harness up NEATLY and tape into a cube, ball, whatever that can just lay behind the 396 GPS. Could even attach to back of unit/bracket.
    Easy to switch. Security (can’t steal what’s not on the bike)

49CB5C8A-A108-456E-9561-283B0B1C6023.png
    MoikonaBoik likes this.