Garmin Zumo XT better then Montana for off-road use?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by BronNowo, May 28, 2020.

1. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just did some off-road sandy race in woods with zumo xt and it rocks as well as its mount.
    Following track was very easy, whole unit covered in dust and worked perfectly.
  2. sati8d

sati8d REALLY?? Eh! Oh! ca va pas non??? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you please expound on those comments, in view of the previous comments made recently.
    How is yours attached? Is it sturdy or not? I find it hard to believe Garmin would make an off-road style gps, knowing the riders will be off road and not have a strong mount - but I've heard it seems flimsy - don't know personally.
  3. jfheath

jfheath n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't know, but I wonder if a different transfer mode will help ? By default the XT is set to autodetect MTP (Media Transfer Protocol. But there are two other options - USB Ethernet and USB Ethernet single session - which is the same as USB Ethernet, except that it reverts back to MTP mode when you have finished that session.
    Since MTP is reported to have beend eveloped by Microsoft ........... Just a thought.
    You can get to change this (and a few other settings) like this:
    View Map -> Speed (bottom left) ->
    -> O mph Circle (top centre) Press for about 10 seconds ->
    -> Configuration and Settings -> MTP Settings ->
    -> MTP Mode Auto Detect (or whatever is above 'Show .System) ->
    -> USB Ethernet -> Save

You may have to ensure that the connected USB device is safe to disconnect before you unplug if you select USB instead of MTP mode - I believe that writing to the USB device may be cached or buffered. I don't know how this is done on a Mac.
    mda185 likes this.
  4. sati8d

Oddometer:
    Ok - so I'm eating some crow here - went the cheaper route bought a Kyocero Pro2 - powerful lil' guy - they say the screen is 5.5" ...didn't say which direction that's measured - the thing is tiny compared to my Samsung - and you can't see the screen that well....so now I'm coming back to buying the Garmin ....maybe - can't make up my mind...so next best thing is to wait.
  5. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every screen size is measured corner to corner at a diagonal.
  6. sati8d

Oddometer:
    yes - I'm aware but the Kyocera is 20% smaller than my Samsung 9a.... so my wife just bought me the XT for my birthday...some love it, some hate it....I'll be ok with it as I'm a Windows user and Basecamp runs better on it.
    mbabc likes this.
  7. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The trouble I have is the Kyocera dimming because of heat on an even slightly warm ride. Still prefer the Montana 650 and am watching both Zumo XT and Montana 700i threads.
  8. radiorental

radiorental Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back from a 4 day trip 90% off road through NH & ME. Weather was mixed with hurricane Laura off the coast. Dropped the bike 4 times, low speeds. Bent bars, pegs, mirrors etc but the mount held up. It really doesn't look bombproof but it did the job. I do wonder over time if the plastic wears as you take the unit on/off and becomes less reliable.

The killer feature, aside from the user interface being intuitive & bright screen - it's snappy and responsive with wet gloves in the rain. Standing on pegs, 20-30mph, I'm able to interact with it. A solid unit for offroad.
  9. spdk01

spdk01 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, anyone used or seen the NEW Montana 700 - 750i and has experience with the Zumo XT. would be great to get some feedback on the pros on cons of Montana 700 vs XT for off-road use.
    Exception of the obvious size, inreach built-in etc.. more interested in mapping and quality of the screen.
    I currently have an XT and considering swapping to the Montana due to the fact it has the inreach built in, slightly smaller more robust unit and i hoping the mapping is better for tracks. planing to setup on a new 500 exc for adventure riding.
  10. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    damn that new Montana is pretty promising too, luckily Christmas is soon :)
  11. radiorental

radiorental Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love my XT, in typical Garmin fashion - hardware is awesome, software leaves a lot to be desired. The Zumo XT does not do a good job of managing / organising tracks and POI's. Everything gets dumped into flat lists with no way to categorise them (that I have found) on the device or before loading them. So if you want to keep lots of tracks on the device, spend some time in advance naming them. The XT definitely more street orientated than suited for ADV or offroad.
  12. mda185

mda185 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree with @radiorental . XT will work offroad and in ADV use cases but new Montana 700 series will be superior from a rugged hardware standpoint. Downside of new Montana is higher cost. Screens are equally good on both units and I expect the internal software and processors are the same. Montana does not come with any significant built-in maps. Zumo XT has lifetime street maps. Both units will accept Garmin 24K Topo maps which I find useful for true off road adventures. Montana rugged mount is superior to Zumo XT mount by a wide margin but it costs ~$140 extra. Zumo XT mount does not inspire confidence for use on a single cylinder enduro or dual sport that will see significant off road use. I use a Perfect Squeeze phone mount that I modified for my XT. I went with the XT because it was about $200 cheaper for the configuration that I find useful - OEM Garmin street maps and Garmin 24K Topo maps on SD card for the region I ride in. If the Montana 700 series rugged mount was priced more reasonably or if new Montana was backward compatible with the old Montana rugged mount (which I already own) I would have gone with the new Montana.
  13. sati8d

Oddometer:
  14. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Yes, I've got both a Montana 700i and a Zumo XT. The XT takes the win on screen quality -- it's high res and very bright, easily legible in all lighting conditions. But it has serious drawbacks in terms of waypoint handling, track handling, editing of existing routes, UI flexibility, and more.

The Montana's transflective screen is spectacular in direct sunlight, but its backlight is not very bright so it's not as easy to read when you're riding into the sun as the XT is. It's still legible though, and in all other lighting conditions it does fine.

For offroad riding, I would definitely recommend the Montana over the XT. In fact, I'm finding myself taking the Montana for basic street rides too.

By the way, the Montana is actually larger overall than the XT, not smaller.

The Montana 700i and 750i do come with City Navigator lifetime maps, just like the XT. And the Montana rugged mount only costs $70 if you already have a RAM mount to bolt it to (say, from an older Montana). Even if you don't, the motorcycle mount version is $100, not $140.

--mark
    Patch, Oeths, mbabc and 1 other person like this.
  15. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    The XT seems like more of a replacement for their road going motorcycle units. It does look good, personally I think I'd prefer the Montana 700i with in built inreach.

Previously I've been using an Oregon 600 (and an iridium go), and what I liked about it was being able to unclip it from my bike, or boat, and then use it for hiking (also used for cycling). It is showing it's age now.

Interestingly the XT has GPS, GLONASS, and GALILEO receivers. The 700i only lists GPS and GALILEO. The 700i is vibration, shock resistant. This is not mentioned at all for the XT. Additionally the 700i can output NMEA0183 sentences. Not that much use motorcycling but very useful sailing.
  16. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the XT and the montana 700i
    The screens are not the same by a long way nor are the processors ( at least speed wise )
    The XT screen is far better than the 700i...The 700i screen is transflective and is good in direct sunlight but not a patch on the XT in the shade or shadows
    The XT is far faster than the 700i map draw speed wise
    Infact the 700i is only a fraction quicker than the old 600 series ( pretty dissapointing to be honest )

My take is XT for road and 700i for trail
    Madman4049 and BronNowo like this.
  17. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of going this route. I regularly use both my (old but trusty) Montana and my BMW Nav V (595). Both are getting a tad glitchy and as the years pass I consider upgrading them.

I love the Montana and the Nav, both for different reasons, they each do a few things well what the other does not. When I just am joyriding I use the Montana if I bother to bring one at all.

I think both of these will keep me from learning a whole new set of hardware tricks while managing my old macbook and old basecamp versions.
  18. Redro

Redro n00b

Oddometer:
    I used a Montana for many years, for serious off roading the XT had for me the killer app of being able to download satellite photographs of where you are going to ride. Often the maps don't have the trails we ride but they are visible on the satellite photos.

A bonus is I can see it in full sunlight.
  19. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    I think zumo XT will be great for adventure riding, mixed road and off but Montana 700 will be better for hard enduro and trail riding, am I right?
  20. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Normally hard enduro riders would know where they are going since hard enduros don't tend to be ridden far from home, across countries and continents. But yes, from a vibration and robustness perspective it would make sense. IT's all in the specs on the Garmin website.