Garmin Zumo XT - Short Term Review - North East USA

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by _jonoz_, May 23, 2020.

1. infinityzg

infinityzg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, you can't. You need to have the App to be able to transfer to your phone and then as you please.
    You can ONLY transfer between Zumo devices without the need for the Drive app.
    wilfred, _jonoz_ and ohgood like this.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    dang, I was hoping Garmin finally got around to having regular Bluetooth like the rest of the world.

oh well, maybe the next version of the montana will have wifi and Bluetooth.
    _jonoz_ likes this.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have to have the XT hooked up to a computer to see the maps in Basecamp? Or do you use some other software for trip planning that also know about the maps?
    _jonoz_ likes this.
  4. infinityzg

infinityzg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since I have the XT I do not use Basecamp anymore (althought you could and would see the maps from the device). I plan my trips using different planning websites (they are all known to us) and export the route or track as GPX and then send it to Garmin via Explore.
    _jonoz_ and wbbnm like this.
  5. _jonoz_

_jonoz_ The guy on the Grom.

Oddometer:
    That might be a US only thing. #national/stateparks
  6. _jonoz_

Oddometer:
    I don't used Basecamp even though I have it. I believe I can just tap a place I want to go and creat a route based on preference of travel. I. E. No tolls, highways, dirt
  7. _jonoz_

Oddometer:
    Yeah I usually just look at a map digital or Butler and go for it. That's why I ride a big adv. #990
    sati8d likes this.
  8. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a possibility to pair it with some Bluetooth or have wired physical buttons to mount on the handlebars to be able to control the XT (zoom in and out for example) while riding?
  9. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like all lifetime map Zumos you can install the maps to BaseCamp using Garmin Express so you don;t need to tether the unit to the computer to use BaseCamp.

Its been a while since I updated maps, but there is a 'details' under the update menu. You have an option of device only, computer only or device and computer IIRC.
  10. ncj01

ncj01 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    so i'm struggling with my new XT:

1. can't get the APP on phone to connect to device.. sits and spins, never connects (bluetooth connects to device however, so when i play music on phone, it comes out XT speakers)

2. loading .gpx files - total fail
    • load .gpx flies onto micro-SD card
    • put card into XT
    • device does NOT recognize any file/route on the card (import and no data found)
  11. Peculierboy

Peculierboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You have to put the GPX files on the main card in the Garmin, not the accessory card. 'Garmin/GPX' https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=ACgfZF717vAeVfhHgPrFv6
  12. kennyh

kennyh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you can send to the sd card, but you won't be automatically prompted to import. After sending it, select apps then trip planner. If it works like the bmw nav V, you should see 3 bars in the upper left corner above any previously used routes. Tapping it should provide options for deleting, importing and sharing routes. Select import and the routes on the card should be visible and able to be imported.
  13. Scottyluc

Scottyluc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When following a Track, can you adjust the actual Track line shown on the screen? Not the color but the width as well? I have a 595 and this is not possible without using other software.
  14. Uralspaz

Uralspaz Bat Boy lives!

Oddometer:
    Ugh, maybe I'm a total luddite but I bought the XT and am wondering if it was a waste of money because I'm too stupid to ise the thing. Tried using basecamp to create a route but apparently if the route is on forest service roads or trails I have to spend another Benjamin for Topo 24K west? When I look at the XT the maps show FS roads but nothing on Basecamp but paved roads. Can you create a route from the device itself? Is there an easier option other than basecamp? I'm about ready to stomp this fu%$ing thing into dust and go back to using Gaia!
    G_in_R likes this.
  15. TheLondonder

TheLondonder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OP, have you ever used the TomTom Rider and do you have a sense for how they compare?

TomTom has a cloud thing that lets you add favourites and plan routes from its website, then it will sync without the need to connect to a PC. Does Garmin have anything similar?

Have you used it in a car? Is the speaker OK for a car?
  16. TheLondonder

TheLondonder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PS How about the motorcycle mounts? Does it come with RAM mounts? was it easy to install? Could you maybe post a picture?
  17. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have the XT, but I have the Rider 550. I like the website (mydrive) for route panning. Sync with devices is seamless and easy.

I do use Garmin Base Camp for its good cataloguing features. You will go crazy if you load 100 routs/tracks on tom tom website, as the website has no folder feature for proper categorization.

I use my 550 in the car also, and the volume is very good / no issues at all.
  18. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im having same issue connecting app to device, Ive given up for now, love the XT though so far, looks almost factory fit on the 1290 SAS:

[​IMG]
    beefcake morris and ncj01 like this.
  19. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 GuttenTight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great review ~ also interested in how folks are mounting to bike. I have an older Garmin 550 that has a bomber mount/wiring base. Would like to have same for XT.
  20. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I'm looking at the XT vs the new Montana 700i. I don't do a lot of backcountry nav anymore just main and secondary highways. The 700i will allow 3rd party tracking which I don't think the XT will. Can you save a track and then send it to 3rd parties via txt/email on the XT? The XT is 100-200 cheaper. Has anyone compared these 2 units yet, the Montana 700 is just out, it has a long battery life that would work for many day rides. I intend to use an X mount on the bike and a vehicle and charge using only the USB, not hardwired. Will the USB charge the XT while riding?Looking for opinions on choosing a new GPS.