Garmin Zumo XT - Short Term Review - North East USA

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by _jonoz_, May 23, 2020.

1. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Motorc...03918237&sprefix=ram+ball+bolt,aps,170&sr=8-3
  2. Kshaw

Kshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:

Updating my original post to state that I purchased a car mount through GPS City as I had rigged a makeshift car mount and used the USB port for power but I had some intermittent issues as the display would go dim on long car trips even when plugged into a high powered usb source (2.4a). I guess the battery wasn't charging fast enough with the display set on highest setting. Also, as an additional PIA issue, when using USB port to power the Zumo XT, it would go into the USB transfer mode which often would require a restart to get it out of that mode and back to navigation mode.

I purchased a car mount which includes a Zumo 12v socket USB cable assembly. The problems completely disappeared when using the Garmin USB adaptor (2.0a) output. I also never got the USB Transfer prompt when using the Garmin USB adaptor.

I also still have an intermittent power issue when using the motorcycle mount on my KTM with it intermittently prompting that power is off while riding off road. Another PIA issue. I called Garmin and all they told me is that they could not support my unit until I took off the Cig lighter socket that I attached. Both of my bikes- KTM 690R & VStrom 1K both have 12v cig lighter socket so that I can just swap my motorcycle mount when I ride. I explained why I did that and the "tech" from Garmin stated that my 12v cig lighter could be causing problems. BS. I've used this similar setup on many bikes and I have an LED light built into my 12v socket so I know if It has power or not. I guess I will try the duct tape fix on my next off road ride.

20201210_174006.jpg

Jon
    toypro1 and bozmotodual16 like this.
  4. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 GuttenTight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the follow up info. I used mine this summer for several rides and find it very adequate for general riding. Easy to see in sun, handled rain fine, and easy to navigate around in. I have it hard wired to my bike and no power issues for me. One weird thing that happened several times on a 4 day tour was that, while I have the unit set up in portrait orientation, it changed to landscape without any prompting or change from me. I like the twisties but I never laid it down! Quite a PIA while you're riding. I would exit out and it would adjust correctly, but it happened several times. I haven't tried troubleshooting that yet.
  5. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    It's in the setting. You can disable the rotation. I had the same issue.

Jon
  6. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 GuttenTight Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK great, good to know. Wonder what prompts it to do that. g
  7. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scraping the pegs

:hide
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  8. 190 Octane

190 Octane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it's like my phone, the G sensor will cause the screen to rotate when it gets jarred going over bumps.

Just picked up a Zumo XT, I will see how it compares. I do like that you can turn rotation off, I wish more apps did that on the phone. I can turn off rotation for the whole phone, but that locks it into portrait mode.
  9. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if you are on android, apps like Rotation Control Pro can help you control the mode in which the screen locks (portrait , landscape etc.)

if you have Samsung Phone, inbuilt Bixby Routines can help you activate auto rotate when you launch specific apps (in my case when I launch you-tube). DOes nto work with Work profile apps thought. .

Tasker (powerful android app) can do similar stuff for any android.
  10. G_in_R

G_in_R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I completely agree, and have experienced the same problems. What a piece of crap. For riding from A to B on roads it’s fine. But so is Google maps - so a buy a ram mount and get going with your phone.

For off-road it’s hands down the worst piece of tech I could imagine. Whilst I can get a GPX file on the device, there’s little else one can do. No option to go to start or finish, as it crashes (as reported in other forums). Also no option to join the track at closest entry point. On my last off-road holidays 3 months again we had to use an old Montana to import the GPX files and follow the trail. Worked excellently. The Zumo we tried to get going several evenings and gave up.

My screen also has this horrible ghosting issue where it randomly starts playing Music from my phone, or starts on new navigation directions... yuck.
  11. G_in_R

G_in_R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For summer use: My iPhone 8+ works fine with and without gloves. I bought the BMW enduro gloves (or smt like that) that allow screen touches. Winter only with gloves off.
  12. KTM305

KTM305 n00b

Oddometer:
    Great review! I've had just a few outings with my XT. I will clarify that the silly split on-screen keyboard can be toggled to a single screen keyboard with smaller keys. When the XT is in key entry mode (such as search for location), touch the 'globe' icon. It will then display a more normal QUERTY keypad.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  13. Mikezx18

Mikezx18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have reviewed the owners manual for the XT and I see no mention of GPS Tracks, only routes. Does this unit have track capabilities?
  14. Peculierboy

Peculierboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes.
    _jonoz_ and Mikezx18 like this.
  15. _jonoz_

_jonoz_ The guy on the Grom.

Oddometer:
    Yes it has a very simple start/stop and it tracks how much run time vs stop time you have.