1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had mine switch on by itself too. I suspect it might have happened with the 2.90 update perhaps? Not totally sure on that.

But yes, Garmin has a strange way of thinking when it comes to how they advertise 'Features'. Like Red Light & Speed Cameras. Now they are saying that 'Feature' is really just a trial, and after that, you have to buy a subscription. So the Feature is, the ability to lock you into a subscription for life, lol. Same with Traffic, that used to be totally free internally with the antenna, but now is being sourced via the phone, and your data.

With the 660 the only thing linking the phone offered was the ability to place or accept calls on the GPS. Now, you have to tether the phone to achieve a good number of the features they claim, that are no longer internal, but slide past the part about the hijacking of your cell data. Thank God I have a Cell Data blocker as just messing around with Explore that I installed on the phone with Drive, I had no clue that the app will quickly burn through many GB if you mess with the maps away from WIFI. Between that and all the bugs, I'm not a real happy camper right now. The only saving grace is you can actually see the display now.
  2. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is the incident alert thing?
  3. wheel2wheel

wheel2wheel Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Zumo XT uses built in sensors to detect a possible vehicle incident (meaning accident).
    This feature can be turned on or off.
  4. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are downloading maps using your phone its going to use lots of data but why would you want to do that?

As far as normal use (traffic, weather, weather radar, traffic camera, etc it really uses very little data.

..Tom
  5. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    Of course you wouldn't want to knowingly download maps via cell data, but when you are first figuring it out, with ZERO documentation, I could easily see someone flipping through pages to check it out, and hit the wrong thing and get a nasty surprise. Besides, you never know what these kinds of apps are doing behind the scenes as well. When I got an alert that Explore was pulling cell data just on start up, I clamped that down pronto. App ain't worth a crap anyway.
  6. Twin4Me

Twin4Me Fresh Meat

Oddometer:
    Found this video when searching for a reason why my new Zumo XT went nuts whilst riding in superheavy rain last week. Screen jumping around like crazy on my Multistrada with Navihalter fitted. My mate with me had it happen once, but mine did it about 10-15 times in two lots of rain. He had a different screen and mount. Both had a matt screen protector fitted.

Spoke with Garmin UK today and they had one other report of this, no fix apart from change the angle of the screen.

I'll need run through the remaining 100 pages to see if anyone found an answer, but if they did can you let me know?
  7. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XT in the rain: I have not had this issue and wonder if it’s because mine sits at a steeper angle than those with the issue. The other thing is after a little semi-uninformed math doodling with average rain drop size and terminal velocity, I figure a raindrop hits a surface with about a half pound of force. Guessing that’s more than touching a screen with your finger. Factor in the speed of the bike through the rain, even though hitting an angled screen, it’s still likely even more.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if rain made the screen do things. But what about capacitive screens? H2O isn’t conductive, right? Except a lot of rain isn’t pure distilled water. A lot of particles get picked up in most rain making it at least semi-conductive like a motorcycle glove. Well, that’s my hypothesis anyway.
    XRLated and CavReconSGT like this.
  8. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I mentioned the rain issue a month or two ago. In medium or heavier rain, mine also switches screens. It has even set a new waypoint and asked me to confirm. Setting the unit up to a more vertical angle, will be harder to see, and what is the point of that. I understand it is the characteristic of the type of screen, but being able to reduce the sensitivity might help.
    Moto Mikey likes this.
  9. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys back there have a nice problem to deal with -- Rain. Fortunately here in the desert southwest, dust doesn't make the screen do anything strange
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  10. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    Its funny that you hear alot of people saying that water isn't conductive. That is until you challenge them to drop a running hair drier into the bath water with them. They'll literally be shocked to learn that water IS Absolutely conductive - simply not very conductive and efficient, and the purer the water, the worse it gets. To your point, with the contaminants swirling up from the road, etc, I can easily believe that this could be a problem. Mine is mounted on the dash of my CVO Ultra, and the screen is nearly vertical, so the rain drops probably will be less of an issue than simple screen coverage. I never had problems with the 660, even in driving rain, but have not gotten caught in a downpour with the XT yet.
  11. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been in several downpours. I think it did some minor revision to water once just after getting it. Later several storms both before and after getting the screen protector with no issues.

..Tom
  12. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was wondering about this?! I've had my Montana 600 series awhile and not sure if its because I'm used to it or that I don't have much experience with (any Zumo) but I'm finding the XT to be a bit of a pain to understand as to how to display things up ahead. Maybe I need more time with the XT but the Montana seemed easier with fewer steps to say......display gas ahead, a restaurant, just find or look at things ahead where as the XT doesn't show anything aside from lists, not on the map?! Anyone else that has some cross understanding of the two have the same issues? Is there a process or setting I'm missing? Its frustrating because some things make sense on one but doesn't work as you think it might on the other? I get that they have different focus but if they merged the two platforms it would be way better. I guess its my own frustration having all the years with the Montana that I hoped the XT would be a souped up Montana or just have more features.:dunno
    1800cycledude likes this.
  13. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both the Montana (11 years old) and the XT, each unit has its strengths & weaknesses. Best to remember that the Montana is an 'outdoor' GPS and the XT is a 'Road' unit from the Zumo family with some off road capability.
    To enable the XT to show items on the map you need to customise the 'Up ahead' categories to tell the unit what you would like to see, I believe you can select 3 different catorgries.
    If it is any help, the XT makes a much better road focussed GPS than the Montana, although I love the rugged simplicity of the Montana for my off road bike.
    Pcfly and fpalbrecht like this.
  14. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After using a Montana for years, I find the zumo really inferior.
    duggram and Pcfly like this.
  15. TripleThreat719

TripleThreat719 Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I went to an AMA Dualsport Event this weekend and took both dirty bikes... Road single track on Saturday on the Beta XTrainer and then today I rode an Adventure Route on the Husky. I had a 131 mile long track for the morning portion of the ride. I converted it to a trip (first time I have tried this) and just like magic, it followed the track perfectly, all while giving me turn by turn directions. Granted, everything was on a public road, but the track took a 131 mile circuitous route to get me between two towns that are really only only 34 miles apart. Followed the track flawlessly...

Next up, I'll have to see what happens when I try to convert a track that doesn't follow public roads.

This feature is really cool!
    Magile likes this.
  16. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not uncommon at all. Many riders flocked to the Montana when it released only to be frustrated by its (apparent) lack of intuitive functions. Just look at that thread - 1,000's of posts trying to understand it. Once you 'get' it and know what it does well and what it doesn't - you stop asking it to do things it does not do well and you live happily ever after.

The Zumo are generally considered more 'intuitive' but coming from a Montana they can be frustrating for similar reasons.

The each have their strengths, and for my riding (no dirt and I don't use tracks) I find that the Montana paired with my (BMW badged Nav V) 595 gives me the best of both worlds. I love what the Montana does, the only lacking function for me is to quickly and easily adjust and re-route on the fly during rally riding. I rely on it for point to point and a general overview of the area, often using the zoom out to see marked waypoints near me. The Nav keeps the days route in check and is easy to adjust on the fly. Looking to add the XT to change out the Nav V for even more flexibility in functions. (and a better visible screen)
    XRLated likes this.
  17. Pcfly

Oddometer:
    I agree, the Montana has its own way of doing things and I get it but holy Toledo......the XT has got either bugs or someone forgot to let the motorcyclist give input when it was time to turn it on and ride with it at Garmin RND.

Anyone else experience the brilliance of the XT with another paired rider when it gives you turn by turn instructions?!:fpalm To fill in.....if you’re paired with another rider, right about when you say to your friend....”looks like the gps is saying turn right in another half mile”.....the damn XT mutes your other riders!!! The real brilliance is that they don’t really know you’re gone, keep talking, asking questions about the directions.....all the while the XT is giving you instructions and everyone behind you is wondering why you can’t talk to them?! Somebody please explain to me how any of that makes ANY sense?! Ughh.....

Then the music pairing either works then will either stop completely or partially work with music constantly cutting out every few seconds! I had one great ride with things working great but after lunch.....wouldn’t work, or partially working even after a restart. The pairing with your phone seems to drain the phone like crazy and traffic and weather seems to be as buggy as the other items. Then there’s the random power cycles, lock ups and inconsistent email notifications.

listen, I get this thing is new and will have updates but hmmmm......I’m seriously considering just selling this thing and getting a new Montana 700 series.

So far the XT, when it works in its current form, is best for single riders solo adventures and thoroughly frustrating in any kind of group ride unless it’s disconnected from comms....and in that form it’s basically a Montana?! :dunno

Anyone else have these same issues?
  18. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Basically No!
  19. Pcfly

Oddometer:
    Excellent, we have one.....no?! A silent majority?!:lol3
  20. spangle

spangle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In a word no, but I ride solo & use my XT to show my pre-created routes before my eyes instead of a map/diagram/list of turns.

When on the bike I prefer to switch off from other people/emails/music/weather/traffic.

Horses for courses and the XT meets my needs perfectly, despite a couple of glitches.