1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not knocking what y'all are trying to do, at all. But, I am curious - have any of you ever had a GPS stolen from its mount? Do you know anyone that has?

It's just not something I have ever worried about much. Heck, last night I stopped at a place for dinner. Right after I sat down at my table, I realized I left my key in the ignition on my bike (below my Zumo 660, in its non-locking cradle). I shrugged (mentally) and carried on with getting some dinner.

Are there places I have ever parked, where I would be worried about stuff like that? Sure. But, so far, stopped for gas is not one of them.
    Patch likes this.
  2. Clammy69

Clammy69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I remove and reattach it to the mount pretty frequently, and I haven't had any issues with the pins.

Cheers!
    :super:super:super
    rhicks likes this.
  3. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to be that guy but it's a $500 gps, what's another hundo to keep some shitbag from walking off with it? We're all riding around on motorcycles often loaded with gear which means we more than likely all have reasonable disposable income. Skip a steak dinner one weekend if you have to, buy the lock, protect your investment, and never worry about it again. To me not is no different than buying a $15K touring bike then getting the cheapest helmet you can find doesn't make sense.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  4. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remove mine frequently and don’t worry about the pins. I guess “a lot of people complaining” on the Internet is relative. Issues are always magnified.

I frequently leave the key in the ignition, gloves and helmet on the seat and XT in the mount when away from the bike for short periods. Otherwise, I just pop it in my pocket. But then I ride mostly northeast US, in more rural areas where I suspect the ADV riding is better than most crime ridden places. I think I have decent street smarts and situational awareness but am not a paranoid nut job about ne’er do wells lurking around every corner. I’m also aware there are many parts of the world where opportunistic thievery is a legitimate problem.
  5. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I've experienced for myself that it's Android-based. Android utilities are required to connect it to a Mac, and using Android File Transfer on the Mac, you can see the XT's Android filesystem. Clearly Garmin based the interface on existing automotive units, but it is definitely a new generation of device from previous Zumos (can't speak to Drivesmart/etc devices, never used them and have no idea if some of those may also have been Android-based).

--mark
  6. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    It was enough of an issue that Garmin was sending out replacement power cables without asking any questions. I'm on my second power cable, but this one appears to be holding up fine. I expect the ones affected were from early in the production run.

--mark
    MUDHWY and rhicks like this.
  7. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:

just google your area for 3d printing places and take them the link for the clip and get 1 done by them
    Clammy69 likes this.
  8. rhicks

rhicks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might do that. Need to get it mounted first and go from there. If the pin situation is fixed then I might just take it off, put it in the pocket, and not worry about it.
  9. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    I bought the ZumoLock and twist. I've had a GPS pinched off the bike while in a restaurant before. Rural area. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity. The lock will be good peace of mind.
    BygDaddee and rhicks like this.
  10. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Even the Touratech holder only keeps honest people honest. It won't deter a real thief, given enough time.

KR
    BygDaddee likes this.
  11. raiderone

raiderone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently bought an xt, I’ve downloaded my routes from basecamp, and they show up in the xt but when I go to navigate them, I have no turn by turn, it says cannot calculate route. It only gives me a line to follow like I’m navigating a track. Is there some setting I’m missing? Thanks
  12. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having just fitted the TT mount, I think you would probably destroy the unit itself, if you tried to pry it out of the unit whilst it was locked. It is really securely mounted in there, that said I will be removing my XT when leaving the bike for any length of time. It does however give me peace of mind whilst paying for my fuel.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  13. GHanson

GHanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:

So, honest people will try to steal your sat nav, unless they're prevented from doing so by your mount. What then does it mean to be honest?
  14. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    You've never had anything stolen from you have you? :fpalm
  15. GHanson

GHanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:

By honest people? So honest people are doing the stealing? To be honest means you steal? Is this one of those Orwellian definition changes?

Honest?
    JackalHack and Madman4049 like this.
  16. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like trying to justify not spending on a lock to protect the other $500 we just spent :hmmmmmHope and a prayer...have fun with that I like to fort knox my shit if you're gonna try to steal it it's gonna be painfully obvious you'e tryin to steal it and you're gonna have to work for my shit. Not saying they won't eventually get it but I'd prefer they have to struggle for their spoils.
    CavReconSGT, XRkeg and MUDHWY like this.
  17. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    You're overthinking it or just being pedantic.

A crime of opportunity suggests that any person might stoop to temptation if the fruit is low hanging and delicious looking enough.
  18. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm considering the XT as a 595 replacement. Watching a YouTube video, I see it ask about switching to Motorcycle Mode when it starts up. Does it do this every time you put it in the motorcycle mount or is there a way to set a particular mode without being repeatedly queried?
  19. The.Cheese

The.Cheese Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It did not ask me at all. It powers on in whatever mode in was previous. I think the first time was even moto mode.

Only once did it tell me fuel tracking was only available in motorcycle mount. Or something close to that. I took it out of the moto mount and put it right back. Never happened again. Assuming it lost track of what mount it was in.
  20. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine always starts up in MC mode when I have been using it on the bike. If I put it in the car it asks which mode I want.