Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. JackalHack

JackalHack Perpetually confused Supporter

Oddometer:
    :hide

Haydn
    Schussboelie and StuartV like this.
  2. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    well, perhaps I missed something, but... it won't remain waterproof when you plug the traffic receiver (GTM60 if I recall).
    showstopper.

this xt, and the 59x not able to get fm traffic, that's 2 in a row...
    660 still rules.
  3. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The XT gets Real-time Traffic via BT from the phone from the Drive app. Provided of course, you are within cell range, which is many times broader than the GTM HD Digital range.

I find that side by side, the XT with Drive blows away the 660 with the FM Traffic Antenna, fwiw.

I think this link is worth some reading so you can appreciate the improvements in traffic over the 660, which I also have:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=i34WV8maJa11t7iwvYnz18
    MUDHWY and StuartV like this.
  4. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the 660 now and I have always felt like the traffic info it gives was basically useless.

I have never avoided a traffic jam because it alerted me and routed me around it before I was in it.
  5. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    Well it mostly is useless, imho. Being in the Chicago burbs, the 660 FM Traffic barely reached 30 miles out. And frankly, we tend to drive away from the congestion, and out to the sticks, where FM traffic reception was totally non existent. Even when you'd get a quick blip, it took forever to update. The good news is, the XT Real-Time is light-years better, with an enormously wider range, and will actually recommend rerouting if there is an advantage.
  6. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know what it is. You don't need to see the traffic on every 100m of every tiny street.

Unless you have a smartphone, and it's on (off because of battery life), with BT on (off because it has critical vulnerabilities, and battery life), and a data plan (which not everybody has, especially not when roaming, and $$, especially with wifi so available), for any of these things missing you would have have to settle for what has been fine and FREE FOREVER even as of today, with FM or RDSHD (when available) traffic. In a nutshell, it's a regression, a cheap shot to save on the cradle (which brought the connector under the seat) and on standalone technology.

I'm sure some think it's normal to spend thousands of dollars over 10 years of zumo life just to have internet a 2nd time in hand, and then complain that the zumo is expensive despite amortized easily. I just happen to do the math and say no to that scam.

The fact is, the only options they want to offer is a) way too much, or b) nothing (because plugging that receiver cable breaks waterproofing). This XT flaw is what I complain about. They failed to think through the usability of that lower end technology, which is why the 660 has to do another term.
  7. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me, I experienced quite the opposite.

Perhaps you have more fm station to scan (and almost none providing info) and it doesn't settle quickly enough. It could also be a matter of where you placed the antenna wire. Bad reception would delay the info accumulation. I keep the wire away from the subframe, far up behind the seat cowling. Could be the infinite mountains, in VA... For me, it seems to grab signals soon enough, even from stations a lot closer than the destination (250km away a few times!).
  8. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it has a Browse feature, for either smartphone music, or music stored on a microSD card.
  9. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is supposed to be an Adventure rider forum -- so what is all this talk about worrying about how the XT does traffic alerts. Mine has never told me the backcountry road I am on has a traffic alert. It has coming home and was dead on, but I look at it as added value not critical need.
    AIXpi likes this.
  10. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    :fpalm You seem bitter.

The saying "we mock what we don't understand" comes to mind.
    EmmEff likes this.
  11. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the cell signal goes away, tell Siri or Google To play something you have stored on the XT or phone. I rode in a lot of no-cell areas in the North Georgia area, and just played stored music instead.
  12. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for someone to help you justify avoiding the costs of upgrading, I'm not sure many here will oblige you, but you can certainly keep thinking the 660 is superior. But the fact is, it is NOT. While the XT still has some rough patches to address, it is a big upgrade over the 660 in every regard. Until you use both side by side, you truly don't have a clue what you are missing, or what you are talking about. Frankly, the 660 isn't in the same league by a longshot. The speed, brightness and quality of the display alone is worth the price of admission. And if you are basing the entire decision on Traffic, umm, you are missing the entire point.

In the photo below, I purposely reflected two ceiling lights onto the screen of the XT (one you can see in the black, the other towards the middle) and it's still far brighter than the 660 side by side. With the 660 I couldn't even try to wear a light colored shirt, let alone read the screen with the sun at my back. The XT is so bright, there is almost zero instances where you cannot clearly see the screen in direct sunlight. Its that good. However, if you think the 660 does the job, by all means stick with it. I obviously didn't throw mine away - yet.

IMG_20201021_180915788.jpg
    Moto Mikey, AIXpi, StuartV and 2 others like this.
  13. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    x2
  14. neilinoregon

neilinoregon n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello new friends and new acquaintances. I am new to posting on advrider but have been lurking for a long time. I moved to Oregon and saw all those amazing forest roads leading off the asphalt and started wishing again for an off road bike. I got lucky a few years ago and fell into the gig of a lifetime - sharing my personal experiences with gear on ultimate motorcycling . com magazine. I noticed this discussion on the Zumo XT and want to share that although I haven't taken it off road yet, I absolutely love it. I am testing the Garmin Montana 700i right now and it is an amazing hunk of machinery that seems to do everything except shift your gears for you. If anyone is interested, here is a link to my review of the Zumo XT.
    Comments are always welcome. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/20...xt-review-motorcycle-specific-gps-navigation/
    MUDHWY likes this.
  15. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes for music that is on the XT. The question i was answering was could the xt find Playlists etc when playing music on Spotify from the phone. In that case the xt can't do any much more than start and stop music. Voice commands through "voice dial" can so it if your phone supports it.

..Tom
  16. xr250ds

xr250ds n00b

Oddometer:
    D6277FF6-AE77-48F9-853C-7315B9BB4F77.jpeg
    I just installed Spotify on my iPhone. I brought it up on my iPhone 7 that is now connected to the zumo XT. When I tap music on the zumo I see what is playing on Spotify and control the forward and reverse, but not move around a library or select a library. Seri brought up Spotify through my Freecom 4+. sorry there are limitations. The zumo isn’t full smart phone duplicator but if it does allow me to select music, podcasts etc that are on my phone already. Hope this helps.
    V-Tom likes this.
  17. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    I realize the Zumo is not a phone duplicator, but when they put out a new model that loses a lot of functionality and basically reverts to 660/665 model functionality for music I'm not to happy about it. The lack of Spotify support is why I sold my 396 after one long trip. Where I ride (Bay Area, CA) I go in/out cell coverage many times on just a quick afternoon ride. Having to fumble with my phone or swap back/forth is a pain in the ass I'd rather not deal with and for now I'll just live with the 595's sub-par screen.
  18. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Garmin should make a moto gps that has wireless CarPlay along with their built-in navigation
  19. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have about 30GB of MP3s. All from CDs I own. I keep that loaded on my phone.

When I'm riding, I generally just listen to that. All music I like. No concern about going in and out of coverage.
    Clammy69, FireDog45 and MUDHWY like this.
  20. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spotify will download music to your phone too. No concern about going in and out of coverage.
    MUDHWY and EmmEff like this.