Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Ed

Ed Shunpiking Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quick update on the Zumo XT. I've been using it almost daily for a few weeks now. I find the audio control usable if a bit clunky. The screen is amazing. It's easily readable, even in direct sunlight. I have uploaded a couple of test routes to the unit from Basecamp and I haven't noticed any of the routing issues others have complained about. It has worked perfectly each time. I like the custom map layer capability, though there is an ongoing learning curve getting them right. I have had problems making and answering phone calls. There seems to be a priority conflict between my Cardo G9X headset and the Zumo. It could just be outdated firmware/software on the headset, though there hasn't been an update in years. Or, perhaps it's my Iphone 6, because I had similar problems with the Zumo 665. Both the headset and phone are due for updates. We'll see if either one or both solve the conflicts.
    CavReconSGT and dunc like this.
  2. blownalcohol

blownalcohol n00b

Oddometer:
    I am loving this gps

It's 10% right now using code MFF10
    @ https://ascentoutdoors.com/

I used the zumo40 off weeks ago, but now their website has code for $50 savings
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  3. RTwo

RTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could anyone take the time to measure the back side of the mount bracket for me?
    I'm making a mount for it but haven't got hold of it yet, I want to make it exactly the same size as the reverse of the plate below.
    I know the hole centre dimensions and could have a good estimate but I'd rather be spot on - OCD :dunno

TIA

GarminXT.jpg
  4. jskene

jskene Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see that the unit has 5 contacts on the rear plate (see image below). Have Garmin published what the other 3 are used for?

I was wondering if they can be used to connect to a CANBUS signal so the wonderwheel on my BMW bike can be used to control it, as on previous NAV units.

Attached Files:

5. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I asked pre-sale and that was 'proprietary information'. Ultimately meaning, the tech didn't have a clue and it wasn't in his handy-dandy tech flow chart.
  6. CPORet

CPORet I Am Kirok!

Oddometer:
    I don't think that's outside the realm of possibilities. Seeing as how Garmin makes the NAV units for BMW, and the XT is the latest tech, I can see BMW/Garmin changing the
    GPS Prep Package mount to accept/control the XT. I can even see BMW naming it - wait for it - the NAV VII! I really wouldn't be surprised to see an updated mount on the
    2021 R1250GS's when they finally show up.
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  7. dtaski

dtaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    Has anyone installed an SD card, put MP3 music files on it, and then been able to get those songs to play through the XT? I'm finding that the device only recognizes files stored in the internal memory MP3 file folder. ???
  9. Clammy69

Clammy69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Works fine on mine. What did you name the folder on the SD card? Mine is named "MP3".

Cheers!
    :super:super:super
    AugustFalcon likes this.
  10. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I created a folder named MP3/ in the root of tne SD card and have it filled with an entire subdirectory system of artist/album/song for approx 4,000 320kb songs. Works great with the entire directory system.
    Clammy69 likes this.
  11. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    I just dropped files directly to the root of the SD. Sounds like the files need to be in a dedicated MP3 folder. I will try that. Thanks guys.
  12. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    You barbarian!!

LOL ;)
  13. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    How fancy do I need to get with subdirectories for the player to find and categorize artist, album, song info correctly?
  14. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Usually, the folders do not matter. The categories are established by the metadata tags that are embedded in each song file. The folders, if any, are for your convenience.
    AugustFalcon and MUDHWY like this.
  15. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you have to format the card as a FAT 32 or similar. Ask the innertube.
  16. Ed

Ed Shunpiking Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I installed the SD Card the GPS formatted it for me. :D I haven't tried putting music on it yet.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  17. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Rule #1 : Always let the device you are going to use the card in format it before downloading files onto it on your PC or whatever.
    StuartV and SION1771 like this.
  18. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Just used the code!
    offtheback likes this.
  19. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    If it's working right would you expect to see any formatting happening on the device like you would doing it on a PC? When I inserted a new SD card into the XT it did nothing. I pulled the card and formatted FAT32 on the PC and it set it up fine and works great. ??
  20. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    You would need to go into the menu of whatever device and tell it to format the card. In an ideal world, it would all work the same. But I have owned a camera or two that were only happy when formatted by the camera. Takes just a few seconds and it’s like cheap insurance.
    250senuf likes this.