1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    We were discussing about a track that was created in basecamp and then sending it to your device so that you could then use the XT to create a "trip" with that track, not taking a track from the device and sending it to your collection in Basecamp.
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    you said this

“In my brain, you export from basecamp to your device, not import. maybe semantics??
    I see three ways to export/send a track or route to the XT. I don't see any button in Basecamp that says "import to device".

so i just told you how I do it :photog
  3. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:

You are not sending a track from Basecamp to the XT (that was being discussed).

You are importing a track recorded by the XT to Basecamp.

You quoted my post and interjected with something you do that was not be discussed. :loco

Stay on track, pun intended :lol3
  4. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. gspeed

gspeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone able to transfer a saved track FROM the ZumoXT TO a Phone via Garmin Drive? If I open the track in my Zumo and share to garmin drive, all I get is a notification on the phone "Tap Here to share or save" but when I tap on that I got the Garmin Drive app to open without any prompt to share or save the track on my phone.

Latest Zumo XT firmare (6.20) and most up to date app on Android phone.

Thanks
  6. jfheath

jfheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes.

Share it from XT to Garmin Drive - you have done that part.

On the phone, open Garmin Drive.
    After a couple of seconds, this pops up

upload_2021-6-7_15-49-17.png

Select Share and this pops up.

upload_2021-6-7_15-51-2.png

Select how you want to share it. Email opens up the email client with the gpx file attached. I haven't used the other methods.

In the Drive gear icon, I have messages and email enabled under smart notifications.
    I don't know if that makes any difference.

At some point it gave up the share - but the XT had turned itself off. So either there is a time limit, or the XT has to remain on for the entire transaction, or both.
    JackalHack likes this.
  7. gspeed

gspeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detaile explaination and screenshots! But I did not get that pop-up message. I'll reboot my phone / reinstall the app and see if it works.
  8. jfheath

jfheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check BT connection first.
    Make sure that Drive reports that the XT is connected ? Click on 'Done' - it will say underneath Zumo XT if it is not connected.
  9. Yaslina

Yaslina n00b

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about trying the same thing. I went to Cyclegear a few days back and noticed phone holders with that rubber thingy. When I read today that the XT could fall off I wondered if the rubber thingy would work to hold it. You have answered that question. Thank you!
    JackalHack likes this.
  10. CSpringsRider

CSpringsRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fast1 and jfheath - I have a question regarding displaying a track and then following a created trip turn by turn. I gave the track one color and the trip another color (neither one was magenta) but when the XT displayed the track and then overlaid it with the route (trip), both were magenta. I could not find a means to change the track or trip route color once I hit the "Go" button. Am I missing something in a menu option? I was hoping that I could set two different colors to make it more obvious when they did not match.
  11. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The route (trip) will always display as magenta. You can change the track color on the GPS, but some colors do not show up well against the magenta route or map. A black track has pretty good contrast.
    jfheath and JackalHack like this.
  12. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    @CSpringsRider

Ironically, I took a truck drive yesterday (GPS set in motorcycle mode) again testing the functional accuracy of a (route) Trip converted from a track by the XT that was exported from Basecamp and then running both the Track and XT generated Trip simultaneously.

Confirmed that the functionality of the XT converted trip from a Basecamp track performs perfectly. Make sure Basecamp and the XT have identical maps which currently is City Navigator North America NT 2022.1 for those in the USA.

I also selected black as the color of the track line to test with the Magenta Trip color. Everything worked flawless as expected but
    in most instances you will not see the black track color under the Magenta Trip color unless zoomed in as far as possible or unless
    you deviate from the black track line.
    Exurban and jfheath like this.
  13. LSGiant

LSGiant Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got my new XT used it day before and I had a compass needle. Did a map and software update last night and now the compass needle is gone. I have tried 3D and track up and north views.

TIA for where the needle went
  14. jfheath

jfheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @CSpringsRider , @Fast1

More recent observations

You can select Go! for tracks and for trips. Both display the magenta line as if navigating a route.
    When navigating a track in this way, you do not get turn by turn directions and, if you go off line, the magenta line stays put and the data display (if turned on) can show you the distance from the original track. The map draws a dotted straight line in the direction of the closest point from your current position.

When navigating a trip - ie a track that the Zumo has converted into 'a trip', the XT gives turn by turn directions and it appears to behave just like a route would, showing the magenta line. If you go off line, it will recalculate, but I have not yet found out how much of the route it recalculates. It has no routing points to work on, But it doesn't seem to recalculate the entire route. I was observing this on Tuesday, and took some screen shots. I have not had chance to look at these to work out exactly what it did after going off route.
    Fast1 and JackalHack like this.
  15. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    The compass needle appears when you scroll your screen.
    LSGiant likes this.
  16. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    @jfheath Thank you for posting your testing results.

Agree with everything you mentioned and as you noted the turn by turn track capability is a huge asset for this unit that I don't believe was present on past Zumo GPSs. When I ran my first test I actually got a bit confused about whether I agreed to "GO" on the track or trip, due to the magenta track color line.

During my second test, when I followed the XT created "Trip" magenta colored line, the track line that I created the trip with and that I selected black for was visible at times under the Trip magenta line on full zoom when taking curved roads.
    jfheath likes this.
  17. CSpringsRider

Oddometer:
    I can verify that the rubber retainer works well for holding the Zumo XT in the cradle. Since installing, have ridden numerous bumpy and washboarded routes. They were bad enough that two of my windshield bolts backed out and fell off but no issues with retention of the Zumo.
    JackalHack likes this.
  18. CSpringsRider

Oddometer:
    jfheath and Fast1 - Thanks for the replies. I figured out what step I was missing to get the track to display in a different color. Every time I would open the track and say "Go," I'd get the magenta line and the cues you described when riding off the track. When I'd then go to a trip and say "Go," the magenta line would obscure the track (and I think replace the track in the display). I added the track (with a color other than magenta) to a collection. It then appears on the map. Then when I go to a route with turn by turn directions, the track is still on the map and obvious if a route recalculation changes the trip route. Not sure if there is a more elegant way to do this but at least I'll be more confident knowing that the Zumo is following the route I intended.
  19. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    And when you rode over the same routes without the retainer did the XT fall out of the mount?

..Tom
    MUDHWY and fpalbrecht like this.
  20. MaineDrummer

MaineDrummer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just received new Screen Savers from ProtectionFilms24.com, ( https://www.protectionfilms24.com/a...s-screen-protectorgarmin-zumo-xt-3838124.html ) after an earlier set from them was sized too large to fit on my XT's screen. They say these new ones they sent me have had their outside dimensions reduced to ensure a proper fit. But during the time I was awaiting the new set, I saw on Garmin's website that they don't recommend screen savers being put on the XT.
    "Third-party screen protectors may cause touchscreen issues when it is raining. The zumo XT screen was calibrated to be sensitive to work with gloves and was not tested to work with screen protectors." ( https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=XzP8pmtjk81STStNaosaD8 ) They also go on to say, "Many third-party vendors offer anti-glare screen protectors that fit a variety of Garmin devices. Use of third-party protectors could have an adverse effect on the performance of your device including:

Display visibility
    Touch screen performance
    Lens damage during installation or removal
    Reduced solar performance on watches that feature a Power Glass lens
    If damage occurs to the screen while using a third-party anti-glare screen protector, the device will not be covered under Garmin's warranty.https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=XzP8pmtjk81STStNaosaD8
    ( https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=bD8ZsOP7a33IkRcjp2DgR8 )

For those of you who have installed screen savers on your XT, have you had any functionality problems, whether it be loss of touch-screen sensitivity, screen malfunctions due to rain, or physical damage to the screen?

3838124_1.jpg