Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    No … the converter drops the voltage … plugged into a usb, the voltage doesn’t need to be dropped.
  2. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Nice. My intent was to put a 12v tip on the end. May as well put the USB on the end, and us the dual USB 12v cig adaptor that I have anyway.

Every car, truck, moto I have has either 12v plugs, USB(s), or both. Can’t lose.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  3. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    OK - not an electronics expert. I get black gets connected to black, red to red. Beyond that I’m pretty much out of my depth.

Two questions… first, if I cut off the mail end of a USB cable, is it gonna’ be a black and red wire coming out so I don’t fry my new unit?

And, if I get the tip you show that comes apart, does it tell in the instructions where to soldier the red/black wires, again, so I don’t fry my unit? I have a TON of USB cables, that may be the easiest route long as the wires are red/black when I cut the male tip off.
  4. Cuttin

Cuttin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    VertigoGSA and bomber60015 like this.
  5. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Not sure what type of problem you experienced but..

I created a route without any issue at all and ran both (route and track) simultaneously on the XT as I followed along for ~180 miles
  6. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:

Agree I have the full car mount and power cord for use in my convertible sports car. Fine inside a closed environment isolated from dust/rain/water etc..

May last a bit on a pavement only street bike on perfect weather days.
    V-Tom likes this.
  7. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you cut the cable there is a center red insulated wire and then some strands of uninsulated wire.
    Cut the end off one of your old USB cables and splice the red to red and the ground to ground, or get one of these (actually they seem to come in packs of several), link to You Tube that shows which wire goes where, except in our case there are no yellow and green wires, those are data transfer and we just need power, red and black or in our case red and uninsulated. That link will point you to more similar videos if you need more.
    Pretty easy to check that you are wired properly, just plug the EMPTY cradle into a USB charge port and check that the center pin on the cradle is positive 5 volts.
    Barry and FireDog45 like this.
  8. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those considering removing the converter: do not plug in to 12v power! If you’re adding a USB connector then you’re fine. If you’re adding an SAE or other of those types make sure the port you’re plugging into is only 5v. I’m no electronics expert but I don’t think the XT would survive long connected straight to a 12v source.

Of course I could be wrong…
    MUDHWY, bomber60015 and Barry like this.
  9. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    I’ll grab one of the many USB cables I have and cut it, I can definitely do that connection correctly. Thank you.
  10. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Just keep in mind that the disadvantage of using USB is it's not weatherproof, unless you do something yourself to keep it dry. SAE or Powerlet plugs can be rained on without issue.

--mark
  11. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    SO, I think I need a new XT cable. I opened a USB Male Cable end and found 4 wires. Clearly a red and black.

I opened the XT cable that mounts to the rear plate with the pins and inside the cable sheath there is only 1 white cable. I expected to find at least a black and read cable. Am I missing something???

Pics below of both cable ends.

Male USB CABLE that I wanted to connect to the Garmin cable. Note red and black power cables.
    C6844579-9720-4853-B6E0-1E961EE3B177.jpeg

This is the cable that comes from the back of the Garmin unit. Has only 1 white wire. I expected to see a red and black cable. I may just order a new cable and put a 12v cig plug on it and just rock on. Preference is for a male USB connection, but somehow I don’t see enough wires to make that connection. Am I missing something????
    B1E1043C-197B-462C-A297-1F5A47FA1310.jpeg

Color me frustrated already…. There are 2 pins on the Garmin cable. That’s ground and power. So how is there is ONLY ONE WHITE WIRE coming out ofthe Garmin cable?????
  12. HarveyM

HarveyM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's a coax style cable. Your other 'wire' is the uncovered bare metal wires shown in your photo like this:

coaxial-cable-png.jpg

White inner wire, other wire is the wire 'weave' just under the outer black insulator.
    V-Tom likes this.
  13. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Yes, so how do I add the USB cable with BLACK / RED to that single wire????
  14. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Opps, you're correct, Garmin in it's wisdom decided to make the hot wire white instead of red. Been a while since I covered mine up, I had to go dig out the Garmin cable and check.
    Splice the red wire of your USB cable to the to the white coming out of the cradle, splice those bare wires (shield) to the black, the other two wires (they look to be white and green) are for data and are not needed to just power the XT. Just put/cut them out of the way so they don't short to power.
    Heat shrink over each splice then more heat shrink over the entire splice.

Before you do anything plug your old cable into a live USB charge port and check with a meter, you will see positive 5 V on the red wire. One meter lead on the red wire, one on the black wire.
    Check that the white wire on the cradle connects to the middle pin on the cradle.

And before you put the XT in the cradle plug it in and check that you have +5V on the center pin of the cradle.
    Barry likes this.
  15. GotMojo

GotMojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to buy a Bluetooth Cable [tm]! :-)

If you want to bypass the cable's 5VDC regulator and power directly from a USB port, you need to wire the center conductor to the +5V wire and the outer mesh to GND. Easiest way is to get some USB-A shells as they will provide a bigger pad to solder onto.

[​IMG]

The garmin cable only provides power, not USB functionality.
  16. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    The cradle and the wiring coming out of it are waterproof, the only questionable connection is where you plug the USB into the USB charge port. If I'm concerned about that I use one of these and put it in a protected place, tank bag or some such. Very handy USB chargers.
    https://www.batterytender.com/battery-tender-usb-charger-adaptor_2

Those are available from Amazon and other places.

More and more new model bikes are coming from the factory with USB charge ports. Good reason (excuse) the buy a new bike! :clap:imaposer:1drink
    JackalHack likes this.
  17. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Job completed. Success, 5v at the correct pin, plug the cable into USB port and GPS asks if motorcycle mode is desired.

ThX.

Barry
    Shawnee Bill and bomber60015 like this.
  18. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Look What You've Done

Oddometer:
    You're not wrong. Using the method described strictly limits you to USB connection.
    FireDog45 likes this.
  19. Clammy69

Clammy69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was my solution, after my other XT flew past my head at 75 mph! :baldy

ZumoDisconnected.jpg BackMounted.jpg Hanging.jpg

Cheers!
    :super:super:super
  20. GotMojo

GotMojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same kind of thing here.