Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:
    I've ridden with it and didn't even notice it until you asked the question. I had to forcefully try to move it up/down/left/right against the mount in my hand.

It is completely secure in the mount.
    CamelBill and Rofor like this.
  2. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:
    Just made my second "travel mount"... SAE connector + SAE to Powerlet adapter if ever needed.

[​IMG]
    FireDog45 likes this.
  3. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Or does it provide enough movement that would allow water to penetrate the seal around the connection at high forces resultant from speed?
  4. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:
    doubtful
  5. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Got out for a 190-mile kill-the-winter-blues mototherapy ride today, and got a chance to put the XT through its paces. I came away impressed.

First off... here's my solution for powering it.

[​IMG]

Each of my bikes has a Powerlet socket in the cockpit area, as well as a RAM base, so it's an easy matter to move the XT mount from bike to bike as needed.

Mounted on my Scrambler 1200, the XT is pretty much the ideal size to show me good map detail without obscuring a lot of the instrument panel. And that screen is beautiful. The glossy surface is fairly reflective, but the screen is bright enough to cut through the reflections (in person the reflections are not nearly as noticeable as in the photos below). The map theme is easy to read at a glance, and is just nice to look at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did find that I had to turn off the incident notification feature because it thought there was an incident every 500 feet or so. Maybe the bumpy Vermont roads made it think I crashed repeatedly, who knows. But it was annoying so I made it go away.

Track recording can be accomplished two ways. The XT automatically records a track that you can access and save (it seems to record it in segments, stopping when you stop for a few minutes or more), or you can use the track recorder feature and manually start and stop track recording (the automatic track will also still continue to record); this will not stop recording when you stop for a break.

After I got home this afternoon, I did a little digging and experimenting and discovered a number of things that have completely solved my connectivity worries. So for anyone else on a Mac, here's what you'll want to know.

The Zumo XT is apparently an Android device. It cannot be mounted as a drive in the Mac Finder. But a USB connection can be recognized by certain apps -- BUT only one at a time. So plug in the XT via USB, and Garmin Express will recognize it without issue (and automatically, if you have its icon up in your menu bar). But no other app can see it at the same time.

If you quit out of Express (not just the app, also the Garmin Express Service -- click on the triangle icon in your menu bar and select Quit), you can then open Basecamp and it will see the XT and make it available (see screenshot below). You can use Basecamp as normal and transfer data in the usual way.

[​IMG]

Another option is to use the Android File Transfer app on macOS to access the XT's filesystem (again, you have to quit out of Express, Basecamp, etc first). Then you can drop a GPX file directly onto the XT, or retrieve screenshots or whatever from the XT.

As I've mentioned before, going through the Garmin Drive iOS app also works well. This will let you share a GPX file to the XT, and you can also share a recorded track from the XT back to the Drive app (from which you can subsequently Airdrop it to your Mac). The one drawback here is that there's no way of retrieving any screen shots you've saved -- only way I've found to do that is through Android File Transfer.

Anyway, the point of all this is that I found the XT to be a great unit to use on the ride, and I've figured out all the connectivity hurdles that might have presented a problem for me. I still need to play around with creating routes in an iOS app like inRoute for transfer to the XT through Garmin Drive, but I see no reason this shouldn't work great. So, I suspect my Montana is going to be collecting dust from now on.

--mark

Edit: One more thing -- Garmin Explore is useless as of now, and I've performed a reset on my XT to unlink it from Explore. If Garmin gets around to developing Explore and making it functionally equivalent to Basecamp, then great, I'll reassess, but for now, it's useless.
  6. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:

Dude, great find!!
    markbvt and shearboy2004 like this.
  7. Barak

Barak adventure photographer

Oddometer:
    Mark, great tip on the Android File Transfer for Mac users!

I went out for a first test ride today which included 90 miles of mixed terrain, city, paved, washboarded tracks, single, whoops and sand. The XT performed flawlessly. I too noticed it had a little free play in the mount but it stayed put the whole time.
    There were questions earlier about wether or not waypoints (random or on the track) are visible and I found that they are, as long as they are part of the GPX file you send to the device.
    My method was to create a track in Basecamp, add a few waypoints, export directly to the Zumo.

I agree about the "Incident" pop-ups being annoying, and will remove those warnings. I love being able to turn on the Birds eye layer, since many single tracks and small trails are not visible in the topo maps. You can only download 20X20 mile maximum area chunks that are either around where you are located or around a stored waypoint so some planning is needed if you need more area. (each 400 square mile birds eye segment is around 260 MB)

At the beginning of my ride I started the track record, and finished it at the end, saved it, and sent it via Garmin Drive to my email.
    So far, loving how fast and responsive the XT is and the beautiful bright screen, clearly visible in the bright sunny New Mexico sun and even with the sun visor down.

My old Montana is going to be pretty lonely...
    Thanks for all of the great tips on this thread

I feel no need to re-read the user manual since all of the important stuff is covered right here!

Barak
    CamelBill, CaseyB, V-Tom and 2 others like this.
  8. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:

Yeah. Mine took me to James bay twice and did the Trans Labrador highway through Newfoundland and PI and Labrador. The North road and part of the Trans Taiga and many other points. I know it thought it was going to Alaska also. I recently bought and decided that I was going to take the 396. I wish I had waited a few more months and I probably would have gotten the XT. Either way, the Montana wasn't going to go.

KR
  9. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Find the file "Garmin.kmtf"
    Make a copy of it and call it "ThickTrack.kmtf""

Just double checking that the resulting file is not a new, edited "Garmin.kmtf" file using the same name as the original file? In other words, do you put a new "ThickTrack.ktmf" file on the XT or actually edit the "Garmin.kmtf"?

Thanks.
    Fast1 likes this.
  10. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:
    I do not edit Garmin.kmtf.

I duplicate it with a new name then edit the duplicate.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  11. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    At that point the internal memory of your Garmin has both a Garmin.kmtf AND and ThickTrack.kmtf file? Just double checking and thanks.
    Fast1 likes this.
  12. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:
    Yes. This allows you to change between them if you want.
    Make sure to change the name of your ThickTrack *inside* that kmtf file. Garmin doesn't look at filenames to get the names for the list, they look at the contents.
    DonM and smbjm like this.
  13. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone powering the unit using a BMW pigtail to connect to a BMW canbus connector on F800GS/R1200GS for switched power?

There were reports of earlier Zumos (?200) with the 12-5V power unit where the canbus was somehow kept open resulting in a parasitic draw and drained batteries

IMG_1637.png

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-bmw-gps-connector-socket.1048935/
  14. FireDog45

FireDog45 What should I do today...?

Oddometer:
    Assuming you’re changing <TITLE>Garmin</TITLE> to <TITLE>ThickTrack</TITLE> ...?

Fast1 likes this.
  15. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:
    Yep.
    FireDog45 likes this.
  16. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I have to ask since strangely enough I don't see in 24 pages that anyone has specifically said if there are any issues with seeing the display in direct BIGHT sunlight. This has been a major issue for me ans why I sent back the last Zumo and traded for a Montanan..
    Sharky007 likes this.
  18. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:
    Way better than a Montana in bright sunlight IMO.
    CavReconSGT and One Less Harley like this.
  19. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:

that's helpful....the Montana was marginal, but the Zumo 550 was better....but with it I kept it in night mode for better visibility.
  20. Sharky007

Sharky007 Top Gun

Oddometer:
    I agree! This is the main reason I am looking to upgrade from my 595 to the XT. The viewing screen on the 595 was truly horrible . . .