Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Ozz

Ozz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bigger screen is cool. But what I would really like is bigger font, thicker and brighter track and route lines. My 595 was a big deception in this area. It's great that you can upload tracks on the 595, but what good is it if you can't see the tracks? And the purple route line...I can hardly see it. If all these is improved on the XT, I might consider it.
  2. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They also claim HD resolution (finally!!). Had a 595 for a short while and absolutely hated the low resolution; was like a 1980s video game! Iphone was much cleaner, easier to read.

Also sounds like real battery life, another issue i had with the 595; thing couldn't survive 10 seconds without a connection, or switched to the useless low light mode.

And yea, TPMS compatibility would be idea, especially since my new bike doesn't have it. Also hope they finally came to the conclusion that people would prefer to enter routes on their phone and upload them to the unit; vs that awful keyboard.

And dreaming of logical compatibility with Sena/Cardo units... another nightmare!

Although nothing can be as bad as KTMs navigation software!!!!
    Prmurat likes this.
  3. VCheng

VCheng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that illustration. I am now thinking of getting this unit as soon as available.
  4. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally someone with the same opinion of the 595 ! I have a few Garmin (550, 660, 396, 595) and the worst of all is the 595 (660 is not too far either!): un readable in the sun, small letters, battery life... the 396 is the best followed by the old 550: always clear and long life battery.
  5. SION1771

SION1771 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was initially excited about InReach connectivity, but what good is it for? The only thing I can think of is you'll have a bigger keyboard to message. Interested to learn how to maximize my InReach benefits.

6. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yea, i ended up switching back to my iphone, but quickly learned of some of its shortcoming as well. Biggest one was overheating in the sun; almost got screwed a few times from that surprise!

Also can't stand Google maps messages that pop up; requiring user input. Ones like "Rerouting" or "Weak Signal", that didn't go away and blocking 80% of the screen!!!! Never had luck with 'touch sensitive' gloves either. The Garmin was better with gloves.

I also like how the Garmin would switch to a 'driver's view' when approaching major intersections/highway signs. the new 3d/Topo elevation view looks pretty cool as well, especially for off road.

So how does the emergency satellite message system work? Optional $$ I'm guessing?
    rbsride365 and Don T like this.
  7. SION1771

Oddometer:

Agreed on so much of the shortcomings you mentioned.

The sat message is really just using their InReach, so that's a few hundred for the device (that is self supporting and doesn't /require/ a nav unit), plus monthly service, which starts around $12.

That being said, riding solo, even in familiar places, it's a great idea to have an InReach or PLB on you at all times. I've heard of too many times when someone went off the road not to far and wasn't found until days later. With a PLB, it's a one-time purchase and the thing lasts for like six years, no annual fees required.
  8. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is a "PLB"?

..Tom
  9. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    personal locator beacon
  10. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    regarding the InReach, this cross-functionality should be beneficial if you have InReach Mini somewhere in your pocket, and want to text/read straight from the 5.5" display (reminding that InReach Mini model has just few buttons - which is good for sending just an emergency message or a pre-set one)
  11. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I notice the specs say "multi-touch, glass, high brightness HD color TFT with white backlight"

Are there resistive touch screens that are glass?

Or is this now a cell phone like capacitive one, with some means of making it work better with gloves?
    What effect is rain on it, will it go bat shit like a cell phone?
    What about glare?
  12. bigboyxl

Oddometer:
    Considering the resolution and the size of display it should be a huge step forward over the Montana and also downloading BirdsEye images directly on the unit is also an awesome function (imagine just connecting to your phone which works as your hotspot and downloading the needed images on the go...! :clap)
  13. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope it is better. Just ordered mine this morning.
    Don T likes this.
  15. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:

https://inreach.roadpost.ca/inreach-provides-interactive-sos/

this may be beneficial
  16. SION1771

Oddometer:
    So... just the keyboard. You paint a vivid picture about the InReach being 'somewhere in your pocket' but with the buttons on the InReach being so small and few, I'd use an external keyboard to message even if the InReach was already in my hand!! I've already pointed out the complexity of sending a message to my partner, and that she shouldn't expect many while I'm on the road. I'll be sure to forget to mention this new option once I pick up the XT.
  17. SION1771

Oddometer:
    Fast1 likes this.
  18. bigboyxl

Oddometer:
    haha just don't let her read the product details of the new XT :lol3 :viking
    SION1771 likes this.
  19. klinquist

klinquist ├╝bergeek

Oddometer:
    Ordered!
    Pixturethis likes this.
  20. SION1771

Oddometer: