1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Gees, good to know I have been using a piece of shit (590/595) for the last 4 years and 80,000 kms.
    Fast1 and Rofor like this.
  2. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    USB Power via mount
    Just knocked this prototype up so i can use a usb adapter in the cigarette lighter socket
    Instead of the rather expensive bulky garmin power cable to swap the XT between bikes
    Far neater and works a treat

m1.jpg m2.jpg
  3. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked

Oddometer:
    Have you tested that over a long period of time yet? I had mine hooked up with a cable to the USB port in my car to test the routing and it killed the battery. My suspicion is it needs more voltage than the charge port can supply. I realize you’re going through the pins but curious if it needs more power than USB can provide.
  4. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had it connected for a few hours and no problem at all
    Used the XT in the car from usb and it worked all day

power.jpg
    FireDog45 likes this.
  5. Specularius

Specularius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Run the battery in the XT down to 20% and then see what the amp draw is with the usb cable to pin adapter while charging. Did you 3d print the white piece with the pins? Where did you source the spring loaded pogo pins?
  6. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you buy the "car mount' it uses the USB connection and cigarette lighter adapter to charge and power it.

So there really shouldn't be an issue running it with USB.

..Tom
    Kerrizor and Moto Mikey like this.
  7. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Update: Garmin is sending me a new one under warranty.

--mark
  8. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Keep in mind that not all USB car chargers are the same. Some only supply 1A, others supply 2.4 or more.

--mark
  9. Moto Mikey

Moto Mikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Garmin USB car charger is 2 amp.
  10. bgm1911

bgm1911 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, that's very disappointing for everyone else who purchased from a third party.
  11. SION1771

SION1771 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems more than reasonable - how would they know if you purchased from a third party? Those who did purchase from a third seem to be getting a decent response when contacting Garmin.

You could save some
  12. spangle

spangle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought mine from Infinity & it had one of the loose mounts. I rang them on Friday & a new mount (perfect fit with XT) arrived yesterday complete return postage label for the dodgy one.

Excellent service from Infinity, plus they gave 10% discount for UKGSer members.
  13. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure enough. Got my upscreen protector from same company and similar issue.

Protectionfilms24.com in Germany Doesn’t fit! IMG_1683.jpg
  14. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well you have had more luck with Infinity than me
    I tried to call them and could not get through so i sent them a message and they did not even bother to reply :(
  15. spangle

spangle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To be fair, they’ve now sent me a replacement pair. Unfortunately, these don’t fit either! I’ve trimmed it to at least allow it to fit inside the case recess.

They must’ve made some to the correct size because some on here have recommended them.
  16. Sharky007

Sharky007 Top Gun

Oddometer:
    It doesn’t matter where or who you bought your Zumo XT from . . . call Garmin directly & request a new mount. When they come in, they will mail it to you! Does it get any easier than that ??
  17. Sharky007

Sharky007 Top Gun

Oddometer:
  18. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    Did someone figure out how to stop those disgusting "speedlimit in xx meters" popup warnings?
    I've disabled all warning options, still comes up...
  19. CmdrPopNFresh

CmdrPopNFresh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I just got a zumo xt today and I fear it may be defective. When I turn it on I get a message saying “no detailed maps detected. Detailed maps are required for navigation” then when I hit ok I get another message “cannot unlock maps”. After these messages if I go to do navigation I get weird straight lines that don’t follow roads correctly. The other problem I’m having is with Birdseye imagery. If I try to download any Birdseye imagery I get a message saying “no subscription detected”. I was under the impression that Birdseye imagery was a free service now.

I have been getting all of these messages since the initial startup. I’ve tried updating everything and I’ve tried resetting the device. No luck. I even connected to my computer and ran garmin express. According to garmin express my device has all the maps it was supposed to come with and all are up to date.

has anyone else experienced anything like this?
  20. CmdrPopNFresh

CmdrPopNFresh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok just thought I’d follow up on this.

I talked to garmin customer service a couple times and they determined my device is defective. turns out my zumo does NOT have the city navigator maps on it and when they checked my serial number they can see that the device was never given a license for those maps so that’s definitely a screw up on their initial programming of the device.

they were not able to figure out why I can’t access Birdseye imagery though. They assured me that there is no subscription required for Birdseye imagery anymore and they couldn’t understand why my zumo was giving me that message. The thing is already defective for another issue so this could be related or maybe is it’s own issue but either way it will be fixed by replacing the zumo.

I was instructed to return it and exchange for another. Luckily I bought it on amazon and the return process is super easy and they even had a couple left in stock so I should have a new one by next Tuesday.

I have had a few garmin products over the years and this the first time I’ve ever had any issues. I will say though that customer service was very quick to help and willing to make it right. So I guess if anyone else has similar issues and stumbles onto this comment......call garmin and get your new zumo replaced.
    Pcfly, Ozz, smbjm and 2 others like this.