Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    Might be interesting for some of you:

Zumo XT

I've had some tests now and getting close to have it configured just as I want it to.
    One big test ride, using my well known fun track around our nearby opencast mining, helped me to get used to the XT now (mostly).
    This track is about 100 km of 90% Offroad on dirt roads, forest paths and trails, file is about 1500 track/gps points.

Coming from Smartphone Navigation (Locus-Maps) I have a huge collection of tracks in my area.
    In Locus-Maps you may/can simply select any track (drawn line) and "navigate" it to have arrows and spoken turn information.
    Those arrows are simply the next kink in the track line, do not depend on any existing streets or paths.

On the Garmin, to have Navigation, you need to transfer "Tracks" to "Routes", those actually have to stay on existing streets or trails.
    It is not necessary or essential to use "Routes", I personally just like this option to have only quick glance for the next corner to simply ride faster :wink:

Tracks are no problem at all and totally fine on the Zumo XT!
    My .gpx files transfer easy using Garmin Connect App, the all show up 100% accurate, nothing get's recalculated.
    I can chose which tracks are shown or hidden on the XT (Explore not activated), change color, show as many as I like.
    Simply following the tracks (rolling map) is easy and works fine, Topomap shows all details around.

Routes are another story.
    The XT comes with routable street maps (legal streets only) and additional Topomap layer (not routable) showing all the trails.
    So if you try to use your offroad tracks and transfer them to routes on your XT it will just show an error or a mess of a route :lol3
    If you just chose a destination and let the XT calculate your route, it does fine and fast, considering your settings (avoid highway etc.).

OSM map:
    For my wish to have routing/navigation offroad, I took the next step in installing an OSM map (Freizeitkarte) to my XT.
    It's the same map I'm using in Basecamp, perfect for building routes, using even the smallest trails.
    THIS does the trick for me! My test track converts into a route on my XT perfectly fine, fast and 99% accurate!
    The cornering list seems to be correct, I have to do another test ride to confirm correct turning instructions.
    Will also test what happens when I leave the route and re-enter, or even re-calculate on the fly.
    The map (Freizeitkarte) looks fine and works fast on normal details, Birdseye also still works.
    The Garmin maps are still on the device, can switch 'em on/off if I need to.

The Device:
    That display is simply perfect to me!
    Brightness makes it visible in any angle to the sun, can't complain a single bit, even better than my Galaxy S10 display.
    Touch sensitivity is good for using with gloves on, no more stopping for a short command or scroll etc.
    The size of the display is exactly what I wanted, full case is sleek and nice quality, not too heavy.

Features like the media player, smart notifications (e.g. WhatsApp messages), weather radar and much more
    are a breeze to use on the fly, some are just gimmicks, some really useful.

Smartphone?
    Well, it will stay in my pocket mostly now.
    It's good to know to have it as backup and I won't be shaking the camera to death now ;)

(Pictures are my test ride using Garmin Topomap)

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    SkipperC, MGG, S4Wrangler and 20 others like this.
  2. Schussboelie

Schussboelie Kicking up dirt Supporter

Oddometer:
    The above behaviour is the same as it has been on other Garmin devices.
    You'll need OSM maps for decent offroad route guidance.
  3. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    Yes, but the XT is advertised different ;)
  4. Rofor

Rofor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @a.c.e. - thanks for this post!

As i know - the question for offroad-routing on the zumo XT is appearing very often in other forums (e.g. Naviboard or TigerHome), could i link to your post if necessary?
    a.c.e. likes this.
  5. Sharky007

Sharky007 Top Gun

Oddometer:
    A.C.E. , thanks for a great write up! :clap
    a.c.e. likes this.
  6. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question from an illiterate regarding OSM maps: can someone share a link to a walkthrough of getting and installing OSM maps to both BC and the XT? I think I have a pretty good idea but I’d like some confirmation before moving forward
    rbsride365 likes this.
  7. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    Feel free, no problem.

Have a look here:
    http://www.freizeitkarte-osm.de/garmin/en/installation.html

This shall work on other OSM based maps too.
    Rofor and FireDog45 like this.
  8. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just noticed a software update (v 2.50) that seems to address some of the issues we have been discussing, in particular the ability to hide / display individual tracks using Garmin Explore. I have not tested this yet, so YMMV.
    a.c.e. likes this.
  9. stongeg

stongeg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi ACE,

I don't have my 595 with me to show you a picture of the screen... But could you tell me if you have a track that show up on your OSM map is it still a "hair" line so thin that we are near unable to view it on the map ?

Maybee if you could show a picture of a track on the map.

Thank you for your nice review ;-)
    a.c.e. likes this.
  10. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for an awesome review. :clap A couple questions if I may?
    How many tracks have you successfully imported?
    You mentioned the Garmin Connect App. Do you mean the Garmin Drive App on your phone? I thought Garmin Connect was the Smartphone App for watches.
    I'm particularly interested in the steps you went through to move a large number of tracks onto the device. I still can't get more than 120 without eventual corruption, even after today's update.
    When you're using the follow features of a track instead of a route, do you still have the "Ready To Navigate" bar shown at the top of the screen?
  11. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    when using OSM maps you'll still need to modify your map theme to get a little thicker track line.

here's an osm map with the standard "garmin" theme
    [​IMG]

and here's a modified theme
    [​IMG]

here's my modified theme with the stock garmin map
    [​IMG]
    MGG, Ozz and TrailTrauma like this.
  12. stongeg

stongeg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It seem to be a little bit bigger. Did you have the 595LM before ?
  13. dpike

Oddometer:
    the modified themes work on the 59x, the XT or the Navs as well. it doesn't get a whole lot bigger, but enough that it becomes semi-acceptable as opposed to the stock track line.

i shared a link to this theme in this thread, but it in your theme folder and see if it works for you.
  14. stongeg

stongeg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, sorry to ask you, but how do I get the link to be able to download your theme ?

Also the bad news it that my 595LM he is on my bike in Mexico, and now I'm stuck in Canada due to COVID....
  15. dpike

Oddometer:
    here's this one with greenish "land"...
    [​IMG]
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcm546hqnoxvcqj/francex5.kmtf?dl=0

and this is the one for grey "urban land" as the post above.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jk2ew9hx1vdbp65/francex4.kmtf?dl=0

there's a few other changes i made in those themes, like exit and entrance ramp colors, dirt road color/width, land color and i think i boosted the width of secondary roads.

if you don't like it i can throw the thicker track on any of the stock themes and leave the rest intact.
  16. stongeg

stongeg Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    The blue line on my pictures above is a track, I've modded the theme to size "3".
    For my liking it is pretty big enough.

Not too many track imported yet, so can't tell much on a max. count, sorry.
    Yes it is "Garmin Drive" App, sorry.
    Connect is the Cardo App :)
    Did not pay attention to the "ready to navigate" bar, will do next time.
  18. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    Can someone confirm to show/hide single tracks while Explore is active now?
  19. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Garmin Topoactive map on the XT is an OSM product apparently. Wonder why it’s not routable
  20. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked Supporter

Oddometer:
    Update: apparently I need to convert the .gmap to .img and I'm finding that's not an easy thing to do on the latest Mac OS. I've been googling and reading for the past few hours and I'm not having any luck. I'm going to head over to the GPS forum and see what I can find there. Maybe this is why I never pursued this on my 590...

Update to the update... I fell victim to the 'only one device can use the USB issue'. I had BC open so MapInstall wouldn't work. After quitting BC everything seems to be installing normally.

I kept everything here as originally posted in the hopes that someone else could learn from my mistake. You're welcome!

I read through your link but just wanted clarification: the first section states:

Garmin GPS-Device: Installation on a micro SD card:
    • Download and unzip the install image of the Freizeitkarte map
    • Insert micro SD card into your computer (using an adaptor)
    • Copy the file "gmapsupp.img" into the folder "/garmin" on your micro SD card
    I'd like to install OSM topo maps and have been able to get them to work in BC. I would now like to install them on the XT but none are .img instead they're all .gmap
    I see the 'garmin' folder on the SD card but there's also a 'Map' folder. Not sure which folder to drop them into (if at all since they're not .img files), any more advice you'd like to share?

Also, I use a Mac in case that's relevant.

Appreciate the patience and the help.