Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. kreativ

kreativ OFFROADer

Oddometer:
    Question about azimuth driving. Often on rallies only the angle and distance are given in the roadbook. And you have to enter it in the navigation. Is this possible in XT? in the 64 series you can do that.
  2. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, it does appear that thickening tracks also thickens the 'where I've been' track. I compared my breadcrumb track on a modified theme vs. an unchanged one and it appeared larger. My issue appears to be more that an aftermarket ATV map I have installed conflicts with my where I've been track. Problem solved; new one found.
  3. TripleThreat719

TripleThreat719 Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    That's good news... well, sort of...
  4. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a feeling it would help, as it is designed to modify the 'track' generated by you or down loaded - both are tracks.
    Glad to hear it works for you - good old adv rider!
  5. simon crewe

Oddometer:
    I am sure the only things, that the XT will accept are coordinates in various formats, i think you are looking for something different?
  6. kreativ

kreativ OFFROADer

Oddometer:
    yes different:/ on roadbook I have only info about distance and angle and I need to find a waypoint on the map to go there. No coordinates:/
  7. kreativ

kreativ OFFROADer

Oddometer:
    HI did you try send waypoints from gpsmap 66 to XT?
  8. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, quite helpful for us senior
    citizens:-)
  9. simon crewe

Oddometer:
    Or go to post #476 and modified themes are already written & sitting in drop box for you to down load.
    AliveDK likes this.
  10. birdbearbeast

birdbearbeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI for anyon with the same issue...they (garmin) reprovisioned (or whatever they do) on their end and after a reset all good.
  11. CmdrPopNFresh

CmdrPopNFresh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was instructed by garmin to just return it through the place I purchased it from. I ordered it from amazon so it was a quick and painless exchange.
  12. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    So I've heard some say the XT is great for ADV, and others say it's missing a lot of features that the 276cx has or older GPSMAP units, like 478, 276c, etc.

Can it replace the full featured 478 or 276c? I couldn't find the spec on how many tracks/routes/POIs you can load up... Debating on XT or 276cx , currently running an older 478c.

Thanks!
  13. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would also like to see comparison between 276cx and xt. I believe either one is ok for the adv riding, they are vastly versatile. But why Garmin is keeping two different product lines? They should listen users and create one good product. Obviously they know how to make a good display and fast processor. But they should add more connectivity (via wifi, bt or whatever) to sync universally files. The file system should be easily visible (not through some spesific dysfunctional app) for uploading and downloading files, maps, tracks and routes and other stuff. No cables anymore. And pushing and pulling the sd card constantly is not a clever either.
  14. Rofor

Rofor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi People,

I post this here for a fellow biker in the german 'Tigerhome.de' forum - Does anyone here with a Zumo XT ride it with a Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 or the new Tiger 900?

Some guys here in Germany/Austria have noticed a massive(!!) interference between the new TFT instruments which is Triumph using since 2018 and the new Zumo XT. If the Zumo XT is mountet near the display, the GPS/Galileo reception brakes down nearly complete - this is verified for at least two Triumph Tiger 1200 2018 models and also with one Tiger 900...

Here are the corresponding photos for this problem:

Without ignition - Display off.jpeg
    Zumo XT in mount - ignition and display off

Ignition on - Display on.jpeg
    Zumo in mount - ignition and display on

When the Zumo XT is taken out of the mount and moved about 50cm (should be around 16ft.) away from the display, the signals from GPS and Galileo are back again - this is verified by at least by one other Tiger 1200 rider and also by a rider of the brand new Tiger 900...
    If you put a 'shield' between the Zumo and the display, also all works fine again - the guy, who noticed this problems first, has proven this in a video with a shovel - you can see those videos here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1s96hwzjmflfn28/AADGud_sVl0sSWVOpYVorusia?dl=0

Maybe someone here can proof this also - and maybe someone with good contacts to Garmin US can inform them, which will under circumstances will be faster than here from Europe - the fellow biker, which discovered this massive problems, has already opened a ticket with Garmin and with Triumph...

Greetings from Vienna!
    ohgood likes this.
  15. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah - in other communities its well known that certain very low cost amplified antennas for VHF/UHF TV signals can effectively jam GPS signals for a significant range. This is due to the very low power of the GPS satellite signal at the receiver. It sounds like the TFT display electronics or the ECU generates noise at a frequency that overlaps with the GPS signal. Not Good.
  16. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe that is a Triumph problem, not a Garmin problem.
  17. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Uh, yeah. Or maybe we should launch new satellites with new frequencies to allow the Tigers to work with GPS:jack
  18. Rofor

Rofor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, for sure - i'm with you! Proofed it a few minutes ago on my wifes Street Triple R 765ccm, which uses the same display....

20200526_155103_Zündung aus.jpg Ignition off (infront of the display),

20200526_155036_Zündung ein.jpg Ignition on
    ohgood likes this.
  19. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just checked on my 2020 KTM 890 Duke R. There's no effect on the satellite display page whether the engine is running or off. I have it mounted to the mirror mount:

890 done-5.jpg
  20. FearFas

FearFas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HI Guys (after reading the 1319 posts before this one).

My Wife and I bought 2 x XT´s for our bikes and 1x Garmin Topo Spain V7 (as we live in Barcelona).
    1- Once the topo spain V7 is installed in Basecamp, I had selected a small area of 20sqr Kms, and exported with Mapinstall to have it in my GPS (as did 1000´s of times with other maps on my GPSMAP 64s ) .
    2- Copied the exported file into the 64S and works without any issue.
    3- Copied the exported file into the XT and says something like "the map is corrupt" .
    To confirmed that was not a problem with the topo spain v7, did the same with one of the maps that come installed in the GPS with the same result..
    When i move the Garmin topo v7 SD card, from 1 gps to the other it wont work either. It looks like the maps are getting "married" with the first unit you use it .
    Any ideas?