Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Clammy69

Clammy69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I upgraded from the 660 to the 590, and now to the XT. The screen alone is worth the upgrade from either of the previous 2. I've had Zumos since they were introduced. 450, 220, 350, 660, 590,and now XT. The XT is the best of the bunch by far.

Cheers!
    :super:super:super
    MTBRALPH and wera803 like this.
  2. Clammy69

Clammy69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is just the file for a 3-D printer, right? Anyone actually selling covers?

Cheers!
  3. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you go to the Dutch Zumo XT page on Facebook, there is a guy called Berto Klein that may make one for you, you will need to join the group & send him a PM.
    Clammy69 likes this.
  4. Clammy69

Clammy69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks muchly! :)

Cheers!
  5. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. simon crewe

Oddometer:
    He is a nice guy to deal with, good quality, took about 2 weeks, 11 euro delivered to the UK - oh with KTM logo!
    Clammy69 likes this.
  7. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's a great option for you guys on the other side of the pond.
  8. hcd

hcd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did the MABDR with the Zuno XT with the cradle in a motopumps mount. Worked great throughout the route, when I got on interstate doing somewhere between 75 and 80, I hit a dip in the road and the gps came out and just flew away.
  9. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tether!
    simon crewe likes this.
  10. moseven

moseven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if waypoints are supposed to show up on mapping page when you create and save one? So I was exploring and saved a few waypoints of favourites - then when I got back I thought they would show up on the map but I cant see them displayed? - I can view them in favourites from teh menu and navigate to them if necessary but I would like for them to show on the map - I called Garmin buy they said this feature was by design? strange.....
  11. moseven

moseven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of a powered mount you can purchased for the XT that goes straight to USB? I'm not good with electrics so cant do this myself just want to purchase one to plug directly into USB
    cheers
  12. simon crewe

Oddometer:
    The straight answer is no, they only do one powered lead & it comes with the unit without terminations. That said it only has 2 wires one for ground & the other for power. I am sure one of your friends or a local auto shop could solder / crimp on the necessary connections for you.
    moseven likes this.
  13. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got my XT a few weeks ago and I am still trying to work my way through the nuisances, as there are some changes in logic between my old 660 and the next XT as it related to Explorer, which is even worse than Basecamp, if you ask me.

But to try to tackle your question, there are two basic ways to set a hard path from one location or another:

Waypoint, which is any location that is a saved location, normally a POI of some sort, and the default is to show and alert.

Shaping point, which is any anchor point, usually an intersection that you use to guide a path away from the default it's calculated, to a preferred path, and the default is NOT to show and alert. You can have many more shaping points on a Route/Trip, so it's important to use these correctly whenever possible.

So, to be clearer, typically if you are doing a Route/Trip, and you want to stop at a few Waypoints, the points between them would be shaping points.

This is the logic I've always taken. Now, I have noticed that sometimes, if I don't zoom in close enough, an intended shaping point might turn itself into a Waypoint, if the cursor happens to hit too close to a POI, say a gas station on the corner of an intersection. So, it's always good to check the Route/Trip listing before finalizing.

I hope this helps?
    moseven likes this.
  14. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked

Oddometer:
    A couple of points: you can use the existing MC mount without using the supplied cable that powers the unit through the pins. You could then power the XT via the USB port (like the car mount does) BUT it needs to be at 5.x volts. The car cable has the step down transformer in the plug where you plug into a 12v power port. The MC cable has the transformer inline.

If you don’t maintain the 5v then you’ll slowly discharge the battery until the unit reduces screen brightness to 40% making it basically unreadable in daylight. It will, then, ultimately shut off.

One other thing to keep in mind is Garmin specifically discourages powering through the usb when on the bike. Most likely due to the potential for vibration damage.

So, IF you can find a USB port that will supply 5v you could do it but it’s not recommended. Besides, having one less cable and connection to deal with I would consider a plus.

My advice: check with riders in your area and ask for help, I’m sure someone would be more than happy to lend a hand as @simon crewe mentioned.

moseven likes this.
  15. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm just wondering - As I've never checked it before, but doesn't all cigar lighter USB power ports by rule only put out approx 5v which is the universal standard? Naturally, there probably is a variance of perhaps +/- 5% to 10%, but has anyone ever ran into one, either on a 12v vehicle or in a home A/C adapter that doesn't target 5v for USB? Just wondering as I've never checked any, and just assumed they were all 5v and the only marked difference is the output Amps? It would be scary to think there could be some out there putting out more, so if so, I'll have to pay closer attention!

That said, for a bike, I'd agree that a USB is probably not the right answer due to the vibration, and more so, leaving an opening for water and dust intrusion. Not a good idea. However, if you were ever to use it in a car or truck, Imho, that would be perfectly fine. After all, the Car kit provides a USB based power cord.

Thanks.
    moseven likes this.
  16. FireDog45

Oddometer:
    My experience is they put out 12v but a quick search shows many USB adapters are 5v out which is weird.

On a recent trip the powered mount lost power and I attempted to power the XT via the USB port using a powerlet to USB cable that I plugged the garmin cable into (the one for data transfer between the computer and XT). That set up couldn’t provide enough current and the XT would start powering down after a few hours. Maybe the amperage wasn’t enough? I don’t know.

What I do know is everything is working fine now that I replaced the defective cable.

I do have the Garmin car cable and have used it with no issues in my car. Maybe someone with more 12v electrical knowledge can weigh in
    moseven likes this.
  17. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if I'm following you completely, but definitely a powerlet outlet is 12v+ so without a USB converter to push the volts down to 5v, that would definitely cause issues with the XT. But yes, in my experience, all USB outlets across the board I think should be regulated to 5v.

Thanks.
    moseven likes this.
  18. FireDog45

Oddometer:
    I probably didn’t explain it properly. The powerlet/power port has always been (in my experience) 12v.

What I wasn’t aware of is that the output of my powerlet to usb is 5v. So when I attempted to field repair my non-functioning powered mount by using Garmin’s usb data cable it should’ve been enough to make it work normally. I was assuming it was a low voltage issue but it appears that’s not the case.

For clarification, this is the cable I carry to charge all usb devices while on the road. It’s rated output is 5v.

I’ll stop going down this rabbit hole now, I think I’ve hijacked the thread enough

42707210-2F9B-44DC-8D4B-81DC8684BD82.jpeg
  19. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. 2.1 amps at 5v should be plenty to power the XT.
    FireDog45 likes this.
  20. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See this.

moseven likes this.