1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. moseven

moseven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies and info everyone, great help. All thebest. Mo.
  2. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Car/motorcycle electrical systems are 12V, yes, but USB adapters step this down to 5V. However, many of them only put out 1 amp at 5 volts, which as you found is insufficient to power the XT. A more powerful USB adapter capable of outputting 2.1 amps should work fine. If you were actually using the 2.1 amp adapter you pictured in a subsequent post, then it should have worked okay, so this would raise more questions.

That said, powering the XT through the miniUSB jack is not advised. It's prone to failure due to vibration.

--mark
    FireDog45 likes this.
  3. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked

Oddometer:
    It wasn’t my preferred way to go, I was just using what I had with me while 3 states away from home. And the picture I posted is exactly what I was using. It’s all good now though, I have a new cable to the mount and an adapter to let me plug the Garmin car cable in to the powerlet as backup.
  4. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    I caved after reading this thread for the past 6mo and ordered the XT. After my last trip and the past year using a tab, I just couldn't find a mapping app that did it all.

I wish I could just have my 276C with bluetooth, more memory, and larger screen for my old eyes........ Hope the Zumo will suffice
    fpalbrecht and AugustFalcon like this.
  5. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just use the 276Cx ;-) Despite of the performance, I am pretty happy with that and choosed it over the XT for my daily use.
  6. CrazyCooter

Oddometer:
    I almost pulled the trigger on the cx, but I just didnt think I would have been happy with it.
  7. jcbr6

jcbr6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need some help.. my zumo 550 broke 5 days before leaving for the TAT. I bought the XT last min and moved all the Sam tracks into the new XT. I converted the tracks to trips.and they look correct on the preview screen. When I go to load the trip so I csn use them to navigate, it reroutes to a more direct route off the desired track.
    I have tiurned off the avoidance options and the automatic reroute.
    I don’t understand if you load a trip, why would the gps recalculate?

curently in AR heading west

any ideas ?
  8. wheel2wheel

wheel2wheel Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could try this: https://advrider.com/f/threads/garmin-zumo-xt.1431553/page-82#post-40363833 (post #1635 - 1638)
  9. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do one disable the routeable map ?
  10. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    One solution: Enable Explore and sign into your Explore account from a public access computer, assuming you don't have one with you. Load Sam's Tracks there and sync your XT. From there you can access the tracks and navigate to them from the XT.

If you don't have access to Sam's tracks and you have already purchased them, maybe email him and ask for replacements to be emailed.

Good luck.
  11. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    damn garmin tells me to update and there site is down and cant do it now:rofl

other than that the xt is still going
  12. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In addition to avoidances off and autoroute off - try using the Fastest Route option.
  13. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    In your Map Settings you should find a list of the installed maps, there you can Enable/Disable individual maps products.
    AliveDK likes this.
  14. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, so I ran into a strange issue, and with Garmin's site down, I've got no where to look this up.

So I made a route for a 60 mile breakfast ride in Basecamp, with the normal begin and end way points, and shape points in between. During the ride, I found that this new backroads portion was pretty crappy, so while waiting for breakfast, I figured I'd edit the route on the XT, as it claims it can.

I open the map, scroll through the step, by step directions, and click on the two shape points that are on this crappy road, and delete them - Good so far. Then I look at the map and it shows the shaping tool with the curved line and X. So I zoom into the area to place a new shaping point, click on that shaping tool,and naturally it immediately zooms all the way out to see the entire route. Ergh. I zoom back in to the pertinent area, and it says to Touch Map. Well, I touched the map at the desired intersection for the new shape point, and I get an error message that says, 'Select a Valid Location'. I can see a little gray circle where I touched right at the intersection, and it won't take it. I tried touching EVERY WHERE in the frigging Map and nothing is a Valid Location?

So, I back out of this and go back to the first screen with the turn listing, and hit the wrench. I select Shape Route and try it this way. Again it says touch the Map. I try touching the route. I try touching the last good shape point. I try touching the desired new shape point, I try touching everywhere and not a damn thing is Valid. What gives?

Now, I can create a New Trip easy enough using the same logic by beginning with a Start saved Waypoint (Home) and an End saved Waypoint (Restaurant) and I can keep adding shaping points by clicking on the desired intersections. Works fine. However, as you continue to build toward the destination, it REALLY sucks that with each new Shape Point, it brings you back to the Start Location, so you are constantly zooming in and out, and scrolling all over the place - Very dumb, but par for the course with Garmin.

Has anyone figured this out, why you cannot edit or add shaping points to a Trip on the XT?

Thanks!
  15. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    Well after messing around for a while, it appears you cannot add shape points to an imported route. You can delete shape and way points, and hope for the desired routing when it recalculates, but you can only add shaping points to Saved Trips. How dumb is that? These Garmin coders are just amazing with their logic sometimes. They should force them to use their own stuff!
  16. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    They don't like people telling the device where to go, they want the device to tell you where to go. Leave it to Garmin to make something as simple as following a GPS track so complicated.
  17. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    The developers that create the software don’t actually use it nor understand how it’s used. Garmin has always been like this.
    Deano747 and CrazyCooter like this.
  18. CrazyCooter

Oddometer:
    I suspect like other work fields......The enthusiast never finds the job they would excel at. Been looking for that "guy" to add to my team for years so that we can continue to provide over the top service.
  19. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    I think the situation is, this really highlights the need for Garmin to start embracing a group of beta testers comprised of folks who actually use the full, supposed capabilities of the XT to provide real-world insight. Some of these issues, like where the view defaults while building a trip are ridiculously easy fixes. And the handling of Saved vs Imported Trips/Routes is pure brain dead.

The problem is, they are so internal centric that just getting through layers of retards, to someone who actually has a clue is nearly impossible. And they truly do employ an absurd number of really bad customer support techs. This group of power beta testers should report to a senior level software engineer for the Zumos, far removed from the lower level riff-raff. The problem is, the Zumo's have always been at the very lowest priority at Garmin, so embracing such a thing in a meaningful way is probably impossible for them to envision. Sad.
    Deano747 and michaeln like this.
  20. JS_racer

JS_racer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Say, is anyone able to sync track explorer data on the xt using the drive app? I realize they are still struggling...
    Friday, i didn't know the outage, and was unable to get radar data, said i had to sign in.. Had to pair again, but when tried, my tracks disappeared... It has yet to sync again... Ang the drive icon on the main screen is not green.. Radar works again though.

Just wanted to see if it was just me, or if i have company... If others, I'll use time... If just me, I'll try things.
    Thanks so much for your time

Also my drive app said there is an update on the xt firmware, not able to get it though, and that's ok for now