1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. amyroukai

amyroukai Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems the server error is no more, just updated the firmware.
  2. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I noticed this yesterday, but seeing a number of the support pages were still down, I held off thinking the download/upgrade might be tainted. Imho, I'm waiting until we get the all clear from Garmin, just to be safe.
  3. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The above was posted a few months ago - but I've just found it as I've taken delivery of my XT and find the track lines are too thin. I've successfully edited the track width but what I can't find is how to switch between the two files. Can anyone help please?
    thanks
  4. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make sure that the file you edits doesn't have a hidden *.txt file extension and that it ends in *.kmtf. Double check that you gave it a new name like ThemName_Thick.kmtf. Triple check that it is placed in the correct location on your Garmin.

Also, using this tool makes editing themes much easier IMO: https://www.javawa.nl/zumocolors.html.
    Triplog likes this.
  5. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    Fwiw, I have three versions of the file. The original, one edited for 2.0 width, and one edited for 3.0 width, all existing simultaneously. I can easily on the road, drill down and select which to display at any given time. Pretty easy, and frankly how the XT should have came from the factory. That 1.0 is pretty ridiculous.
    JS_racer and Triplog like this.
  6. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've just found it - under Map Themes on the XT
    DOH!

Thank you for the help.
  7. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of themes, I would like to find a theme that emulates the Montana's display. I checked with a buddy to see if his Montana had any *.kmtf files, but no dice. If anyone has any tips, they would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
    Triplog likes this.
  8. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great idea on the Montana display - I miss the Shortcuts. Or any hacks which make the banners semi transparent (like the +/- banner). I remember reading about this on an earlier Nuvi but have never seen it for the Zumo's
  9. JS_racer

JS_racer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice... What is your thoughts on the width?
    Still stock, but if i use the aqua color, under the purple guide one, it is easier to see for me... Thinking a bit wider would be better..

I was able to sync my explorer, and tracks came back... So thats good.. Glad it wasn't me on my end.
  10. SAM13

SAM13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has been covered, I searched and found nothing......
    Charged my XT the other day, plopped it into the charging mount on my bike, it was turned off, went to go for a ride today, three days later, and the unit was dead, didn’t even charge from the cradle during my ride. Anyone have the power cradle discharge their unit? I have a Gas and leave my Nav 6 in the cradle and it too goes dead in a couple days.
  11. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    My XT stays in the mount and doesn’t go dead for a week or so at a time while it is in standby. The power to it is independently switched and I leave the power supply off.

You might try turning it fully off instead of on standby.
    SAM13 likes this.
  12. SAM13

SAM13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks, I didn’t even know it had standby, thought it was off , I’ll give it another try. Guess I could read the online manual instead of just doing the “man thing” and playing with it.:doh
  13. wheel2wheel

wheel2wheel Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I am going to keep my eye on the charge status of my unit.

Like you, my XT is kept in the mount. So far I have not noticed any significant discharge. I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that the unit turns fully off by default. The reason I say this, is because the User Agreement usually, but not always, comes up whenever I turn the ignition key on to start the bike.
  14. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    I typically leave my history off so I don't really see them. But I do leave mine set at 2.0. nice middle ground when I turn it on, imho.
  15. JS_racer

JS_racer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    got ya, thanks....
    i almost always have a track of a trip planner route i want to follow. so i have that track display, then let the trip planner route direct me... adds a layer of double checking my desired roads to travel...
    i'll set up one for 2.0 and keep the original as well.... thank you again
  16. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    Fwiw, go ahead and do the two additional versions so you can switch back and forth. It only takes 2 extra minutes.

When I look in my folder, I see:

Garmin
    Garmin 2.0
    Garmin 3.0

Pick one, try it and depending on the map layer, you can quickly change as needed.

The reason why I leave it off is, I'm a street guy, and all my Trips/Routes start from home. So over time, virtually all streets in a few miles radius are highlighted so at that point, it doesn't offer much help and it just clutters things.

Now if I was interested in saving a single Track, I'd just log that one route and save it, with the history off.
    JS_racer likes this.
  17. JS_racer

JS_racer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    makes sense, thanks. i'll do that... seems easy enough
    i only have 1 track displayed, just for that route that day.... i could imagine the cluttered mess of all the tracks displayed all the time...
  18. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    If it makes you feel any better, the Montana is even lower priority...!

--mark
  19. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    LOL, I'll settle for tied for last place.
  20. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, nice fit. Good work ! IMG_7829.jpg
    IMG_7831.jpg
    IMG_7832.jpg
    IMG_7833.jpg
    Cru Jones and Rofor like this.