1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fwiw, I very highly recommend folks to orientate the face DOWN for the cleanest and most accurate print. (the surface with the Zumo XT print) While I'm glad your's fit well, printing it on the side is rather unstable and allows a greater degree of distortion. I just wish that Thingaverse allowed you to adjust the orientation of the uploads.
  2. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did, in the 2ND try :-)

Btw my first 3D print ever !
  3. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It does not turn completely off, just standby. I noticed the User Agreement coming up from standby now, unlike the last Zumo I had, which did not.
    wheel2wheel likes this.
  4. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    Looks like a very nice printer!
  5. Bobo

Bobo Are we there yet? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't read the last 50 pages yet so pardon me if my reply is redundant.

On the 660 if you bypass a shaping point it will recalculate to the next waypoint(announced) or shaping point (unannounced). Easy peasy. Not so on all GPS after the 660. Now it will recalculate to the next waypoint and ignore shaping points.

I usually put a couple waypoints in the first mile or two so that if I happen to miss one then I can skip it and the next one is nearby and I am good. Also I put various waypoints along the way. Shaping points are merely a suggestion - you can't count on them once it if forced to recalculate. Also, something I noticed on my 590, is that if you put a waypoint right on the intersection where you are turning, you will hear "you have arrived at xxxxxx" but you will not also get the instruction to turn. For that reason, I always put the waypoint a few hundred feet from the actual turning spot. Just my 2 cents.
  6. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    To your point, I too am running into some strange and unexpected behaviors with the XT, primarily centered on the fact that it seems to discriminate against imported Trip/Routes, by refusing to let you edit or move shaping points, even though the feature is present. And, as you mentioned, sometimes Basecamp Routes are not cleanly imported, making the first point even tougher. Frankly the entire inclusion of Explorer is a friggin joke for them to add to an incoherent 'solution', that even further exasperates the problem by bring another, not very compatible app into the picture that is pretty crappy anyway. Frankly, for such nice hardware, the software is pretty bad and hard to excuse.
    sati8d likes this.
  7. moseven

moseven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has been asked before, searched and couldnt find anything.

So I finally got around to installing the power from cradle direct to the battery.

When I dock the XT it obviously turns on and stays on without starting the bike.

Does anyone know if by going direct to the battery this discharges the battery enough to cause problems? I was going to connect to a switched circuit but I like the idea of the XT staying on when I turn off the ignition. I would obviously take the XT off the mount when I'm away from the bike for any time just dont want to try and start the bike the next day only to find the bikes battery is dead.

cheers
  8. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I leave my Montana, even powered right off, overnight on my KTM 990, It wont have enough juice to start next morning. I think that unless you have a can bus equipped bike, that shuts down after a period of time, wired direct to the battery is risky.
    moseven likes this.
  9. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    The Zumo will absolutely run down your battery over time. YOU need to find a 'Switched' power source so that the cradle no longer gets power when the ignition is off.
    moseven, R2k and simon crewe like this.
  10. Bobo

Bobo Are we there yet? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    To be clear, this behavior started with the 590 and BMW Nav 5. Also I never mentioned that it is a Basecamp import problem, I don't think that it is. I find that just adding the extra waypoints as I described makes it a very minor issue. I'm still reading this thread and have not even used my XT yet, so I don't know if things are any different with the XT.
  11. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the 590 recalculates, it will do so from your current position to the next via point, ignoring any shaping points prior to that via point. This is a big problem if the route only has shaping points between beginning and end points. The route can be salvaged if you determine the closest shaping point and edit it to be a via point. If you then restart the route using that new via point as the beginning, the remaining original shaping points will be used. I understand that if you get off route using the XT, there is an new option to get back to the original path using a "Nearest Entry" choice.

If you drag the route into an intersection, a shaping point will be created rather than a via point - the point is not announced, but any turning instructions will be heard. If you have placed a via point in the intersection you can get the same result by changing it into a shaping point in Basecamp or by editing it on the 590.
  12. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got my XT and trying to pair to my Inreach mini....GPS says its incompatible?
  13. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read every post in this thread with 'track' in the text & I learned how to make the current track line thicker with MAP_TRK_CLR in the theme. I'd like to change the color but it doesn't make sense. The hex color code that is in there is a blueish, but it shows up as red?? Anybody figure this out?
  14. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    Thats what it came with when i tried to connect my se via bluetooth but it should connect your mini via ant
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  15. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I can leave it paired with my phone and then ant will connect it to the XT? That would be cool.
    Sōul-ō likes this.
  16. moseven

moseven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Simon - I'm going to go switched in the near future - all the best.
    simon crewe likes this.
  17. moseven

moseven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doing that as we speak - Thanks for help
  18. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    And then there's the Monterra, abandoned 12 seconds after product launch.
    Eltjo, tsak8, OldKenny and 1 other person like this.
  19. jeffk

jeffk n00b

Oddometer:
    When external power is lost (turn off the key etc..), the XT will start its update and shut down function unless you press the big cancel button and then it stays on with its own battery power. Best of both worlds I think.
  20. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish there was a way to stop it from always checking for an update. Maybe by disabling the WiFi? Everytime it has an update, you have to connect it to a power source anyway. Not interested in it checking at every gas station.