1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. jeffk

jeffk n00b

Oddometer:
    For anyone looking for a basic review: I used the XT for a 2 day trip through the Canadian Rockies last weekend and coming from a Montana 610, I can tell you the user interface, display and overall experience make the Montana seem like a bit of a brick. (I know the Montana is awesome for some other applications).

I could never get used to the small and dull display of the Montana or the tiny on screen buttons I always missed with my gloves on. The Zumo XT is really superior for me in every way. Angle it up and it is really easy to see if you are on the right track with a quick glance down while standing.

Also this is the first Bluetooth GPS I have had and I love how it warns me on screen and in ear of speed and red light cameras.

Attached Files:

fpalbrecht and EmmEff like this.
  2. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It obviously helps that you are riding such a good motorcycle & in one of the best colours next to the white ones!
    Its a shame mine is black. Seriously though, the XT does make the Montana look very clunky, especially on the road.We should not forget that it is now well over 10 years old.
    I think the Montana makes more sense as a rugged off road unit it wet & muddy conditions, such as we get here in the UK.
    I love my new XT, but will be holding on to the Montana for trail riding on both my KTM's.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  3. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recent Zumo models ignore the track and route colors specified in the theme. Routes are always magenta. When you select a track to display, you can pick a color with the wrench icon.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  4. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:

Agreed. I love my Montana and it has been some cool places and I won't be selling it soon. I am using a 396 now but when I head out to Alaska next year (was supposed to be this year) I will probably be getting an XT. I like the 396 but it pisses me off that I can't download Topo maps on the 396. I can use OSM but no Garmin Topo maps.

KR
    simon crewe likes this.
  5. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m struggling to move GPX files receiver in Messenger to the Drive App (to get them to the Zumo) on IPhone.

It’s like I can’t choose Drive.

IMG_7845.png

Am I alone / any solution?
  6. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just out for a short 1st run with the XT. I'm coming from a Montana 680 which I love because of the versatility - full screen for map or replicate full Nuvi routing screen and lots in between. I was slightly worried about the XT when ordering because of the banners and on-screen clutter but - that XT screen is AWESOME!!!. Also typed in an address to try simple routing - really quick responsive screen, probably quicker than a phone!
    The only thing that I know is going to bug me. Garmin PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE reduce the size of that stupid green banner at the top, or make it semi transparent like the +/- buttons - better still BOTH. It really only needs to be half the depth it currently is (at most).
    Please Garmin please????
  7. spangle

spangle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scroll the apps right to left until you see GD
  8. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, thank you. But GD never show up as a possible app strangely. It does if I take it from an email ?

IMG_7849.jpg
    IMG_7848.jpg
  9. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something I can't find a spec for: How long does the XT keep GPX files for? My questions is essentially, if I went out for a 10,000 mile trip and I wanted to be sure to keep a record of all of my travel, would the XT do it? If not, how many miles would it keep?

I see mine erasing some of my travel history on the map, which seems typical and not necessarily a reflection of how long it keeps GPX files for, and I was surprised that I could not browse as many dates in the past as I would have liked in the 'where I've been' app, so now I am wondering.

Thanks.
  10. spangle

spangle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you have Drive loaded on your phone it should be listed. Try scrolling down from Messenger
    AliveDK likes this.
  11. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Looks like there's finally an updated Montana on the way, with what looks an awful lot like the screen from the XT. I may need one...

https://advrider.com/f/threads/garmin-montana-700i.1459494/

--mark
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  12. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOAH. I may have to look more into this before I buy an XT. I would love an updated Montana with some of the features of the XT.

KR
  13. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last night I was messing around with the Birdseye. A couple of weeks ago when I first got the XT, I glanced at it, but always riding on the road, I wouldn't typically use satellite, but I did then catch the 19.8 mile limitation that seemed odd. So, I create a 19.8 area and download it. Great. I then noticed if I clicked again on the download arrow and spec'd another 19.8 area, I could down load the adjacent area. You just touch the new area, and overlap it a bit and download. By continuing to do do this, over time I was able to cover a pretty large area all stitched together, and it seems to work fine. I guess that begs the question, if that works, why don't they increase the 19.8 so this isn't so tedious? With the ability to download to SD, and the recent increase in the size limit, you should be able to download some fairly large areas.
  14. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know the exact answer to this, but I think it's limited by the number of days, not miles. I lost tracks from a week or more of a three week trip because I̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶g̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶a̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶d̶e̶f̶i̶n̶i̶t̶e̶l̶y̶.̶ Garmin fails to provide proper documentation for their products. I now rename and save the active tracks daily.
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  15. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what the limits are for the XT, but I do recall the tracks from my 660 lasting I believe forever. In fact, when we ran into that little glitch a while back, for quite a while the tracks were being written with very old and incorrect time stamps, and that had no effect either. I too wonder if the XT has limitation to be aware of? I haven't had it long enough to notice yet.
  16. Clammy69

Clammy69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My XT puts "Routexx.gpx" files in the GPX folder on the microSD card. As far as I know, no tracks are ever deleted automatically. They're just archived in this way. Been like that with my other Zumos as well.

Cheers!
    :super:super:super
    V-Tom and boulet_boulet like this.
  17. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the XT is writing to the SD card, it is very different from the behavior I've seen with the 590/595, which do not offer any way to save tracks or routes anywhere except to Internal Storage. The route.gpx and track.gpx files I find on my SD card are just the combined routes and tracks I have sent there from Basecamp, and have to be imported before use.

The tracks that @boulet_boulet was concerned about losing, recorded while travelling, are kept in Internal Storage, combined into CurrentTrackLog.gpx. In Basecamp, the tracks are listed as "Active Log: yyy-mm-dd hh:mm". They are recorded as you travel and at some point the oldest track recorded is deleted to make room for a new track. To preserve the data, each track has to be selected in the Track app and saved. (Or saved in Basecamp). The Track app does not offer a choice of storage locations, they are all saved in Internal Storage. Does the XT let you decide where to keep the tracks it records?
  18. Clammy69

Clammy69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Taking another look, I realize that I am mistaken. It appears that the "Routexx.gpx files" are the routes I put on the SD card from Basecamp... :baldy

On my 590, there is a folder in the internal storage GPX folder named "Archive". Inside that folder are "xx.gpx" files. THESE are the saved tracks, and they are displayed in Basecamp in the "Active Log: yyy-mm-dd hh:mm" format.

I haven't used my XT enough to have that folder be created. A coupleof days after I got the XT, my bike went down with worn out cams, and I decided to do a top end rebuild at the same time. Thanks to the craziness these days, and being stuck in the frozen wasteland of Canada, I'm going on a month down waiting for parts... :(

Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers!
    :super:super:super
  19. R2k

R2k Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a discussion with Garmin customer service today. The representative told me that the data cord USB/Mini included with unit is not sufficient/capable of charging/powering the XT. If you use a normal cord with phone charger or 12 volt source it will work. I did try to use the data cord supplied with the unit in my vehicle to power the XT, and the battery was depleted after a while. I have not attempted powering the unit with another USB/Mini cord to verify his advise, but I will.

I just thought I would pass the information along because after using the data cord to try and power unit and found it allowed the battery run down and the screen brightness to go to some low percentage to conserve power, I did not think the Mini port could be used to power the XT. I have also read on this thread others had experienced similar experience. Also of note in the manual the car charger does connect to the Mini port adding more probability that the unit can be powered with the correct combination of cord and power source.
    FireDog45, CrazyCooter and michaeln like this.
  20. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    So how do I get my waypoints to show up on the map? I imported them and can navigate to any of them, but how can I get them to show up on the map? Like out in the desert riding random and heading to the waypoint's direction?

So far, this POS really reminds me of my Dezl760 that I never bonded with.......Hoping I can make the adjustment and love it like many of you do.