Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not disagreeing with what the guy from Garmin said, but, if the USB lead supplied is not up to the job of powering/charging - how are you expected to charge the unit off the bike? I have the dedicated Garmin charger & the leads that come with that, look no different to the leads that come with the GPS from Garmin.
  2. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what happens if I receive it on email, but not on messenger.....
    Would be nice to get it to work on messenger as I already have my riding buddies listed and groups ready :-)
  3. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The problem is, many of these first line Garmin "tech's" don't have a clue and will actually pull stuff out of their backside that makes no sense.

In this case however, what he shared is actually true, but there is a caveat. Older 2.0 could pass 0.5a, and 3.0 can do 0.9a. Newer cables with 24g wires can do 1.5a, and the higher quality cables claim to be able to do more. The point though, if Garmin is saying their cable isn't capable of deliverying enough power to charge it, they are simply supplying a crappy cable. Would an extra 25 cents in bulk kill them?

That said, I have left the supplied cable attached the to XT and computer for an extended time testing Basecamp, Explorer, etc, and with the XT on, I do believe the XT did positively charge. Obviously, the XT was in File Transfer Mode, so I'm not sure if GPS is turned off, and the power consumption is reduced. I would guess that would be the case.

I have tested the XT with the GTM 35 and that puts out 2a which was fine to run. I also have a GTM 25 that does 1a and I will test that. I have not seen any documentation on how many amps the XT requires for navigating, but I would think at least 1a. However, I do think using the USB for motorcycle use is a bad idea for a number of reasons that have been tackled many times already. However, for a car, a good 24g USB cable with a 5v/2a adapter should work just fine. The good thing is, you won't hurt anything by trying.
  5. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a separate topic, an interesting thing happened today. I was getting ready for a ride and grabbed the XT in the house and turned it on to set the course. I immediately got an alert that there was an update available for the RLC file - To plug it in to the PC to update. So I fire up Express and nothing under the updater. I check the utilities too, and nothing. Weird.
  6. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Must say my first impressions of the XT were good (apart from that massive green banner) but after a short ride and test route this evening I'm not in the least impressed.
    So here's the saga - any help offered will be greatly appreciated as at the minute I couldn't trust this unit on a long trip. Firstly, picking a waypoint or map position on the XT and routing to that is fine. Here's the problem - I connected the XT to Basecamp via the usb lead. Used the maps actually on the unit and created a route in Basecamp. Transferred successfully so off I go, firing up the route I chose Closest Entry point (about 50yards away) to join the route. The banner info gives me the first road after my entry point but not the first road I enter after starting off. (?) The first waypoint is about 100yards off the route but it lets me pass it without signalling anything (is this correct?). Finally after about 3 miles and 4 road junctions and the banner info not having changed I stop and restart the route, pick the closest entry point (about 1 mile away) and a completely different route fires up nothing like my original. So I stop it, switch on Automatic recalculation and start the route again. Once more a completely weird route!
    Anyone show me the error of my ways?
  7. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same discussion going on here - https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/529800-Closest-entry-point-A-new-function-in-the-XT worth a read.
  8. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Simon, that does throw a lot of light on the subject. Even over there I see conflicting opinions on waypoints/via points and shaping points and how they work! Time for more experimenting, but that means more time in the saddle so I'm not complaining!
    simon crewe likes this.
  9. JS_racer

JS_racer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1a is not enough, it will slowly discharge on a long day.
    2a + works just fine,
    same usb cable with both adapters...
    (tested when i first got the XT, before installing the harness... i have a mount and harness on each bike)
  10. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I found at 1a it lost the battery level over time, but it did extend the time the unit ran. I suspect you would need around 1.5a to maintain an even keel.
    JS_racer likes this.
  11. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked

Oddometer:
    Charging and using are separate things. The supplied cable will charge but apparently it isn’t capable of supplying enough power to use (my hunch is it was never intended to be used that way). I was not aware that some cables were not capable of that, learned something new today.
    250senuf likes this.
  12. WA7ADV

WA7ADV n00b

Oddometer:
    Just got my XT and got it mounted and wired up. Just have to wait a few more weeks to really use it on a WABDR trip. Until then I'll just be playing around with it around home.
    What is the common setting for the display timeout? I have it set to two mintues. The thing that is bugging me is that after it times out - and I turn it back on, the warning message comes back every time. You can either accept it, or ignore it, and it will go away in a few seconds. Is there a way to make that not come up everytime? I think I read that if the map is showing and/or you're following a route or track, that the screen won't turn off. Wasn't sure I understood that correctly though.
    Do you all ride with the screen on all the time? Or will it automatically turn back on as you approach a turn or wayppoint?

Also, I'm noticing that every time I turn the XT on, it also activates a maps notification on my iphone. Any way to turn that off?
  13. T.Bone

T.Bone n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone figured out if there is a way to connect the XT to the GPS adapter on many later model BMW's. My BMW Navigator V is lost and with the new TFT screen, many of the functions used on the BMW Navigator are now on the TFT display. Would by a XT if I knew of a way to connect it (aside from using the handlebar adapter and power outlet)
  14. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a lot of confusing information in the UKGSER posts from pepople who do not even own a XT !!
    The one thing i can tell you is with the latest firmware update to the XT and the latest basecamp update
    most of the problems are now sorted
    I have found as long as you have the same map in basecamp and the same routing setting the XT works fine now :thumbup
    simon crewe likes this.
  15. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    I have a samsung a5 and a Cardo freecom 1. When i have both the gps and the phone on the cardo only connects to the xt and i have to go through the pairing procedure to lock in the cell phone. Does anyone else have the same issue?
  16. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like I've got a real rogue one then. Can't successfully navigate a route downloaded from Basecamp, on a route created on the unit (simple start here, end there, go) and I only get the first one or two voice prompts. Latest I've discovered is that simulating riding a route it just heads off in a straight line over the fields ( I have shortest distance set but this is a bit ridiculous!). Any suggestions? ( as far as possible I've set up Bascamp and the xt the same)
  17. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It doesn't get much simpler than this - a couple of screenshots. I picked a point on the road about 2 miles from home and simulated driving to it, shortest distance, no avoidance's etc. It never arrives at the destination but just continues in a straight line. Can someone please throw me a lifeline?

Attached Files:

18. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    If you've got it wired up, why are you letting the display timeout? Just leave it on; that's how it's designed to operate. Letting it go to sleep is a huge pain in the ass for exactly the reasons you've described -- plus, I don't think it keeps position while sleeping, so when it wakes up it has to reacquire (though I could be wrong about that).

Much much easier to just leave it on -- plus it provides valuable situational awareness. For example, a quick glance at the GPS every so often can warn you of sharp turns coming up, etc.

--mark
  19. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone please offer any help? Failing that a uk based support number which I can contact and talk to someone?
  20. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked

Oddometer:
    It sounds like the XT is navigating off road but you’ve stated it’s set for shortest distance so that’s likely not your issue.
    Have you tried changing the nav preference to fastest time just to see what it does?
    One other thing to check: Settings>Map & Vehicle>myMaps. What boxes are checked in there? Confirm that City Navigator is active.

I would also perform a factory reset after confirming all maps and firmware are updated.

I’m kind of grasping at straws here as I’m not really sure what’s causing your problems, good luck.