Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve, I was beginning to think everyone had left!!! Yeah I had tried Shortest and Fastest with no difference. All the maps are activated. I'm just back from another trial run ( with some success). I created a short 15mile run in Basecamp, converted it to a track and loaded into the XT. It converted it into a Trip on import which surprised me, I thought it would give me a choice. Anyway, the route started from home but I headed off to get fuel first then on coming back and approaching the route start I started it and picked "Nearest Entry point". It picked up fine and worked perfectly. Even when I deliberately went off route (no recalc) and joined in later on it continued on perfectly! More testing but at least I'm getting somewhere! Thanks for coming back and offering your help.

Ian.
    FireDog45 likes this.
  2. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you driven with the unit yet? If the unit has only been stationary the 'EULA' shows every time. Once you start using the unit, the message disappears.
    If the unit is powered on a bike or in a car, I think I am correct in saying it will not time out. It only times out if running on internal battery power. Whilst riding / driving in the car my XT screen stays 'live' all the time, I cannot imagine why it would be practical to have it any other way. After all mine shows speed limits. speed cameras, temperature & a whole lot more on the screen, even when I am not navigating.
  3. simon crewe

Oddometer:
    Garmin UK no. 0808 238 0000
  4. simon crewe

Oddometer:
    I would imagine you probably wont be buying an XT, if you are hoping it will integrate with the BMW.
  5. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Simon, with today's trial I'm going to play a bit more with tracks and converting them to trips to see how well that works with longer journeys. I am puzzled by some other oddities though, I never get next action or distance to next action in the top left of the display as the manual says I should for instance.

Ian
    simon crewe likes this.
  6. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    There should be no reason why you cannot import routes. Converting tracks is a roundabout way of doing what you want
  7. Gtwo

Gtwo Old,slow and havin' fun Supporter

Oddometer:
    Triplog, I currently have a 390 and am looking to upgrade to the XT. I regularly do what you describe as I prefer to follow a track instead of a route. Am I correct that a 'trip' is like a route? If yes I would not like my track converted to a trip with no choice. Can you or someone possibly clarify for me.. Thanks..
  8. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve loaded trips into an XT and saw no conversion. Tracks is under apps. Open the track and check display on map.
  9. TripleThreat719

TripleThreat719 Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    It is possible to simply import tracks and display them on the screen. However, I have found that an imported track (imported from basecamp, or copied to the unit using Garmin Drive) that contains waypoints, doesn't display the included waypoints on the screen, and you have no control over the appearance of waypoint. It places them in your favorites, but doesn't display them. However, if I import the track by using Garmin Explore, then the waypoints show on the screen, and you can pick from a wide variety of icons for the waypoints. Odd behavior...

You do not have to convert a track to a trip. You do have that option, which is actually kind of nice if you prefer to get voice prompts for navigation (and the track actually follows routable roads).
    nibby and Gtwo like this.
  10. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Emmeff, yes I know that and have never had to do it before, if you look at my previous posts you'll understand that I'm at my wits end trying to get this thing to work as it should.
    Gtwo 'Trip' is seemingly the new Route! I would have preferred to try following the imported Track (although I've never had to do this before) but as I said earlier it was automatically converted to a Trip on import.
    Scfrank that was the first thing i did - nothing there.
    TripleThreat719 my intention was to import the track, convert it so i could have both the Track and Trip on screen for comparison, I'm sure I've seen this suggested somewhere earlier in this thread. I'll try it again as that was a first time attempt and i may have missed something.
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions, i was really looking forward to changing to this unit from my Montana 680, but at the moment i would have no faith in it for a long or multi day trip.
    Gtwo likes this.
  11. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok firstly - Apologies - in Basecamp I transferred the Trip, not the Track DOH!
    Now transferred the track and able to make a Trip from it so will get out in the next day or two for some further testing. Another thing which I can't get to the bottom of is simulating a route. 100yards from my home location is a bend in the road, nomatter whether I try simulating the route from home or the 1st junction after that bend the simulated vehicle simply heads off north in a straight line and never reaches it's destination! The banner at the top, voice instructions and distance to next turn are always correct but not the vehicle position. Grrrrrrrr.

Attached Files:

CavReconSGT likes this.
  12. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've finally sussed it!!! I had loaded onto the XT topo maps from a website called TalkyToaster (https://talkytoaster.me.uk/). I use these on the Montana and they really are brilliant BUT the XT simply doesn't like them. I've disabled them and loaded a route created in Basecamp. This is running properly in the simulator mode and I've now got voice prompts, Distance to next and Next Direction in the top LH corner of the screen and speed limits on the bottom LH side. In other words - working as it should. I'll try it for real later tonight but all looking good at the moment. Thanks for the help and guidance offered which made me persevere!
    Now - can anyone recommend good Topo maps for the UK and Ireland ? Preferably routable but I'll consider alternatives.

Thanks again
    Ian
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  13. TripleThreat719

TripleThreat719 Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Glad you got it sorted...
  14. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah the maps were the last thing I would have thought on as they work so well in the Montana. I decided to drop out everything I could and work from there. Just tried a short trip in the car, even went deliberately off route and it picked up again as soon as I rejoined.
  15. simon crewe

Oddometer:
    Ian - The XT will not run English Ordnance Survey maps, so for Topo's you are left with whats on the unit itself or Open Street Maps, which are pretty good. http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  16. Triplog

Triplog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Simon, I've used them before but not on a gps. Will have a look.

Regards
    Ian
  17. WA7ADV

WA7ADV n00b

Oddometer:
    I think i have the EULA thing sorted after riding to work today. For the screen time out - I was thinking it would be like my phone, in that the zumo screen could be turned off, but then automatically alert when approaching a turn or waypoint etc... There are plenty of times when I have no need to have the constant info provided on the zumo screen. I suppose I'll just turn the brightness down and see if that helps it be less 'on all the time'.
  18. WA7ADV

WA7ADV n00b

Oddometer:
    And now for a new question - I have a thread going on the FB xt page, but thought this group might be more helpful.
    Are there any Sena pros here? I have a 30K headset, and trying to connect my iphone, a SR10 radio adapter, and now the zumo.
    I have the SR10 paired to the 2nd mobile phone slot, and the zumo to the GPS slot.
    I can get audio through to my helmet from each device separately, but not at the same time. It seems to only pick up one or the other, which ever is powered on first. iphone audio (music or phone calls) still work normally.

The SR10 manual says to use it as a gateway, pairing the 30K, and then my iphone to it. But then I don't have full function to my iphone from the 30K. So I started over again and am using the 30K as the main hub for everything else.
  19. R2k

R2k Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why not connect your phone to the XT, then connect the XT with mobile phone pairing to the 30K. Then the SR10 to the second mobile phone pairing.
  20. WA7ADV

WA7ADV n00b

Oddometer:
    I can try that. I won't always be riding with the zumo though, and will still want my phone paired to the 30k. trying to avoid having to reset everything everytime I change ride types.