Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by VCheng, Feb 25, 2020.

1. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, yeah I do have that. I'm not doing a full power install just the mount and then either battery power for day rides and a SAE to USB charger. I was thinking a cover for back of the device not the power cable. Thanks.
  2. fpalbrecht

fpalbrecht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the XT. Transferring files, Touch screen, seeing the screen, apps, updates via wifi, calls/text appear on screen, even route planning. Just got back from a quick camping trip and it was great. For me, coming from the 680 much, much better. 20200716_153846.jpg 2020_0807_19240200.jpg
  3. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
  4. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    Sōul-ō likes this.
  5. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wondering if anyone else's screen changes on its own in heavy rain. Was in some yesterday, and my XT kept changing to different screens on its own. Could not find anything online about it, or how to change the sensitivity of the screen.
  6. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a side effect of water droplets on a capacitive touchscreen. Nothing you can do about it other than take it out direct exposure to raindrops.
    HeliMark likes this.
  7. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    They make a screen shroud for the 660, etc. not sure if that could be adapted.
  8. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    ive been using 1 of these on a stick on gopro style tether
    Annotation 2020-08-15 085155.jpg
    Bungee Tie Down for Camping

hooked it onto the tether and have cut it shorter so if it did come off theres little stretch in it to let it fall and dangle to much
    the original tether strap was just to long IMHO
    lots of them from fleabay
  9. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to this forum we have a way to make the track lines thicker. Anyone know how to make the secondary roads more visible at say 0.8 zoom level. They are there but so faint. Easier to see these roads at that zoom level on a old Montana. Would be nice if they showed similar to the 276cx.

Hard to believe Garmin says this is an adventure bike device when you can barely see roads you might want to explore. I am constantly looking for opportunities on the fly. So easy to do with the 276cx, but the Zumo is useless for my old eyes in this regard. Love the other features and the device as a whole. Just wish those roads were more visible.
  10. MaineDrummer

MaineDrummer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this has been covered, but hoping for new info...
    Is anyone making a mount besides the backordered Touratech that secures the GPS to a mount with confidence?
    While the stock mount fits tight to the GPS, the latch has a crisper 3lb. release with a let-off than mimics the trigger on some of my best rifles, and seems its just waiting for a simple "bump" to eject the XT into the dirt and have it be gone forever....
    I can't be the only one concerned about this....
  11. wheel2wheel

wheel2wheel Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is this one. A locking latch prevents the release lever from being depressed until unlocked. However, the lock does not secure the XT to the mount, other than what I described.

https://www.zumolock.com/index.php/en/
  12. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

I have one of those and it prevents theft, works well. But does not really provide any more secure mount. It just prevents using the release tab as mentioned.
  13. wheel2wheel

wheel2wheel Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one as well. I bought the lock primarily to prevent the unit from being released by accident, it works well in this regard.
    scfrank likes this.
  14. XRLated

XRLated Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is it true that the Zumo XT does not charge via mini USB when the device is powered off?
  15. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know about when the xt is shut off but it seems to charge and work fine when plugged into the USB charger supplied with the Auto mount.

..Tom
    FireDog45 likes this.
  16. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have just fitted the Touratech mount for all the reasons that you outlined (I am normally not a big TT fan). It took about 12 weeks to arrive, I have to save it is a really good bit of kit, although on the large size. There is no way the XT is going anywhere, and I can leave the unit locked when I stop for fuel.
    I think the Zumo lock is an expensive waste of time, especially when compared to the TT unit at Euro 108.
  17. MaineDrummer

MaineDrummer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone!
    In spite of the size and weight, I'll be picking up the TT mount. The cost difference is small compared to the apparent level of overall security it'll provide.
  18. JS_racer

JS_racer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got the xt case I have had on order for 2 months... this thing is way thick for the xt. In the case it is able to flop around inside.. the xt is about the thickness of 1/2 say the top or bottom, but both combined it's about twice as thick as needed. The case is nice, but fits more like I would expect a generic amazon case to fit..
    (My tomtom rider case fit great, secure, snug, amd very solid)
  19. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree. The XT is the same thickness as the 660 but the XT case is at least a third thicker. It still fits in my jacket pocket but people are wondering why I ride with a dictionary on me. I don’t think it’s as nicely made as the 660 case. The zipper sides are too wide so it doesn’t close snugly and I don’t think the fabric/EVA stuff is as durable. However there’s plenty of room for the USB cable.
  20. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    I have had the TT mount for the Montana 600 and now the Zumo 396. I liked it a lot for the Montana, I love it for the 396 and the design change is the same for the XT. I have always felt that the mount was outstanding. I have used it on many rough and some very rough roads with not a single problem. I am planning on getting either a XT or more likely the Montana 700 in the near future and will get the TT mount for it. I expect that mount to carry it to Deadhorse and Tuk and back for me.

KR