Garmin's new GPS V and Other Ramblings

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Marc, Sep 15, 2001.

?

Do you use a GPS on Your Bike?

1. Yes - Hard Mounted

2. Yes - Carried in Bag

3. No - But I want one

4. No - No way.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    ...appears due out in early October. [​IMG] Yes, the feature set provides everything an adventurer would want. However, in reading the specs on the Garmin site, I find no mention of a USB cable connection (just a PC Interface Cable)!!!

In speaking with two Garmin resellers, I was told that they're working real hard to get the USB cable working so that it will ship with the unit. If you haven't experienced it, downloading 16 MB of maps with a serial cable is a several-hour affair, where using the USB cable only takes a couple of minutes. In other words, the missing cable is a deal breaker.

If I find out more (and I'll be looking), I'll post it here. In the meantime, one of the best sources for GPS information is Joe Mehaffey's page. He's basically got everything you want to know about GPS's on his excellent page.

Marc
  2. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had not thought of the diff between downloading using Serial and USB. Been looking at them so this info helps.
    Thanks Marc
  3. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    You have to get one with the card, so you can use the Garmin usb card reader. very fast. anything else is unacceptable for a 64mb card or larger. I have the Streetpilot twins with 64mb cards and they work great. Durable and waterproof.
  4. Sparky

Sparky .

Oddometer:
    You'd better tie down your computer then. Wouldn't want it to fall over.

- S
  5. Killen

Killen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Garmin Street Piot mounted on my GS using the Toura Tech alloy mount. It have been great and steady on and off pavement.

The best source that I have found is cycoactive.com. The mount has the ability to LOCK your GPS in place if you wish to leave it unattended for great lenghts of time on the bike.

:):
  6. Red Bull

Red Bull Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a GARMIN Vtrex Vista, (see photo attached). It has more memory cost $200 less than the "GPS V" and otherwise is very similar (but WAY smaller) This photo is takes in a dark light (with poor quality camera) and you notice its "OK" for tracking... but ALL GPS's should be glanced at... not stared at while driving! I swapped-out the Garmin handlebar mount (it seems just too weak to last off-road) and returned the Touratech since the advertised "included power cable" was no longer available (geez for $100 bucks you think they would include it!) I finally selected the R-A-M mount... it's hold the unit snugly and I supplement a rubber band to lock it in tight at the top. R-A-M mounts are awesome and provide many different options on how to secure the unit. I elected to mount it to my Hepco Becker tank bar so it's side-by-side my RID display. BTW- with 24 megs or ram I have uploaded 4,000 miles of maps and still had room for more... it's just slow to upload I load all CA, NV and forget about it until I go on a longer trip.
  7. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Bummer. I just found out the new Garmin GPS V will only be shipping with a serial cable and NOT the USB attachment. This means that your download times are at least 40X slower for maps, etc. IMHO, a deal-breaker.

However, in my extended search for information, I turned up this page on Joe Mehaffey's web site. The Garmin "Easter Eggs" are dangerous and may delete all of your data, so I had to try them! Well, on my Street Pilot, holding down the "Mark" button while powering on the unit gave me a cool screen that told me a). internal battery voltage, b). external power source voltage (GS voltage), c). temperature in deg. C, and d). some other crap. Way cool. One of the things I really missed when I upgraded from the III+ to the SP was the missing voltage indicator. Now I've found it.

I'm going to hold off upgrading my SP until they make a USB connection for the GPS V. Let me know if you try and succeed in making any of the other modes work.

Marc