Gas bag on weekend trip?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Shakey23, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Shakey23

Shakey23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been on a couple long trips where I’ve almost run out of gas. My 32oz msr bottle was, uncomfortably, just enough. Once running across New Mexico where fuel stops are few and far between, once in the Alpine Loop, and once in Arkansas when I drove an hour to my planned fuel stop and realized I left my wallet about an hour away in the middle of nowhere. Yes, it was my fault each of those times, however I realize the value of spare fuel. That said I was considering a 1gal. Giant Loop Fuel Bag. I like the idea of strapping it to the top of my top case where it is out of the way.
    To those that have experience with these bags, is it ok to leave fuel it in for a couple days? I have read comments that say pour it into the tank as soon as possible. But I want it for emergency purposes, for 2-3 days max.
  2. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    :lurk

watching this, I bought a GL 1 gal bag and have not used it yet...
  3. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    1.5 L, about 51 oz., typically 24 bucks.

Primus bottle --Just an idea, works for me.

Mount it diagonally behind a pannier rack, etc.

Primus_1.jpg

DrySpec Bottle Mount Kit

dryspec bottle mount.jpg

Around $20.00

I have mine enhanced with two conventional metal hose type clamps.

I ran an aluminum piece diagonally behind a pannier rack to mount to.
    Two bolts and I can swap out the fuel bottle for a second tool tube if I wish.
    I typically only carry the fuel on a longer out-state trip.

primus1.jpg
    Glenn247 likes this.
  4. Shakey23

Oddometer:
    Thank you 9Realms. While I appreciate the comment, however I am not looking for alternative solutions at this time.

66EDC806-BC65-4146-AB67-59BB89BEF769.jpeg
    I may end up mounting the double bottle holder but I don’t really want to go that route with plastic panniers. Hence the gas bag solution....maybe.
    9Realms likes this.
  5. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I carried a cheap chinese 'fuel bag' for a number of years. It worked very well the first few times I used it...only filling it up when I knew I had a long stretch ahead of me and dumping it in as soon as I had room in the tank. However, the last time I tried to use it, the threads had gone soft and I couldnt get it to seal properly. So I had to use some straps to hang it upright on the outside of my pannier until I could dump it into the tank. So, I guess if you go that route, it'll work OK a few times.

I'd suggest spending the extra $ to get the real deal Giant Loop bag.
  6. Shakey23

Oddometer:

My thoughts exactly. I was looking at the Desert Fox but after reading about the filler neck falling into the outer bag I decided on the Giant Loop. I am 99% set on this bag but before I spend $150 on it I want to make sure it’ll suit my needs. I’ll only use it 2 or 3 times a year so I want to make sure it’s worth the investment. I was considering adding a mount for a second bottle, but I am hesitant due to the weight and plastic panniers. Twisted throttle sent an email with the desert fox bag which sent me down the fuel bag path.
    phreakingeek likes this.
  7. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I used an MSR Dromedary 10L size as a fuel bag a few times in Baja and Nevada to extend my range. Because it's not designed for gas, it stinks and has to be stored outside. Also, it's not really designed to be tied down on a motorcycle and it's a bit like trying to tie down jello. So I did use it as soon as possible. I relied on that gas to make some long, remote sections. Using it as soon as possible ensured that if there was some kind of fuel bag failure, I could still make it back to where I came from rather than getting stuck out of gas in the middle of BFE. It was great being able to fold up the bag so it didn't really take up any space for the rest of the trip. A dedicated fuel bag would be even better.
  8. KC10Chief

KC10Chief Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my rides, the only gas bag is me. I've come close a couple of times though to running out of fuel. The bigger fuel tank on the DR650 was my solution but not all bikes have that option these days. I'd like to get out to Death Valley this winter and ride out there. There's some distances out there that will put the 250 mile range on my DR to the test too. So... following this. Not sure if I like the idea of a bag or not. I take it they're pretty durable? I have a Giant Loop tank bag and it's a quality piece of gear for sure.
    Shakey23 likes this.
  9. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best Rest products used to make a product called Peg Packers that provided a mount on each passenger peg. I think that might be an option for an occasional 8-10 litres.
  10. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got the 6L Desert Fox. With any soft sided fuel container (RotoPax styles included), I dump it into my tank as soon as there is room. First, the fuel tank on the bike is designed to survive the occasional get-off. Second, most folks strap their fuel packs on top of luggage, putting the weight up high.
    Also, sitting in the sun fuel bags get warm, pressurize and balloon up.
    black 8 likes this.
  11. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I debated between a bladder, bottles and rotopax. I got the rotopax 1 gallon. I mount it on the tail plate. That's about 8 fluid pounds and 2 mount and jug pounds high and far back. So far, so good.
  12. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Metal bottles aren't so bad for fuel storage. They are truly designed for the purpose, are tough, light and can often be packed lower on a bike than other options. They just don't hold much.

I put a 1.6G (6L) tail tank on one of my bikes (ADVtank). It is really well designed, tough and drains automatically into the vent on the main tank, so the weight of the fuel up high decreases pretty quickly. But that is also because the bike only has a 3.7 G tank and with the extra I can go well over 300 miles when I need to.
  13. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned with the bags is DOT. FWIW I don't think any of the bags are legal on the road in the USA.
    In this order, this is how I deal with gas:
    1. Bite the bullet and install a larger main tank.
    2. Planing. Do the math and know what you are getting into. Be aware of your speed. There is usually a huge difference in a bike's range going 45 MPH vs 75 MPH.
    3. 800ml MSR bottle. On my bike that's 15-18 mile reserve.
    4. Last resort- large Gatrade bottle. If I use that I put it in my tank ASAP. That's another 20 miles on my bike.
    PhotoAl and Glenn247 like this.
  14. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    reading a old ride report from africa, he used collapsible wine containers, seemly popular in europe. refilled for 2 weeks before leaving . No leaks just didnt leave room for expansion and the nice cover delaminated for the actual container.
    these are found very cheap online.
  15. Turumarth

Turumarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't understand why you don't want to pour it into your tank once there is room. It has no impact on the amount of fuel you are carrying. Just means you'll need to fill both your tank and you bag at fuel stops, seems preferable to carrying around litres of volatile liquid in a less-secure container when you don't have to...
    atpalmer likes this.