Gas before Dempster? Klondike River Lodge?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by WhicheverAnyWayCan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Preparing for Alaska trip in summer of 2021. Plan to travel Dempster up to Tuk as last part of the trip. Wondering if Klondike River Lodge is still selling gas? I found article that fire burned down the building, but satellite map is showing there are few building intact so I assume it is still in business? If not selling gas, coming from Dawson City, where can I top tank before getting to Eagle Plains? Thanks in advance for answering.
  2. kegonlegs

kegonlegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Klondike river lodge is toast, but there is a cardlock gas station. This is the only gas in between Dawson and eagle plains. Make sure you have enough fuel to go over 200 miles when leaving Dempster corner.
  3. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Much appreciated!
  4. 'Bob'

'Bob' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The card lock pumps at the start of the Dawson were not working when we rode up in June 2019 but were working when we returned three days later. We had a couple of extra gallons each so no worries. Weather-road-riding conditions on the Dempster may not give you the same gas mileage you're used to, plus you may need a little extra gas in gas you have to turn back before the next fuel station. Most folks just fill a cheap two gallon before they leave Dawson and 'donate' it when they come off the Dempster.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  5. kegonlegs

Oddometer:
    Another thing to take into consideration is the distance from Eagle plains to Inuvik is almost the same. Instead of packing the extra weight I always go into Fort Mcpherson for fuel and a gawk. But be forewarned the gas stations do close down and you lose an hour at the border. Time really has no meaning up there and you could be running late as you stop for the zillionth postcard picture or a mechanical. On that note I have bought fuel from locals once when in a bind, and most people travelling on the highway always stop and make sure everthing is ok when your stopped.
  6. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all who replied. I know there is gas store outside of Dawson City going toward Whitehorse so I'll plan to fill up there and hope that the gas store at intersection of Dempster Hwy/Klondike Hwy is working just to top it.. worse case scene ride slow from that gas store in Dawson City to Eagle Plains with spare fuel cans.
  7. 'Bob'

Oddometer:
    We couldn't top up after we left Dawson as the card lock at the start of the Dempster was out of gas. I didn't spare the GS between Dawson and Eagle Plains because I had an extra two gallons but easily made it from Dawson to Eagle plains without topping up. Regular GS not the GSA.
    IIRC the gas hand started counting down the remaining range when it showed around fifty kilometres left and of course it flatlined at zero. After it hit zero range left around 30 kms fro Eagle Plains. I was curious when it would run dry and force me to top up. I made it into Eagle Plains no problem.
    The extra gas was good to have but not needed as there were no road closures or incidents forcing us to turn back and we didn't meet others out of gas etc.
    Millwright98 likes this.
  8. kegonlegs

Oddometer:
    Another thing I like to do when travelling up the highway is to try and reduce as much load as possible. Really look at what you will possibly need out of what you are carrying, i have stashed stuff off the side of the road near the start. No sense in packing stuff not needed, and you can pick it up on the way south. Never had any animal issues with stash. Also put any packed fuel into bike ASAP to get weight off of the bike and into the tank to centralize weight distribution a little better. If it has rained and muddy certain sections can really suck on heavier bikes.
  9. 'Bob'

Oddometer:
    Absolutely!
    Shout out to The Bunkhouse in Dawson City here... we stayed there before and after our trip to Tuktoyaktuk so we stored what we didn't need in their lockers there and donated our gas cans to them afterwards.
    The Bunkhouse also has a pressure washer and a place to do some routine maintenance. Nice setup popular with riders.
  10. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    That was a value information. Originally I was planning to camp at the campground cross from the river but I'll look into The Bunkhouse. Thanks!