Gas Cap / Fuel Door lock broken

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by wildwestmoto, Sep 3, 2019.

1. wildwestmoto

wildwestmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a renter return a bike with the gas cap lock broken. I never got the full story from him as I was not here when he returned the bike. The key would just spin without moving the locking slide. I started taking it apart when springs went flying. I am now trying to put it all back together but can't find any videos or pictures of what it should look like. There are a few pieces that I can not figur out where they should go. I have a new part on order but will need to take it apart to install the correct locking cylinder. I would like to avoid screwing that one up so I am trying to practice on the broken one, maybe it is not even broken, I don't see anything wrong with it. I had to order a new one just incase I can fix this one because the bike is headed back out next week. Has anyone seen a thread,pics, or video of the internals of the fuel cap? 2014 800gsa
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    it is a real pain in the ass....
    In a case of mistaken bravo I took mine apart in a hotel parking lot in Guate. because the latch was sticking and cap would not stay down....
    There are two small coil springs and two small leaf springs and some other shit ...............
    I may have taken a picture of mine dis-assembled.....
    let me look .
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Can't find them ...............................sorry ... maybe I didn't take any ...
    It would not have been TOO bad if I'd had some grease with which to "stick" things in place while I re-assembled it...
    but of course I only had some motor oil and that wasn't viscous enough...
    I finally ended up using a little hair conditioner ... don't laugh it was all I had ...
    :loco
  4. wildwestmoto

wildwestmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I figured it all out. I will make a video of it soon. If anyone is reading this that has a similar problem search my channel on YouTube Wild West motos

I will try and remember to return to this tread and post a link when it is done.
    morfic likes this.
  5. (I^2)R/746

(I^2)R/746 Rider

Oddometer:
    Depending on the mileage the cap may be warrantied. Federal emissions thing. It's emissions equipment.