Gas Gas Ranger 2020 review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by B1, Jul 9, 2019.

1. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    The Gas Gas Ranger is an interesting addition to the Spanish two stroke line up. It falls within the hybrid category - enduro bikes that have a slight trials influence. So it's a bit lighter than the EC300, a tighter turning circle, lower seat height, softer suspension, and tuned for grunt instead of top end.

UPDATE: KTM has bought into Gas Gas, the original Gas Gas models will continue (with some changes) under the new name of Rieju in Spain... see below for more info.

The result? A bike that's suitable for less experienced riders, or those more into slower harder terrain. Previously the main bike in this category was the Beta Xtrainer. In some respects the Gas Gas Ranger is better, with superior suspension and better handling at speed. But the Gas Gas also weighs a few more kilograms and has a bit less punch at low revs, something that might sway the serious hard enduro style riders.

Some good news, there's been a lot of debate because Gas Gas websites have been showing the Ranger is 2kg heavier than the EC250 and EC300, when of course it should be lighter. We put both bikes on our industrial scales and found the Ranger is somewhere between two and three kg lighter (not exact due to accessories fitted).

GAS GAS WILL CONTINUE BUT UNDER A NEW NAME
    The original Gas Gas models with continue with some changes. Rieju in Spain has bought the intellectual and industrial property used to build GasGas enduro models which will continue under the RIEJU brand.

https://adbmag.com.au/editorial/rieju-to-manufacture-enduro-models-on-gasgas-platform/

The investment made by RIEJU will see the GasGas 300 two-stroke as we know it today manufactured under the RIEJU brand at its plant in Figueres, Spain. Distribution of new bikes will start in June. Rumours are circulating that suggest RIEJU is currently updating the platform to modernise a few key aspects including relocating the starter motor. Jordi Riera, CEO of RIEJU, S.A. said “This agreement allows RIEJU an immediate presence in the off-road competition segment with larger capacity machines than usual for Rieju, as well as a significant expansion of our client portfolio, and important openings to new markets. We are very excited for this new adventure and the enormous challenge that this entails. We have enormous experience in our design, manufacture and distribution structure, so we are convinced that this project will be a success for our company." RIEJU was founded in 1934 and currently manufactures more than 12,000 motorcycles annually in its facilities in Figueres near Barcelona and exports 85% of its production to more than 40 countries. It’s known for producing small-to-mid capacity scooters, trailbikes and roadbikes.
    Ginger Beard, eakins and swamp like this.
  2. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    They seem to have done a full 360 with this once failing company!

A1C9500C-FC17-4E65-A0FC-DA362E460BA8.gif
  3. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bitingdog likes this.
  4. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked at one of these the other day - intrigued

Has anyone out there got any thoughts?

@B1 review is great - hard to find any other English-language reviews
    B1 likes this.
  5. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    KTM has bought Gas Gas.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    It would be great if a mfg, any mfg, did this factory with a 4 stroke motor too. Seems popular now with 2 strokes, but some of us prefer 4 strokes.

No shortage of us older & shorter guys who want to just wander around on real good equipment.

High spec suspension, lower seat seat 33-35", modern FI engine tuned for lower rpm grunt...grunt like a XR400 motor.

Sure proper enduros can be lowered thru various methods, but I'm talking from the factory. Frame and suspension working as 1 not an after thought.

Low ploder Japanese play bikes don't count. Kawi sorta attempted with the new 300 but came up short, too much recycling and cost cutting.

Seems no one has done it?
    Maybe the Chinese/GPX will as the Euros and Japanese are not interested.
    Bucho and Beezer like this.
  7. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can get a better result by lowering AND valving/springing your suspension after purchasing every time.

GPX has your thumpers. They are grunty and smooth, no pesky power in the curve at all. With another well spent $5/600 your on a fully customized set of legs at your chosen height, for your weight, terrain and skill.

Doing it in the production line makes very little sense. Riders can be short and light, short and heavy, very short, very heavy, short and fast and heavy, slow, short not so heavy... etc. one does not fit all.
    Bitingdog and Nobade like this.
  8. wakewop

wakewop Hucker

Oddometer:
    Sherco has their 300 4 stroke, however it doesn’t have the lower seat height. I was very intrigued with it until I sat on one and the seat height was just a bit too tall for what I’m looking to transition to (coming off an 07 450 xcw).
    Could lower and do suspension work, but at the current selling price of the bike it means a final cost that is out of my wheelhouse.
  9. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    So back to the Gas Gas 300 EC Ranger

Has anyone had a chance to ride one of these?

If so, thoughts?

In particular, the motor - said to be less grunt than the Beta XT, but is it (the Gas Gas) sufficient ... ?
    B1 likes this.
  10. splicer64

splicer64 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought I would revive this thread as I only came to find the Ranger. I found out today the only Ranger bikes in the USA were brought over for magazine articles. Gas Gas had no intention of bringing the Ranger to the states, I think the bike would do well but then again why not sell you a screamin enduro for 10/11k...:(
    Anybody with any comments on the 200/300 from across the pond please let us know...Thx!
    B1 likes this.
  11. Slower rider

Slower rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They’re here now MR-300 , and Ranger in State side , read over in ThumperTalk the other day.
    B1 likes this.
  12. stumpmj

stumpmj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    B1 likes this.
  13. davehg

davehg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sat on a Ranger today - I could flatfoot it much easier than my Husky TE310. Like the suspension and larger gas tank and Kickstarter. It’s really tempting me away from the Beta Xtrainer, primarily due to the suspension.

My main concern (please feel free to allay):
    - lots of post on the 2019 GasGas starter issues, and not sure if they upgraded the starter on the Rieju
    - general concerns about small foreign bike maker and parts availability and aftermarket support. I learned with the Husky TE310 (Italian version) that it does limit the choice of aftermarket bits.

But I am pretty intrigued and will keep researching. If Beta offered an upgraded suspension option this would be an easier decision
  14. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    I know a former Gas Gas dealer who'll be selling the Rieju models soon. There were only a few minor tweaks of the old style starter motor so probably not a lot of changes there. At least like KTM's old style starter it's all very accessible and easy to slap a bit of grease in occasionally to defer problems or fix them.

The suspension is definitely better than the Xtrainer unless you are focused on slow trials-style riding. Remember it's not brilliant though! E.g. the incredible KYB SSS suspension on Yamahas has made some guys think anything by KYB will be amazing... the KYB used on the Ranger is definitely a lower grade. Heavy or aggressive riders will probably be getting it resprung and revalved.
    Bitingdog and davehg like this.
  15. davehg

davehg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks B1. I did some research and it looks like the starter motor is now sourced from Japan, so hoping they resolved the older issues. The bike really is starting to tick the boxes.
    B1 likes this.
  16. Gobius

Gobius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, @davehg, did you get a Ranger? I just sat on one today at Frank's, and I too find it a very intriguing possibility. I see it's in your sig line, so what gives?

Edit: Never mind - found it in the other thread.
    B1 likes this.
  17. davehg

davehg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve done one longer ride and will do another today in Tanya. Loving the bike. Only nit is the brakes feel like they can use more bite, but I am a heavier rider and they may be bedding in with only 20 miles
    B1 likes this.
  18. davehg

davehg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    B1 likes this.
  19. Gobius

Gobius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha! I'm currently riding an AJP PR4, so I'm sure whatever brakes it has will feel like an upgrade to me!
    B1 likes this.
  20. Slower rider

Slower rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Over on Facebook Rieju USA has the new updates on the 2022 models for the Ranger and Race and Pro supposed to be out soon to Dealers , so they may be huge discount on the 21 models ?