Gas Gas Trials Bike at KTM dealer(s)

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Serp, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    It gets real old about halfway through the 3rd loop on a 97 degree day. :knary
    Gordy, Yinzer Moto and Norman Foley like this.
  2. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Are we men or are we boys? :lift
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the 3rd loop you should only have to kick it once!
    Junglejeff1, y4m4, 2whlrcr and 2 others like this.
  4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many times did Garret have to kick his bike on the 3rd loop at lake fork? :lurk
    Huzband, 2whlrcr and Norman Foley like this.
  5. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    At least twice. He should put that s3 kit on his bike for 1500 bucks.
    Norman Foley and Yinzer Moto like this.
  6. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    As soon as someone kills their bike in a section, restarts instantly with the button, saves themself from a five and finishes with a clean...everyone will want the button.
  7. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That GasGas 300 trick where you pull the bike backwards in gear to set the stroke before kicking - I still do that for my TRS 250. Pretty much just relax your leg onto the starter and she's away.
    If I didn't have the strength to start it with this method I think I would have to find a new hobby.
  8. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    A local rider has one on his 300rr and it is a well put together kit. He said it took him over 10 hours to install. It seems to work well, but I see him kicking it a lot and this fellow has definitely aged out of kicking over a bike.

For comparison, the e-start option on the TRS is $500 :deal. Judging by the average age of riders at the events I go to, TRS is gonna have a lot of converts soon.

For me, a full day spent setting is A LOT of kicking for some locations. I'm tempted to bring my recently acquired TY175 for setting because it takes no effort to start.

I ride with a fair number of guys on the "wrong" side of 70. If an e-start keeps them riding another year or two, AWESOME!
    Ditch, DyrWolf, BEEF706 and 2 others like this.
  9. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tag
  10. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I am on the wrong side of 40 and after a 2 or 3 day weekend of riding, my right knee is sore from kicking.
    Norman Foley, BEEF706 and y4m4 like this.
  11. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely. I'm not bagging the e-start. Just saying that a TRS 250 starts so easily I would be surprised if it was a problem for many riders that can still ride.
  12. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can I interest you in a one kick Montesa 300?
    jonnyc21, Yinzer Moto and Brewtus like this.
  13. Trialsguy

Trialsguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Always entertaining during chats about this at a trial to lean over and start my 4RT with a single ‘kick’ with my hand .

Then those riding the Tenaci-Wong’s laugh and push the e-start on theirs with a smile.
    jonnyc21 and DyrWolf like this.
  14. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I absolutely get it and my intent wasn't to give you a hard time. I'm 34 and hope I have another 30+ years of trials in me, but the button is already attractive. Maybe it's attrctive to me because I still don't get along with the left-side kick lever on my Beta all the time. The amazing thing is, you can absolutely compete well into your 70s if you take reasonable care of yourself. The septuagenarians I ride with can't, or won't, do the big stuff anymore. They clean my clock on the technical stuff on bikes made in the 70s. We have people in their mid-sixties who are solid advanced level riders (our classes go nov-ama-int, adv-exp-pro). Some of these people can barely walk a section, but boy can they ride.

It's not just "can I kick it?" but "can I kick it all day?". I ride with plenty of folks that have trouble finishing 3 loops because their old bodies can't keep up. I see the button as a way to finish more loops with people I really enjoy riding with. Maybe I'm just making excuses for my own laziness and desire for a new, shiny bike. :augie
    Thesolidman1, Takataka, Gordy and 3 others like this.
  15. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Quoted because that knocks it outta the park! :thumb

We have guys that are much older than I that ride Int, but they can out-turn most of the Adv riders. They just can't, or won't, do any of the bigger or more dangerous stuff anymore. I get it. At 63 I can still do some biggieish stuff, but it's not the ups that get me. The drops on the other side will sometimes destroy my wrists. And I suspect those guys have the same, or more, issues. But good on them for continuing to ride & compete. I hope to do the same.
  16. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Where would you get one of those?
  17. BEEF706

BEEF706 King of the dumb dab

Oddometer:
    :rofl My 260 is either 1 or 5. Still educating my right leg :clap
    Brewtus, jonnyc21, Gordy and 2 others like this.
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not ever in gear, and not by a guy that never rode one before. If you give it a normal kick, chances of it starting is slim. Kick it as slow as humanely possible it starts right up.
    BEEF706 likes this.
  19. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Gas Gas... Starters (kick or button) are for the birds!

It's all in Japanese, but it's a decent look at the bike and Mori-san puts it through its paces a bit. Mori-san even does some really slow parking lot turns to demonstrate the control "off-idle". I really wish i knew Japanese because he actually tries stuff on the bike and doesn't always make it (3:55 on a small hill climb). Nice to not see a super-hero promo for the bike. Captions are hot garbage, don't even waste your time.
    Ditch, BEEF706, Paul7 and 2 others like this.
  20. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep I am learning, but by human nature when does not start first kick I get pissed and kick harder and faster....then have to keep slowing kick to push thru and it comes to life. The 260's I owned was not as fussy.
    lineaway likes this.