Gas Gas Trials Bike at KTM dealer(s)

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Serp, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That GasGas 300 trick where you pull the bike backwards in gear to set the stroke before kicking - I still do that for my TRS 250. Pretty much just relax your leg onto the starter and she's away.
    If I didn't have the strength to start it with this method I think I would have to find a new hobby.
  2. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    A local rider has one on his 300rr and it is a well put together kit. He said it took him over 10 hours to install. It seems to work well, but I see him kicking it a lot and this fellow has definitely aged out of kicking over a bike.

For comparison, the e-start option on the TRS is $500 :deal. Judging by the average age of riders at the events I go to, TRS is gonna have a lot of converts soon.

For me, a full day spent setting is A LOT of kicking for some locations. I'm tempted to bring my recently acquired TY175 for setting because it takes no effort to start.

I ride with a fair number of guys on the "wrong" side of 70. If an e-start keeps them riding another year or two, AWESOME!
    Ditch, DyrWolf, BEEF706 and 2 others like this.
  3. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tag
  4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am on the wrong side of 40 and after a 2 or 3 day weekend of riding, my right knee is sore from kicking.
    Norman Foley, BEEF706 and y4m4 like this.
  5. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely. I'm not bagging the e-start. Just saying that a TRS 250 starts so easily I would be surprised if it was a problem for many riders that can still ride.
  6. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can I interest you in a one kick Montesa 300?
    jonnyc21, Yinzer Moto and Brewtus like this.
  7. Trialsguy

Trialsguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Always entertaining during chats about this at a trial to lean over and start my 4RT with a single ‘kick’ with my hand .

Then those riding the Tenaci-Wong’s laugh and push the e-start on theirs with a smile.
    jonnyc21 and DyrWolf like this.
  8. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I absolutely get it and my intent wasn't to give you a hard time. I'm 34 and hope I have another 30+ years of trials in me, but the button is already attractive. Maybe it's attrctive to me because I still don't get along with the left-side kick lever on my Beta all the time. The amazing thing is, you can absolutely compete well into your 70s if you take reasonable care of yourself. The septuagenarians I ride with can't, or won't, do the big stuff anymore. They clean my clock on the technical stuff on bikes made in the 70s. We have people in their mid-sixties who are solid advanced level riders (our classes go nov-ama-int, adv-exp-pro). Some of these people can barely walk a section, but boy can they ride.

It's not just "can I kick it?" but "can I kick it all day?". I ride with plenty of folks that have trouble finishing 3 loops because their old bodies can't keep up. I see the button as a way to finish more loops with people I really enjoy riding with. Maybe I'm just making excuses for my own laziness and desire for a new, shiny bike. :augie
    Thesolidman1, Takataka, Gordy and 3 others like this.
  9. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Quoted because that knocks it outta the park! :thumb

We have guys that are much older than I that ride Int, but they can out-turn most of the Adv riders. They just can't, or won't, do any of the bigger or more dangerous stuff anymore. I get it. At 63 I can still do some biggieish stuff, but it's not the ups that get me. The drops on the other side will sometimes destroy my wrists. And I suspect those guys have the same, or more, issues. But good on them for continuing to ride & compete. I hope to do the same.
  10. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Where would you get one of those?
  11. BEEF706

BEEF706 King of the dumb dab

Oddometer:
    :rofl My 260 is either 1 or 5. Still educating my right leg :clap
    Brewtus, jonnyc21, Gordy and 2 others like this.
  12. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not ever in gear, and not by a guy that never rode one before. If you give it a normal kick, chances of it starting is slim. Kick it as slow as humanely possible it starts right up.
    BEEF706 likes this.
  13. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Gas Gas... Starters (kick or button) are for the birds!

It's all in Japanese, but it's a decent look at the bike and Mori-san puts it through its paces a bit. Mori-san even does some really slow parking lot turns to demonstrate the control "off-idle". I really wish i knew Japanese because he actually tries stuff on the bike and doesn't always make it (3:55 on a small hill climb). Nice to not see a super-hero promo for the bike. Captions are hot garbage, don't even waste your time.
    Ditch, BEEF706, Paul7 and 2 others like this.
  14. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep I am learning, but by human nature when does not start first kick I get pissed and kick harder and faster....then have to keep slowing kick to push thru and it comes to life. The 260's I owned was not as fussy.
    lineaway likes this.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    When is GG going to start selling the TXT-E? Then we can forget about electric starters/kick starters.
  16. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Just as soon as Mechatecno releases theirs...
  17. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    Ahhh, if only for a clutch......
    The same guys that will not buy an e bike because of the lack of a real clutch are often the same guys that say not to use the clutch!! :scratch

.....and....I don’t know if it’s just me, but the electric whine of these bikes is super annoying and loud. I’m out for now.
    Brewtus, DyrWolf and Yinzer Moto like this.
  18. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Last I heard, it is slated for this winter.
  19. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:

I am surprised you can still hear high pitched noises. Don’t worry, you will not be able to hear them soon.

DEDD2640-346E-4A45-8EE9-B56D8F4DDB69.jpeg
    Mow-ree, Brewtus, Paul7 and 4 others like this.
  20. BEEF706

BEEF706 King of the dumb dab

Oddometer:
    Sorry, what’d ya say? Damn kids :lol3