GAS GUY 2019 - (One year a time)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, May 12, 2019.

1. kenichi2014

kenichi2014 WingnPrayer

Oddometer:
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien

"Many people will reach a point in their lives when they have this intense desire to leave a place, whether it be a hometown, a place they moved to for a job, or a place that just gets old for them. It will bury itself in the middle of your chest, and all you’ll be able to think about is how to make the move happen in reality. Some people go as far as leaving their well-paying jobs to go and visit a new faraway place."

What exactly drives this feeling?

According to Psychology Today, “Whether or not we are granted a fresh start every year, the world is set up so that we believe it’s possible.” In reality, every day is a “new start,” but this start is not only starting a new thing, but letting go of a lot of different aspects of our lives. It involves letting go of routines and relationships as well.

“Letting go is the flip side of starting over,” writes Russell C. Smith and Michael Foster. “Most of the time it feels easier to stay with people, places, positions – until forward motion has ceased entirely, and you need a whole new way of looking at your current situation.”

"Change is a constant thing, and wanderers are just those who are looking for new, exciting adventures and are more afraid of staying in situations that are no longer fulfilling."

You my friend, seem to be filling those voids that you wander for, and at the same time allow others not in a position currently to do so in a mythical way. Some here make that connection through you. There are many out here who enjoy your character, drive and emotions parlayed out before us, that gets you where you need to be for that moment and the prize is that some out here are along for that ride with you! Take it for what it is-ride with it my friend!
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The other day, confirmation was sent to me verifying the success of our "Ride Around Ohio" Saddlesore. That is the second ride that I sent in with the (somewhat recently available) electronic submittal procedure. Of course, just like Spotwalla, I was hesitant to veer from old ways, but everything has worked out smoothly and efficiently with both of the new (for me) technologies. In the confirmation email they stated the wording on the certificate.

It reads:

This is to Certify that on the 10th of August 2019, Jeffrey Smith rode a 2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure a total of 1,016 grueling miles in less than twenty-four hours during an intense ride around the perimeter of Ohio, starting in Montpelier, traveling through the far reaches of the state to Ashtabula, Steubenville, Marietta, Chesapeake, Cincinnati, and Dayton before returning to Montpelier. The Ride Around Ohio 1000 was conducted under very strict guidelines set forth by the Iron Butt Association. Only a handful of riders from around the world have managed to solve the challenges that such a grueling ride involves. ************* Best regards, Lena Huizenga, IBA Verification lena.

- Scott blazing our trail east, into the rising sun.

P8090011-01.jpeg
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Newark, Ohio -

20190908_103837-01.jpeg
    CaseyB, B10Dave, Bigbob1 and 2 others like this.
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Our group photograph at the end of Waylin' Wayne Weekend -

69703792_10212852828470073_6492537813223866368_o.jpg

5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The package arrived for the big ride in July. It feels good to have accomplished this ride. You know, I've done two Bun Burner Gold's; one on the Mighty ST and another on the Versatile GSA - but that Great Lakes Saddlesore 3000 was harder. My two favorite IBA patches too; they look like they were made to go together.

20190915_095431.jpg

20190915_211037.jpg
    Utrider1, LeMaitre, drbuzzard and 4 others like this.
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice Jeff. You can wear them with a lot of pride. Congratulations.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  7. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well earned sir, congrats.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  8. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My mind and heart says, "Congratulations, Jeff!" My old butt and back says, "You ain't quite right." :D
    shuckinator, B10Dave and GAS GUY like this.
  9. kenichi2014

kenichi2014 WingnPrayer

Oddometer:
    Joy-Joy for you! and we are Happy for you too!
    GAS GUY likes this.
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The "Ride Around Ohio" certification and pin arrived in the mailbox yesterday.

20190916_163156.jpg
    LeMaitre, B10Dave, drbuzzard and 2 others like this.
  11. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Caught Between Time -

This little nook. In the most unsuspecting place. Squeezed in-between two century-and-a-half old buildings. In the desperate and crumbling town of Shawnee. In rural Southeast Ohio. Not a soul around. Total solitude. Complete silence. As I gazed upon this scene, a sense of poignancy slowly crept in. The only reason this little garden exists, is because it's trapped between time. If this town was bustling and rich, it wouldn't exist. If this town is any more neglected, it will soon be desolate - and the garden will perish. The garden knows this and accepts it. The impermanence. It sits in a peaceful, but delicate balance.

20190905_190028-01.jpeg

12. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    While snooping around an old train depot in Murray City, Ohio I'd walked up to an old locomotive with an open engine compartment to take a look inside - when I was startled by two eyes peering out.

20190918_153734-01.jpeg
    CaseyB, B10Dave, drbuzzard and 3 others like this.
  13. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Two-wheeled travel is a euphoric alternative to psychedelics - for opening the mind and heightening consciousness.

20190921_180948-01.jpeg
    CaseyB, B10Dave, Samspade and 6 others like this.
  14. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    "Heritage Tour" - (The Beginning)

20190922_121924.jpg

Yesterday I found and first visited my Great-Grandmother's (Lena Hassen 1907-1957) gravesite in Woodmere Cemetery in Detroit, Michigan - shortly after my 50th birthday. She died when she was 50 years-old! How ironic. She is buried with, and shares a headstone with, her husband Salem Hassen (1885-1960) who was an immigrant from Turkey and 22-years her senior. Amazing! Lena Presnell came to Dearborn from Richlands, Virginia with her young daughter Helen (my Grandmother) and married Salem. Salem took Helen as his step-daughter. This is my Fathers side, his Mothers Mother.

As I sit here under a maple tree that is casting shade over her gravesite, listening to the rustling of the leaves on the low-slung branches just overhead, I think to myself, "I'll bet she never thought her Great-Grandson who she never met (who was born 12-years after she died) would be sitting at her gravesite thinking about her. Does she know it; her spirit or soul?"

My journey continues; slowly unravelling some of the mystery that has always plagued my life. Wondering what it was like for a young women and her toddler daughter to journey from the Appalachian Mountains of Virginia to Detroit (probably by themselves) just before the Great Depression. As I tie events together and gather reflections from my Dad, Lena is the character I feel spiritually connected to. The one I suspect I'd identify with. There is something there. Perhaps the mountain mentality. My Father said, "She was a rough mountain girl - and chewed snuff." Imagine that, back in those times.

My eyes scour the immediate area for any other associated stones that could give more clues or family ties. There are a few flat stones nearby that are half covered with overgrown grass. They are indiscernible until I peel the grass back from the edges and brush the loose soil from the engravings. Nope, completely different names from another era. Looks like their stone sits all by itself.

Really weird. As I sit here typing this thunder is rumbling off in the distance. It's intensity is getting stronger. Lightning just ripped and cracked across the sky. Except we are not supposed to have any rain today. Is that her spirit speaking to me? No sooner had I walked back to the Road King - and the skies broke loose bringing a torrent of rain on this hot and humid September day. I took refuge under the entrance of a nearby mausoleum as the wind and rain had its way. The mausoleum was also cloaked by a massive oak tree, so I had double the cover as emotions coarsed through my body and thoughts raced through my mind. The rain slowed to a peaceful rhythmic rate before the sky cleared way once again for the sun. That had to be her. The strong spirit of a mountain girl.

As I rode off, with rain drops pelting my face, I reached down and lowered the passenger floorboards - so Lena could accompany me for a short ride. Her vibrant soul prematurely departed her young 50-year old body here on earth; surely she would like to ride.

She had lived and died in Dearborn on 2943 Salina Street, which was only a few miles up the road. So I took her for a pass through her old neighborhood, even though the actual house is gone and just a vacant lot remains. It's been a good day, some progress on my quest has been made.

20190922_122021.jpg
  15. kenichi2014

kenichi2014 WingnPrayer

Oddometer:
    Another Journey begins.....enjoy!
    GAS GUY likes this.
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Detroit -

20190921_120008-01.jpeg
    B10Dave, drbuzzard and kenichi2014 like this.
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    20190924_214207.jpg
    B10Dave and drbuzzard like this.
  18. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST - (or maybe we are just LOST FOR A REASON)
    Thank you @kenichi2014, your thoughtful gesture is really appreciated! - and will ride with me. I've got an idea for the rectangular medallion too; when I get around to making a trip up to Hobby Lobby to purchase a presentation case for the many motorcycle and travel related pins I've acquired over the years - it will have a place amongst them. It's the little things, the expressions, the experiences, that mean the most - and stay with us eternally. Material things become obsolete, rust, or fade away.

20190925_161056.jpg
  19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Wailin' Wayne Weekend - (Part 1)

20190907_115332-01.jpeg

Begley's Campground (New Straitsville, Ohio)

This was my kind of rally; an all-inclusive event for a more-than-fair fee. Actually, I'm ahead on this one. Especially compared to usual. I saved money. That's rare. What a bargain: Three nights of camping; breakfast was served on three mornings; dinner was prepared on three evenings; beer and water; gourmet coffee on site from Backroom Coffee Roasters out of Columbus; The John Penton Story was enjoyed under the campground pavilion with our group of adventure riders Friday evening - along with John Penton himself; and even a raffle Saturday night with piles of prizes and gear donated by sponsers. All for $125.00 registration fee.

You did have to pop for $20.00 for a 3-day trail pass - if you wanted to ride the Wayne National Forest ATV trail system. Another nice thing is those trails were accesible right from the campground. This was the Monday Creek OHV area which consists of 84-miles of trails. Oh ... and there is no water on the trails. Drinking water! That mantra would be repeated all weekend by the host and originator of the event, Chad Warner, "Take water with you, stay hydrated." No worries, I've a bag on each crash bar; each of those bags holds three bottles of water. As a bonus it is nice crash protection, kind of like those foam bumpers dangling from the hull of a boat.

Thursday - (September 5th)

On the way down, after Toledo, Route 20 was followed east to Fremont; on the west-side of Fremont I'd grab 53 south to 23 south to 95 east - which delivered me to Mount Vernon. Mount Vernon is also the jumping-off point for the Trans Ohio Trail (TOT).

- Roadside curiosities are plentiful while traversing rural Ohio.

20190905_083008-01.jpeg

From Mount Vernon I proceeded south on 13 through Newark and south of Interstate 70 to the small town of New Lexington. From this point I'd pick up 93 south and follow that down through the (almost) ghost town of Shawnee and into New Straitsville, Ohio - which was the moonshine capital of Ohio during the Depression and still home to a Moonshine Festival.

- Random murals present themselves as you pass through small-town America. The paint was hardly dry on this one. Actually, it wasn't quite finished. "Center of Handmade Window Glass Industry" (1903-1929).

20190915_085747.jpg

New Straitsville was founded in 1870 by the New Straitsville Mining Company in order to provide housing for its workers. Eventually, after an entire town was built around the mining operations, the company cut the miners wages - which led to a strike. Out of frustration, in 1884, a group of men retaliated by setting the mines on fire! Supposedly, they are still burning today. Needless to say, this soon led to the companys departure. In the 1930's those burnt out and abandoned mines would come into play during the depression. Those ex-coalminers would conceal illegal moonshine stills in the hollows and abandoned mineshafts - selling it to a desperate nation.

Upon arrival, after signing in and scoping out a campsite, it was up with the Hotel Hilleberg. The Keron 3 GT. I'm camping in style and luxury on this outing. Even hauled down the Byer Tri-Lite Cot. I'd go into some details on the Hilleberg, but that should probably just get a post of it's own at some point.

- Ken dropping air pressure in his Mitas E07's.

20190905_142450-01.jpeg
  20. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Wailin' Wayne Weekend - (Part 2)

20190905_163213.jpg

After purchasing a trail permit, removing the aluminum panniers, and dropping the air pressure down to 23 pounds on the TKC70's - it was off for an introductory trail ride led by our fantastic host - Chad Warner. We rode the New Straitsville Loop and some of the Main Corridor Trail before backtracking to camp. This introductory ride, along with a brief study of the trail system map, brought about a quick familiarization of what lay in store.

- Kaylen drops his big "Water Boxer" while negotiating an off-camber turn on a slight hill as Kenny looks on. Scott helped Kaylen upright his bike. As Scott walked back to his Husky .... Kaylen dropped his bike again. This time onto the other side.

20190905_164123-01.jpeg

These trails would prove to be challenging on a big adventure bike like the GSA. The GSA could handle these trails .... the real question was .... could you handle the GSA on these trails? You need to be on-the-pegs and intent at all times in this terrain. Fatigue is the battle on a big bike - even if you have the skills. Lucky for us this weekend, the trail conditions were mostly perfect; as in dry, other than a few spots. Had it rained, I would have not even bothered riding the trail system, especially with TKC70 tread (70% street). We were also to enjoy a miraculous and timely temperature drop for the weekend; mostly seeing 70's at the upper limit and 50's over night and morning. It did poke into the lower 80's occasionally. Either way it was a welcome relief from the sweltering heat of late.

This was an engaging trail system. It was all hard-pack dirt based. Although many areas were rocky and some low spots were supplemented with gravel to ward off premature erosion and rutting. I'd say the trail would probably be considered somewhere in between single track and two track; it's rated for 50" or less width vehicles. The whole trail system is in the forest; Wayne National Forest, naturally. Occasionally the trail would cross a forest service road.

It was still early enough, so I squeezed in a run back to Shawnee (it's only a few miles up the road) to have a look around the dilapidated old "Black Diamonds" town before dinner. Black Diamonds is another name for coal. Surprisingly, my Verizon phone had service in Shawnee - but not back at camp in New Straitsville.

20190909_213350-01.jpeg

While I want to call Shawnee a ghost town, that is not entirely true. There appears to be some life around, although not much. There was a man there who was involved in restoring one of the buildings. We had a brief discussion about the importance of restoring and retaining what few buildings of historical significance remain in our young country. The way I see it, we better keep the old stuff around (for posterity) because the characterless buildings of modern times are not going to be very aesthetically pleasing or photogenic; the same goes for the vehicle's. What in the world will the future generations take pictures of? Hopefully enough of nature remains. Maybe we won't even take pictures in the future.

There were a few rambunctious kids tearing around town on their bicycles. They buzzed around the corner out of sight, then passed around an electronic cigarette, while expelling large vapor clouds.

The next half-hour or so, I'd walk around and take pictures of this mostly vacant and crumbling old town. Since I've more than a few pictures of the buildings in Shawnee, I'll make a seperate post in the near future containing them.

We had a taco dinner that first night in camp. Can't overemphasize the convenience of being served hot chow at an event of this nature. It really free's you up to enjoy yourself and focus on the riding aspect of the weekend. Not to mention a gourmet coffee truck - centrally parked and planted - during the events entirety. A gourmet coffee truck! That is a dream-come-true for this hombre. I'd ground and packed coffee for multiple days and never once had to bother Jetboiling water or Aeropressing hot java.

20190909_212647.jpg