GAS GUY 2019 - (One year a time)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, May 12, 2019.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Jeff; I had a '63 Comet like the one in your pic when I was in high school. Mine was a two door though. Thanks for triggering the memory banks.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Glad you dig the nostalgia as well. When I passed that scene on Ohio Route 56 - it was like a time warp. The car, the building, the sign, the scraggly tree branches hanging, the old building in the background; you don't come across those situations too often anymore. Once again, one of the reasons I never tire of riding around or across Ohio.

My Dad thinks that 4-door model might be a 1960 and a half.

That's cool you had a Comet. In the early 1990's I bought a 1965 Comet Caliente 2-door hardtop. Tow-dollied it home from Saugatuck on Lake Michigan with my 1978 Dodge Power Wagon that I'd bought a couple of years prior from the same guy. It (the Comet) needed to be restored, but it was in absolutely fantastic shape. Totally solid. No rust. No bondo. Being young and radical, I screwed up and started making a pro-street race car out of it. Ran out of time and money and sold it for a big loss. With the money I spent, could have restored it mint with a 289 hi-po and it'd be worth 30K today. That's the story of my life. I've never done things traditionally.

- Here's a shot of the dash of that Comet on Route 56 in Ohio.

20191011_115131-01.jpeg
    kenichi2014 likes this.
  3. kenichi2014

kenichi2014 WingnPrayer

Oddometer:
    Man, that sounds great! Hopefully, When my schedule and time allow I'll give you a heads up to coordinate it when you are available. Looking forward to it! It would be a privilege to meet and ride with you Gas Guy. Keep riding and smiling as them miles roll on bye!
    GAS GUY likes this.
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeff; Mercury Comets came out for the 1960 year. They had small fins on the rear fenders. The '62 and '63 body style is the one in your picture. '62 had two tail lights per side and '63 had 3 per side. Not much else to tell them apart. My '63 was the same colour as the convertible pictured but was a 2 door post. I also had a canary yellow '64 Caliente with a tan interior; 4 speed and a 289 4 barrel. Only the 225HP version though. Would have liked it to be the solid lifter 271HP version!!

1960 rear end.
    1280px-MercComet60Backleft.jpg
    1963 rear view.
    1024px-Mercury_Comet_Custom_Convertible,_1963,_Rear_(4800718560).jpg
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Good information; must be a 1962 then. Here is a shot of the back-end; two taillights on each side.

20191011_115119-01.jpeg
    kenichi2014, B10Dave and drbuzzard like this.
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    "The unique, the old, the aesthetically pleasing, the natural wonders, the sensational - the structures that ooze character. Those are the things that keep me searching."

Newark, Ohio -

20190908_101328-01.jpeg
    kenichi2014, Bigbob1, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  7. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    In Search Of Color -

"Battle Wagon Rolls Again. Friday morning. Forget work. I'm heading north to chase the leaves! If we have some colors on the coast; the Lake Michigan coast colors turn later than the inland. Because it's colder inland earlier. The Lake acts as an amazing insulator in the fall."

"Provisions are packed. Camping gear stacked high and strapped down on the pillion seat. I've removed the fuel cell and reinstalled the Givi trunk. Don't know what to do with all of this extra storage space; yes I do, pack more stuff. Even rockin' the portable cot."

20191019_090128-01.jpeg
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:

"The buttery-smooth V-4 powered and Penske suspended ST makes dispatching Interstate miles easy work. A cool start had me flipping heat switches: Seat, grips, and jacket."

"This shot is from Arcadia Dunes (looking back south towards Arcadia) on the epic M-22 along Lake Michigan. Look closely in the picture and you can see the road that I followed in, out on the horizon."

20191018_140127-01.jpeg
  9. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    "While it's hard to beat the GSA when it comes to firewood hauling abilities, the ST can hold it's own."

20191018_174619-01.jpeg
    Enfo, Samspade, kenichi2014 and 4 others like this.
  11. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice wood hauler!
    GAS GUY likes this.
  12. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    "Out wandering around the Sleeping Bear Dunes Lakeshore area. Plenty of smooth and winding roads around here. Searched out some interesting gravel and seasonal roads too."

20191019_201229.jpg
  13. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    - "Entering the enchanted forest!"

20191019_201856-01.jpeg
  14. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
  15. STinner

STinner any direction will do

Oddometer:
    Nice car......nicer bike I used to know..............:lol3
    GAS GUY likes this.
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    "There were moments at 'Sleeping Bear Dunes' where the terrain shifted and threw me into a desert-like environment to stimulate my senses."

20191019_145044-01.jpeg

17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Point Betsie Lighthouse - Established 1858

20191018_145555-01.jpeg

Just north of Frankfort, as M22 squeezes between Crystal Lake and Lake Michigan on a narrow strip of land - there is a sign pointing west and calling out Point Betsie Lighthouse.

Being in no hurry, I'd take the short detour and have a look around. It's an appealing lighthouse and grounds. You can take a tour up in the lighthouse, as well as the mini-museum and gift shop. Since I'd arrived during business hours, I had my Lighthouse Passport stamped; this lighthouse has a nice oversized stamp that takes up two places in the book.

The sloped concrete breakwall between the lake and lighthouse seemed to be a unique feature; as I don't recall ever seeing one quite like it.

There is a nearby beach. It appeared to be unmaintained and wild, with driftwood piled up on the shore. There were an assortment of people wandering around the beach looking at the sand and picking something up. Saw similar activity at a small roadside beach further south. Not sure what they are searching out, perhaps Petosky stones.

20191026_114924.jpg
  18. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:

Entering the Sleeping Bear Dunes Area -

Heading north on M22, you come across the Platte River Campground first; it is one of two campgrounds along the national lakeshore. I've stayed there many years ago, but I'd be staying at my preferred D.H. Day Campground a bit further north this time. Keep in mind that in the summer I no longer even attempt to camp at either of these locations as they are always full. Late fall is my time .... after all of the wealthy F.I.B.'s have gone back to Chicago.

Although, I do really enjoy this area too. Especially where the Platte River flows into Lake Michigan; it's one big sandy unique area, where the sandy banked river flows across the sandy beach, before depositing itself into the big lake. The shallow sandy banked river is especially warm also. It feels sensational going back and forth between the cold lake and the warm river. It's also a fantastic place to catch a sunset when the conditions are right.

Anyway, just past the Platte River Campground, I'd hang a cautious left-hand turn into the forest on Peterson Road. This is an unpaved and narrow seasonal forest road. It is beautiful, hard-packed, and smooth enough for the ST though.

20191018_153116-01.jpeg

I'd follow it back through the forest that was starting to become speckled with color. Pockets of random color would present themselves. On the way back through the forest, I'd pass another two-track road that tees into Peterson Road, called Lasso Road. I'd hit that on the way back.

Peterson Road was followed back until it broke out of the forest and onto Peterson Beach, which is snuggled into the cove of Platte Bay. At this remote location you are rewarded with a view of the eventual destination: those gigantic surreal dunes, far off on the horizon - that have miraculously been formed by the prevailing westerly winds blowing the beach sand and piling it up into the dune formations.

20191018_153808-01.jpeg

After taking a break and marveling at the impressive landscape, I'd backtrack to Lasso Road and hang another left. Lasso Road would lead me back out and onto M22 a bit further north from where I left it.

There were a few wet slick areas along this more primitive two-track. One of which was camoflagued under all of the fall leaves that had accumulated on the forest floor; the heavily-loaded ST (probably a half a ton with me and fuel) and I were carrying too much speed and I came a fraction of an inch from crashing. But I never give up until the crash, and managed to just barely pull out of it. That woke me up!

20191018_154440-01.jpeg
  19. drbuzzard

drbuzzard Long timer

Oddometer:
    you're going to need at least some big block tires on the Mighty ST 1300 for all the off roading you're doing :)
    GAS GUY and Bigbob1 like this.
  20. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice shots of the Bear areas, lots of memeories there. Lived in Glen Arbor and went to Glen Lake High School. Leelanau and Benzie counties are the old stomping grounds!
    GAS GUY likes this.