GAS GUY 2019 - (One year a time)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, May 12, 2019.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Hey Jim - Was wondering if you'd be along after I started posting again about this area. Many years ago on another one of my threads you had commented also. I thought of you while I was riding this area again. Been a few years since I've been back up here. I remember back then that you commented on a picture from Inspiration Point overlooking Glen Lake and beyond into Lake Michigan.

Well .... I've got a current picture for you! The second day of this trip, I'd go out and ride around the local area in a relaxed mode. Just sorting through some of the details and enjoying the fine fall day. Wandered my way up to Inspiration Point to relax and read some of my book that my cousin in Alaska had recently sent me. There is a wonderful new addition up there that you're probably not aware of. It's a split stone throne built by a local stone mason from Empire. What a phenomenal place to immerse yourself in a good read. Talk about a view!

20191019_123522-01.jpeg
  2. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great shots, GG. You can take the kid outta Michigan, but you cant take the Michigan outta the kid, i guess..
    GAS GUY likes this.
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Big Agnes Frying Pan - (First Usage)

20191018_172029-01.jpeg

I also had a new tent to put through the paces on the October leaf-chasing trip. A two-man. For years I've been employing a one-man or a three-man tent, neither of which are true freestanding. Been wanting a true freestanding 2-man for awhile, so when this Big Agnes Frying Pan Super Light tent became available at REI for about half of the retail price last fall, I'd decided to snatch it up. It even came with a footprint! That's rare. Plus, Big Agnes is one of my favorite brands. My one-man Big Agnes Seedhouse has been flawless, although cramped. Great tent when you are runnin' and gunnin' though.

Besides the Byer Tri-Lite cot, I'm using an economical Kelty Cosmic Down 40° bag and a Nemo fillo. All of which have been serving me well for many years; although it's not too often that I haul the cot.

- Without the rainfly.

20191018_171410-01.jpeg

The tent is super easy to erect and break down. Small enough to pack easily too. The weather conditions were favorable, so water and wind proofness couldn't be evaluated; didn't even bother to set and cinch any of the guy-lines. Time will tell - but I think this tent is going to work out.

- With the rainfly. Front and rear openings - and two vestibules. Compact but roomy.

20191018_173334-01.jpeg
  4. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice tent. If you have the packing room on the bike I always like having a two person tent so I can keep my gear in the tent with me.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  5. kenichi2014

kenichi2014 WingnPrayer

Oddometer:
    GAS GUY likes this.
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Early State Parks -

20191019_164518-01.jpeg

By the end of World War 1, with the rapid growth of the recreation industry in Michigan, a need for a state-wide parks system had arisen. In 1919 the State Park Commission was established. D.H. Day State Park, honoring the commission's chairman, was the first park that it set up. When the state parks were transferred to the conservation department in 1921 over twenty other sites had been acquired, most of them, like D.H. Day State Park, beautifully located on the lakeshore.

Never realised that my favorite Michigan campground was also the first developed. That's some interesting history. Near the historic and informative sign sharing that history is an impressive log cabin nestled into the edge of the forest between the campground and the lakeshore.

20191018_183933-01.jpeg

After riding around the campground in order to take inventory of the available sites and decide on my base camp for the next two days, I'd decided on site number 50; this site conveniently has a water source available only 20-feet away and also a porta-john in very close proximity.

An assortment of stately 80-foot tall oak and pine trees stood sentinel over my campsite. The tops of which would rustle in the wind throughout the night, but the rainfly on my tent was never disturbed, as the winds never penetrated the lower levels of the forest. Oak leafs, pine needles, and acorns adorned the forest floor of my campsite giving it a warm essence.

After setting up camp, I'd traverse the narrow and weathered boardwalk through the scrub-filled dunes to the shores of Lake Michigan.

20191018_182814-01.jpeg

Took a stroll along waters edge while gazing out at the horizon. Watched the sky and cloud formations shift and change colors as the sun was setting. Sunsets are not that good at this location, as it is tucked into a cove called Sleeping Bear Bay. The setting sun is shrouded by Sleeping Bear Point, to the west, as it juts out into the lake. But this is a serene stretch of beach. The only other souls present were a mother photographing her young children as they play in the sand.

20191018_183243-01.jpeg

The only prepared hot food purchased on this trip was from the IGA deli in Glen Arbor: some kind of pulled-pork and macaroni and cheese blend with tator-tots on the side. While entering the store, there was a Bell's beer representative giving out samples. Tried the "Two-Hearted" which was good, but later on I returned and bought an "Official" for nursing next to the campfire, that I really liked; reminded me of grapefruit.

The dark celestial sky was mind-blowing on Friday night. Looking up between the openings of the tall oaks and pines, there were more stars and planets crammed into the sky than I've ever seen before.

Bursts of machine gun fire off in distance while sitting around the flickering fire. That brings back memories. Especially while sitting in that dark and cold forest. Except we never had fires due to the strict observance of noise, light, and litter discipline. Infantry life is an incredibly unique experience; nothing is quite like it; it stays forever etched into your memory. Camp Grayling had live fire exercises in progress.

Sat in isolation for two-nights hypnotized by the flickering campfire. Rode the fires right down to the throbbing red embers, embedded in the thick gray ashes, before retiring for the night.

20191018_191100.jpg
  7. kenichi2014

kenichi2014 WingnPrayer

Oddometer:
    Another fantastic journey! I can hear the crackle of the firewood, the fire tells its own stories as it pulls you into deep thoughts and journeys of the mind, how can we thank you enough for the journeys we at the moment can't take ourselves! Thanks, again GasGuy!
    GAS GUY likes this.