GAS GUY 2019 - (One year a time)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, May 12, 2019.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Thanks for breakfast today, brother (Dr. Buzzard bought me breakfast). Louie's Ham & Corn Beef (on Mack Avenue) was a good call. The in-house-made corned beef hash was stellar. Although, I ate too much, and felt like hell for a while after. Those park benches on Belle Isle came in handy for the recovery time. The cool breeze coming off the water and the shade tree was nice too. Good thing we had already completed our muralography session; is that even a word ? It is now. It's going in the Great Lakes Mile Eater dictionary. If the murals are abstract - some of our words can be too.

20190623_095713-01.jpeg
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    While my modus operandi is usually getting further away from the city, occasionally it's enlightening to delve deeper into it. Filth, traffic, litter, blight, and all. You learn alot about humanity while observing life in the city. We're not meant to live in large unnatural cities.

It's a whole different vibe; one I don't often like, but one that speaks volumes. It's (the vibe) so thick (at times) that back in the day I'd even tempestuously feel it through heavy intoxication - as my sidekick and I would work our way up and down Michigan and Warren Avenues till the wee hours of night, and sometimes end up in an underground after-hours joint. These days, I choose to stay sober - and get out of dodge during daylight hours.

Perhaps the overwhelming cognitive dissonance that we humans are so full of in this modern age, is the compelling force, that splatters the deep inner emotion, through paint, into expression, on the scarred walls.

20190624_222037.jpg
    dave0, CaseyB, bandres27 and 6 others like this.
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The things I have to do .... to bring you these pictures. So much of capturing an acceptable picture, just like getting the most out of life - is perspective. Think about that word. That word carries with it immense weight. After taking multiple shots from different levels and angles, I will cull through the lot of them and only keep the most desirable. Lighting is huge also. Especially when you are self-taught through trial and error and simply using a phone. Creativity is paramount .... and film is cheap.

20190623_090455_1561298040729-01.jpeg

I've photographed this mural before; maybe a year ago, but on this day, the lot was devoid of any cars - and Will and I were both on our mighty ST's. So, why not. Photographing murals is no walk in the park either, if you are visiting multiple murals consecutively. You're in full gear, it's hot, you're climbing on and off the bike, positioning the bike and usually worried about picking up nails in the tires due to the seedy areas full of litter, glass, and construction materials that you are operating in - and often riding over, the slow riding and constant stopping has the bike running hot and the electric cooling fan cycling (when on the ST). The unseen rigors of mural hunting are real, but worth the reward. I think.

20190625_185242.jpg
    CaseyB, TownPump, Enfo and 6 others like this.
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Just a little while ago, Herb sent me over this picture. Young Mathew was out exploring Michigan rural gravel roads with his dad. Let me tell you: Herb has it bad. Can't get him off that GSA. Nice to see youngsters entering into the moto-life. Our demographic seems to be aging. Almost forgot: A couple of weeks ago, Herb dropped the tall GSA in the driveway with Mathew situated on the back. Mathew went rolling off, but handled the spill like a trooper.

image000000(6).jpg

5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeff; I think they are worth the reward as well. Really like all your mural pics. Thanks for finding and recording them for us.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Sarah's First Motorcycle Ride with Dad -

Never thought I'd take either of my girls out on the road, on the back of one of my bikes. With all of the potential pitfalls lurking out there on the mean streets, if something ever happened to one of them on my watch, especially unnecessarily, I couldn't even begin to imagine trying to cope with that.

- Sarah on the front seat of my old Ultra Classic.

2018-04-03_07-33-06.jpg

Now Sarah is 17 and will be 18 before the year's end. What good is life, if it is just sheltered away, safely awaiting death. After much deliberation and a discussion with Mom, I'd decided it would be reasonable to occasionally take her out for a ride, keeping in mind to avoid high traffic areas as much as possible.

When I first expressed the idea to Sarah and her 16-year-old sister, Sarah immediately responded enthusiastically, while Elizabeth was hesitant.

First ride went exceptionally well. We rode out North Territorial Road to a quaint road-side coffee shop in the country. She was really enjoying the ride. She especially liked when I would roll into the throttle. The staccato of the mellow exhaust note (stock) coupled with the tremendous intake air sound through the air box would stimulate her senses.

At the Flower Bar: While I sipped a small black coffee, Sarah enjoyed a Chai Latte. We looked around the thoughtfully decorated interior while discussing the ride and if she wanted to pursue riding in the future. She did.

- Sarah sitting outside of the Flower Bar.

20190628_205400.jpg

So, while her mother's helmet was fine for now, she needed a proper jacket and my suspicions were right in the fact that she wanted a leather instead of textile. With a caffeine induced buzz - off to AM Leather we would go. Before departure, I'd made sure she was comfortable with us running down there on the Interstate. No problem. She wouldn't have showed her fear initially anyway. Wonder where she get's that ?

On the Interstate, she later confided that she was initially apprehensive. While she felt confident nothing would go wrong - she was somewhat intimidated, but then quickly settled-in.

Having recently looked around the leather shop, I'd already seen the jacket she would probably choose. Sure enough, that was the one. We bought the jacket and a pair of light-weight ventilated leather gloves and then we were back on the road and headed home for the day. But not before I took some pictures of her on the Mysterious Red Rushmore bike.

My wife loved the jacket, so back up to the leather shop for her. The exact duplicate order was purchased in her size. Daughter has good taste I guess. My wife and I have a biker wedding to attend this weekend (on the bike) anyway, and she has been looking for a stylish jacket that is constructed with a more supple leather; it is the traditional old-school Marlon Brando design with the versatile snapped lapel open collar and waist belt with various pockets but done in a feminine style and cut, with a hint of purple subtly peeking through perforations on the collar. It is a stunning jacket.

- Sarah on the front seat of the new Ultra Classic, in her new leather.

20190628_205343.jpg
    Samspade, Snapper33, TownPump and 6 others like this.
  7. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pops that is good that she is interested in a pastime that Dad is into. Maybe someday she will win the IBR.....
    drbuzzard and 2wingdoc05 like this.
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Biker Wedding -

Holly and I had a two-up run out to the Irish Hills area Saturday after work on the Ultra Classic, as an old friend, Danny, was getting married. Of course, he had to pick the hottest day of the year and set the time of the wedding in the afternoon - at the peak heat of the day. It was like riding into a blast furnace on the way out to the small park in Clinton, Michigan where the ceremony would be held, in a large gazebo. The preacher is an American Legion Rider, which also lends itself to the small wedding consisting of only close friends and family and club members, as Danny was married in his colors. Immediately following the ceremony and pictures (he couldn't afford a professional photographer) a group of us formed a procession and rode back to the clubhouse for the reception, after stopping off for a celebratory drink at a local pub and grub.

Resized_20190629_144907.jpeg

Danny and I go way back; before he was even of drinking age. We met each other while living and struggling to make ends meet (especially him with a 17-year-old pregnant girlfriend) in a small apartment complex in Wayne, Michigan - just on the outskirts of "Shack Town", which was an expansive old run-down World War Two barracks complex that was converted into low-income housing. Poverty would be the more realistic term.

We attended an automotive mechanic trade school in the evening simultaneously (without planning it (fate) and went on to work together at multiple garages (planned) while becoming good friends.

He is the type of friend that you can show up banging on his door at 4 O'Clock in the morning with a 6-pack in one hand and a German Shepherd puppy under the other arm - after you've both been thrown out of the house by your wife - and he'll groggily make his way to the door and let you in, never complaining at all. Rather, he would chuckle and make light of it.

Or, the guy you can call at 3 O'Clock in the morning to help you pull your fiancee's car out of the snowy ditch - after she slid off the road while following you home from the bar in a snowstorm. The weekends were far too often full of some sort of chaos.

As I've mostly cleaned up my life, we've spent most of the last couple of decades apart. He takes care of business, but after that, continues to live a toxic lifestyle: Way more than his share of Captain Morgan - and of all things - Coka-Cola, is consumed, to test his already weakened intestinal system, from years of genetic health issues. To add to that, the tour-pak on his bike is stuffed with packs of Pall Malls - to feed his incessant smoking habit.

But when we come together the bond is still strong, as if nothing has changed. Another irony is: His given club name is "Reddy" because he is always ready to roll. My wife's maiden name is Reddy. Even the spelling is uniquely the same. He said, "The first thing I thought of after receiving that honorary moniker was Holly." Bizarre.

Resized_20190629_144811(1).jpeg

So, his first wife (the long-ago pregnant 17-year-old) had recently run off with one of his buddies (obviously no more) and after some rough time, he has picked up the pieces with his new bride. She is a sweet spirit, but make no mistake: She is an old-school biker with a rough past from East Detroit. I think they will be good for each other.

Not too long ago he woke from a surgery relating to some of his life-long health battles and she was in the hospital bed right next to him - after refusing to leave his side. She also looks after his 9-year-old son like her own. After congratulating them and hearing them assure me this union is forever, I replied, "It's going to have to be, you're both too old to fuck this up."

I know it meant a lot to Danny for me to ride out to this wedding. He knows I've never been to a wedding, not even my own. Nor his first wedding. My wife and I never had a ceremony, we just went to Toledo, Ohio (just her and I) and made it official, in the city I was born in - and on my birthday. While I'm deeply sentimental, I'm not into traditions and ceremonies. Social functions are not my thing.

It's good to spend some time with Danny again, even though I worry about his excessive indulgences. But, that is the life he chooses; the sign above the bar in the clubhouse reads: "We are a drinking club with a motorcycle problem."

20190629_153321-01.jpeg
    B10Dave and drbuzzard like this.
  9. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Bubbler GPS and Spotwalla -

These last few weeks I've been experimenting with the Bubbler GPS (Lite) application on my smartphone. Naturally, and necessarily, I've also registered a corresponding account with Spotwalla. So far the program seems to be working exceptionally well. I'm thinking I'll start using it to record my rides - when I remember to create a designated trip (with the proper date and time parameters) in Spotwalla and activate the Bubbler GPS on my phone before departure. I'm sure it will become second-nature eventually.

- Here is a screenshot from some of my test tracks over the past couple of weeks. The breadcrumbs (little orange circles) are dropped every 15 minutes on the free (Lite) version. In addition, you can force mark a spot with various designations such as: Food, lodging, sightseeing, police, bonus, and gas.

Screenshot_20190702-081403_Chrome.jpg
    B10Dave likes this.
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Maumee River Ride - (Part 3 of 3)

From the HD dealership in Napoleon, I just worked my way back North through the flooded farmland; many of the field looked like lakes. Judging by the residue and temporary road signs, water was up and over the road not so long ago. Some farms I passed still had water-logged properties, with water right up to the barns.

While rolling along at a leisurely pace, I was taking the time to further familiarize myself with the myriad of controls and information on the Infotainment System. It's taking me a while to get comfortable with all of the audio controls. Some of them are intuitive, but some functions are confusing. Probably should spend some more time studying the manual.

A couple of discoveries:

- The info button on the right switchgear gives me a screen showing the ambient temperature and the oil pressure. The pressure shown is at idle. While running down the road it is approximately double that reading.

20190702_135559.jpg

- While on a route, I can choose trip data from the menu and get this screen.

20190702_135622.jpg

- Then if I choose "More" this screen shows up.

20190702_135644.jpg

Just as I was focusing on the signage to enter the 475 bypass from Route 20 my peripheral vision picked up some stunning rainbow of colors off to my left, so I had to make some quick maneuvers and loop back around so as to stage the bike in front of a stunning mural spread out across the wall of the "Head Shed".

20190702_135903.jpg
  11. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
  12. luftkoph

luftkoph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When all else fails, read the directions.
    drbuzzard likes this.
  13. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    - Once again I'd have to play the role of contortionist, while trying to gain a perspective shot just above the waters surface, from the banks of Belle Isle, in the middle of the Detroit River.

20190623_113855_1561304637784-01.jpeg

- Not too bad. The "Motor City" on the right and Windsor, Ontario (Canada) to the left - adjoined by the Ambassador Bridge. Nice blue skies on this day.

20190623_113819-01.jpeg
  14. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    We found this new mural by Bernal Perez (2019) down Michigan Avenue in Detroit. This mural brings to mind the tasty authentic tamales wrapped in corn husks that we purchase from Evie's in Mexicantown.

20190623_174937-01.jpeg
    2wingdoc05, Bigbob1, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The heat and humidity of Summer has arrived. As well as a slew of cars at work; the car haulers are dumping them in our lots faster than we can prep and deliver them - on top of our normal workload. This has turned on overtime much earlier in the year than we had anticipated. Hate when the workload comes during the riding season instead of Winter.

We better jam on out of here this weekend on a big ride (in Great Lakes Mile Eater fashion) while we can. We settled on it. Scott, Ken, and I will launch Friday morning around 6:00 A.M. in an epic attempt to circumnavigate all of the Great Lakes in 3 days; we will be extending the typical route of around 2,500 miles to 3,000 + miles - as to simultaneously accomplish a Saddlesore 3000; an official Great Lakes Challenge and a Saddlesore 3000.

This is a ride I've been wanting to attempt for years. Our regional group put this ride on many years ago; at the time I was busy with other endeavors and couldn't participate. A few guys made it and a few dropped out due to heavy storms and rain. You never know what you will get up around Lake Superior. Mike Kneebone and the IBA has even created a special logo for the certificate - and named it the Great Lakes Saddlesore 3000.

During this ride I'm going to also attempt to keep my phone charged up and the Bubbler GPS app rolling and dropping orange bread crumbs while recording our route. I've created and named the trip in my Spotwalla account and made it public. I've set the dates and times. So, it should start showing activity sometime Friday morning after we hit the road - if everything goes as planned. You should be able to click the link and follow our progress over those 3-days - if you are so inclined.

Here is the link:

https://spotwalla.com/publicTrips.php?un=GAS+GUY

The "Iron Butt Dirt Bike" is going to get the nod on this ride. Was originally seriously considering the ST, but with the oppressive heat of late, I'd decided against it; over 85° and the ST starts producing intrusive heat on the rider. The weather is calling for 95° on Sunday around Des Moines, Iowa and Omaha, Nebraska (on Day 3). I've dealt with it plenty of times in the past, and still can, but with a farkled GSA sitting there next to it, why bother. The ST can dominate in the Spring and Fall.

So, I peeled the TKC70's off (will re-install them next year) and spooned on the last set of Trail Attack 2's from Kenny's inventory. The "Born On" date on those tires are getting questionable anyway and we need to burn them up. Drained and dumped in some fresh Mobile 1 (15W50) into the Camhead with a fresh Motorcraft 910 filter. The bike should be ready to go.

Hopefully I'm able to find the time later-on to detail more of the preparation and recent upgrades to the GSA, along with some semblance of a Ride Report. I've always so much to say and write about, but am finding less and less time to dedicate to getting it all down. That is frustrating. Such is the life of a taskmaster.

- Probably won't be enjoying any sit down meals over them few days - so I picked up an ample amount of road-snacks to keep me in the game.

20190710_210416.jpg

- Day 1 Routing (approximate)

20190710_210431.jpg

- Day 2 Routing (approximate)

20190710_210448.jpg

- Day 3 Routing (approximate)

20190710_210459.jpg

Great_Lakes_Saddle_Sore.jpg

2wingdoc05, B10Dave, Bigbob1 and 2 others like this.
  16. Ranko

Ranko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jeff,

I will keep eye on this ride.

Good luck
    GAS GUY likes this.
  17. Buckeye Rich

Buckeye Rich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck man...happy adventures!
    GAS GUY likes this.
  18. PFD023

PFD023 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in North Bay.....probably posting this too late to see you ride.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Will be through there later. In Kemptville right now. Getting refreshed at Tim Hortons. Took a little while to get through the border crossing; it was kind of busy.
  20. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer: