GAS GUY 2019 - (One year a time)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, May 12, 2019.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The above pic was at Watertown, New York. Gotta scoot.
    drbuzzard, B10Dave and Bigbob1 like this.
  3. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a good ride and be safe
    GAS GUY likes this.
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Here's a shot from North Bay today. Eagles Nest.

20190712_225312.jpg
    CaseyB, drbuzzard, PFD023 and 2 others like this.
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Made it to Sudbury.

Screenshot_20190712-225538_Chrome.jpg
    drbuzzard, Bigbob1 and B10Dave like this.
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Holed up at the Chateau Guay Motel for a few hours.

20190712_224348.jpg
    drbuzzard, Bigbob1 and B10Dave like this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way to go Guys. What a ride. Good luck.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  8. Ranko

Ranko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not sure if time stamps on screenshot is OK, because my time is 08:30AM right now.
    Screenshot_20190713-082848_Chrome.jpg
  9. luftkoph

luftkoph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That spotwalla is pretty neat, looking at it I see your right across the border, looks like fair weather on the north shore today, safe travels to you all.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  10. PFD023

PFD023 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lots of police typically west of sudbury heading to ssm....especially at the borders of some of the smaller towns where the speed drops rapidly....heads up
    GAS GUY likes this.
  11. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
  12. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20190714-114457_Chrome.jpg
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  13. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    These boys are tired and ragged - but in good spirits !

20190714_114743.jpg
  14. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking good guys, stay safe on the final shot home
    GAS GUY likes this.
  15. luftkoph

luftkoph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to be at work on time Monday morning, and cleaned up by god, not looking like something the cat drug in.
    GAS GUY and B10Dave like this.
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Made it home safe and sound .... well, maybe not so sound. All three of us were successful on the ride. Going to get some sleep now.

- Connected the loop. Had to start and finish at the same location.

Screenshot_20190715-020234_Chrome.jpg
    CaseyB, B10Dave, mike25 and 3 others like this.
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up; I can't afford to get any more tickets for awhile.
  18. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Been too busy to commit to a dedicated write-up as of yet. Worked 3 straight 12-hour shifts before departing on the Great Lakes Saddlesore 3000 - and have been working 12-hour shifts since I returned. Sooner or later I will have a thorough report completed. Don't want to rush through it and leave out any pertinent details.

Of course, there won't be too many high quality pictures, considering the nature of this ride - but I did snap-off a slew of pictures from my trusty old Olympus Tough point-and-shoot camera on-the-fly. Have to cull through those soon and see if any are worthy. Good thing it's a Tough version too, cause it took another tumble and was almost lost for good this time - in the weeds along a trail between Terrace Bay and Thunder Bay.

I'd like to thank you all for following along and offering support and encouragement. It always means more than you can imagine. In those inevitable (for me) emotional lows along my journeys, knowing you are there in spirit always pushes me along and makes me reach further.

We managed about 5-hours sleep the first night. Only about 3.5-4-hours sleep the second night, since we had to push on well past dark to make it to the south side of Minneapolis to stay on our desired schedule. No dinner either night. A quick shower and right to sleep. The only restaurant food consumed during the entire ride were a few very light bites to eat at McDonalds and once at Tim Hortons. Otherwise, we just munched out of our tank bags. I drank black coffee and water out of my dual Butler mugs while on the move.

This ride was tougher on me than either of the Bun Burner Golds that I've done. Of course that is hard to gauge though because so much of anything is circumstantial and relative; Good days, bad days, weather, physical and mental condition at the moment, routing, and so much more. Either way - it was an incredibly challenging ride.

image001-01.jpeg

B10Dave, 2wingdoc05 and shuckinator like this.
  19. Buckeye Rich

Buckeye Rich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the detailed report. I followed your Spotwalla tracks and was "rooting" for you guys. Can you compare the GS to the mighty ST on a ride like this?
    GAS GUY likes this.
  20. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    As a pavement-only long distance mount, from my experience, the ST1300 is superior in every way except one: The heat. The ST is the bike I was originally planning on taking, and it would have been fine for most of the ride, but when I saw the forecast for Iowa and Nebraska on Sunday, I'd decided against it.

On that 1100 mile last day while running across the midwest - it was 95-97° most of the day and sunny ! Wouldn't have wanted to be on that ST. Even after drinking water as much as possible, I was peeing some shade of brown by the time I'd arrived at the Michigan border at dusk. Guzzled more water and by the next stop it was getting clear again.

As you know, I'd tried the heat shielding modifications in the various areas of the ST and don't feel like it is worth the effort. Mostly it just moved more of the heat down lower and on my legs, but still hot everywhere. I've removed most of it (heat shielding), except for the section under the tank and air cleaner.

Probably, in my opinion, the best reasonable thing to do in an attempt to alleviate the hot condition would be to install the Baker Air Wings and maybe those factory Honda fairing air deflectors. I've no experience with them, but that is my suspicion. Going forward, this may happen with my ST. But, in the hottest months of the year I will mostly just ride a different bike. The last couple of years, for some reason, I've been more sensitive to heat. Five years ago, it didn't bother me.

I've got my eye on the "Ride Around Ohio" challenge. Would like to do this on the ST when the weather cools down. Would also be utilizing the Spotwalla function.

[​IMG]
    Ride Around Ohio
    Version No. 2.0
    Date last revised: January 7, 2017

© 2017, Iron Butt Association, Chicago, Illinois
    Please respect our intellectual property rights. Do not distribute this document or portions therein, without the written permission of the Iron Butt Association.

Background:

The Ride Around Ohio is roughly 1,005 miles. You must ride your motorcycle around Ohio and collect dated business receipts from 8 cities.

Read the rules for the iconic SaddleSore 1000 on the Ironbutt Association site. The rules for this ride are similar and you will get valuable background information.

Documentation: See here.

Definitions

DBR - Dated Business Receipt

A DBR is a machine generated receipt with the date, time and LOCATION on it. Check it - do not assume it is correct. A receipt with an incorrect time/date/location is worthless. Check and re-check.

Fees: $40

Rules

The ride must be completed in less than 24 hours.

You may start at any required city. You must start and end the ride at the same location, i.e. same DBR.

You may not leave Ohio- except for safety reasons and if you leave you MUST re-enter Ohio at the same point you left it.

[​IMG]

You must obtain DBR every 350 miles or less AND in the following jurisdictions and the receipt MUST indicate the city, date and time. Check your receipts.

Dayton
    Cincinnati
    Montpelier
    Ashtabula
    Steubenville
    Marietta
    Chesapeake
    Cincinnati
    Dayton

You must obtain the receipts in the order listed. Either order (clock or counter-clock) is fine but they must be in order, e.g. Marietta MUST come immediately before or after Chesapeake.

You may take any route you like, but you may not leave the State of Ohio except for an emergency. If you do leave the state, you must return to the point where you crossed the border and continue your ride from that point.

Your official time is determined by the starting and ending receipts. PLEASE check these documents and make sure the clock and date are correct!

Spotwalla.com is required for this ride.

Remember it is YOUR responsibility to prove you visited all required stops in the required order. Spotwalla goes a long way towards this proof.

Merchandise:

[​IMG]