GAS GUY 2019 - (One year a time)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, May 12, 2019.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Since I needed to stash an assortment of nourishment within easy reach in my tank bag, I removed the tiny Wolfman Enduro bag - in favor of the large Touratech tank bag.

It's a little bit of a struggle to eat with my Shoei Qwest; I have to carefully guide the morsels up and under the chin guard. The Qwest is pretty much worn out, so the next helmet is going to be a Shoei Neotech with a flip-face - in order to simplify such tasks.

The small pocket on the left corner of the bag works effectively for housing my point-and-shoot camera - while still allowing me to deploy it somewhat rapidly.

- This picture was taken at Alona Bay on the eastern shore of Lake Superior on Day 2.

20190718_225118.jpg
    drbuzzard, B10Dave and CaseyB like this.
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    My mind thinks it's 25 years old; my body feels like it's 50 years old; and my soul soars like it's 100 years old. That's a good thing .... I think.

P7121542-01.jpeg
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Great Lakes Saddlesore 3000 - Official Ride Log - I'm still working on a detailed report.

20190721_135221.jpg
    TownPump, Utrider1, Bigbob1 and 2 others like this.
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The prodigious view (taken during my spring Appalachian Adventure ride) from atop the grassy bald of "Max Patch". The Appalachian Trail hikers reach this amazing point-of-interest by foot on the earthy and narrow trail - while us Appalachian Trail bikers reach it by gravel, without fail, and not so much the pace of a snail.

20190522_115253-01.jpeg
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Still working on the reports. Might finish up the Spring Appalachian report and pictures before the Great Lakes 3000. Who knows what will come up between now and then. Eventually everything will come together. Busy, busy, busy.

- Back of the Dragon (Virginia Route 16)

20190520_085253-01.jpeg
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    "BACK OF THE DRAGON" - (Day 2) May 20, 2019

20190520_082028-01.jpeg

Oatmeal and coffee, compliments of the Jetboil, would get me up and moving and ready to tackle the notorious "Back of the Dragon". I've slayed the "Tail of the Dragon" numerous times; and lost count. Surprisingly, this would be my first visit to the Back of the Dragon.

Virginia Route 16 runs from Tazewell to Marion. This engaging road boasts 438 curves over a 32-mile span. Along with the hairpins and slaloms, are continuous elevation changes, as it traverses multiple mountains. There are occasional pull-offs, some of which offer tremendous views of the Appalachian landscape.

Since I was experiencing this route in the morning, I was rewarded with cool refreshing air, and little traffic. There were a handful of other motorcycles heading north on the Back of the Dragon, as I headed south. The asphalt wasn't brand new and coal black with bright yellow lines, but it was still smooth and in excellent condition; you could hustle along it confidently.

20190520_083707-01.jpeg

Shortly before entering Marion, Virginia at the southern terminus of the Dragon, you pass through Hungry Mother State Park and ride along Hungry Mother Lake.

There is an informative sign alongside the road that reads:

In 1933 local residents assisted in the creation and donated 2,000 acres of land to Virginia for the establishment of a state park in Smyth County along Hungry Mother Creek. The unusual name comes from the legend of a nearby Indian-settler conflict that resulted in Molly Marley and her child being captured. They later escaped but Marley died. When a search party found the toddler who could only utter the words "Hungry Mother." The National Park Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps. in conjunction with the Virginia Conservation Commission, developed the park as a New Deal project. It opened on 15 June 1936 and was one of the first six state parks established in Virginia.

After rolling into Marion, I stopped for breakfast. Next planned stop was a visit to Crazy Larry's Hostel in Damascus. I just happened to be situated on the MABDR, so I'd decided to follow it, as it would indirectly deliver me into Damascus.

20190606_162643-02.jpeg

7. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great job on 3k in 3 days. Tougher then I no doubt. Impressive tho.
    I find these LD Iron Butt rides interesting, but don't think I would attempt one.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    They definitely are not for everybody; not for many actually. And that is alright. An article was written many years ago about the tiny percent of Iron Butt members relative to the whole motorcycling community - it equated to a flea on a flea.

I commend you for having an open mind and appreciating what someone else may pursue - even though it may not be for you. In return you are rewarded with interesting stories and get to gauge whether or not they are compelling enough to inspire you to try one. It's all fun to toss around in our brains.

Either way, in the grand scheme of things, it's not that important. Circumstances and genetics are most probably the motivating factors. I feel like I'm quite a bit different than the majority of Iron Butt Riders; then again, I feel like that about most everything in this world. I'm no better, but my life has been anything but typical, so my perspectives often vary from the mainstream. I'm pretty diverse when it comes to motorcycling and like to mix up the disciplines: long-distance; adventure; touring; cruising; trials; and trails - along with diversity in bikes. I like to mix it up, craving new experiences.

My rational side is constantly questioning why I would desire to do another Iron Butt ride. Then my obsessive and over-driven side is chomping at the bit to do another. These two sides are always in conflict. In life as well as riding. I could write an essay for, or against, long-distance riding. I can see both sides to most anything; a blessing and a curse. I admire any person who is doing what they feel driven to do, while being accountable for themselves and family and not infringing on others. In the end, I realize many things we do in society are irrelevant or impractical, but I just try to strike a balance in what needs to be done and what motivates me to delve into the depths of humanity's soul and inspires me to live a richer life. To not give up.

20190727_110731-01.jpeg

BigDogRaven, B10Dave and Bigbob1 like this.
  9. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    "Ride Around Ohio" - (Preparations)

Was originally going to attempt this ride closer to the fall (and on the ST), but Scott, Kenny, and I have decided to go for it this weekend. Won't even have to take a day off of work. Will work Friday, then ride down to Bryan, Ohio (about 120 miles) to check into the Colonial Manor Motel for the night.

The Spotwalla trip should go active and be viewable at 4:00 A.M. on Saturday morning. Here is the link to my Spotwalla page:

https://spotwalla.com/publicTrips.php?un=GAS+GUY

Again, the GSA is going to carry me on this challenge. Since I spooned on the heavily road-oriented tires (Continental Trail Attack 2's) for that last big ride, I'm going to need to use them up, so I can progressively get back to more aggressive tread at some point next year.

map.png

Herb is not going. First he was, then he wasn't, then he wasn't sure. I told him, "When it comes to endurance riding, if you have any reservations, or if you have things eating at you inside, they will surely surface during the rough spots and haunt you. You're not ready. Sort yourself out first."

I'm intimately familiar with doing things the hard way, as I never did heed this same wisdom. My first three Saddlesores were forced and under various unnecessary challenges. To this day, those first three were the hardest rides I've ever done - due to circumstances. Circumstances, much like perspective, can make or break you.

Scott asked me, "Thought Herb said he was going?"

Scott is more emotionally stable than Herb and myself, so I reminded Scott, "You know how fickle us crazies are, with the constantly and quickly changing emotions that flood us on a moment's notice, and then fleet almost as fast. Always at a different tempo or magnitude, so as to not let you get any kind of solid grasp or timing on the powerful and convincing waves of change.

Ken has been battling carpultunnel for some time now. His hands get tingly and numb every day; even at work. They get to where they feel like nubs at the end of his arms. He has finally started contemplating surgery, so he has been going in to get evaluated. The other day they were introducing electrical shocks through his biceps to see what kind of stimulation, or lack of, was present; the procedure left wounds on his arms and hurt like hell. Yesterday he went in and they injected cortisone into his hands through his wrists. On the way home his hands were completely numb. This morning he could barely move his hands. Upon learning this, I said, "Ken, you probably shouldn't be embarking upon this Ohio 1000 ride Saturday morning, in your condition." Without hesitation, Ken looked at me with a wild look in his eye and replied, "Bullshit, I'm going." WTF. What a warrior ! That never quit attitude is inspiring.

Been getting some goodies together. Another tank bag luncheon is on for Saturday. Had also started to implement a different approach on my coffee consumption during that last big ride: Starbucks Cold Brew. Super convenient. Don't have to bother with the Jetboil and Aeropress. Although, I will miss the premium "Dead Man's Reach" that I recently picked up in Port Huron. Anyway, with a few 11 ounce bottles of cold brew in my panniers, I can simply empty the contents of one of them (as desired) into my Butler Mug (bolted to a passenger footpeg) and sip it on the fly. Will be employing that method again on this ride.

More nut mix, some Australian licorice, "Think" Thin protein bars (hopefully it doesn't get too hot), Bear Naked Granola Bites (Coconut & Cashew), and my favorite: "That's It" fruit bars (only 2 ingredients). All of this is purchased at Target. Along with a fresh bottle of Refresh Artificial Tears (eye drops), Tums, and a couple of Tylenol.

We will shoot for an extremely early start. Probably 5:00 A.M. The motel in Bryan, Ohio is about an 11-mile commute (north) to the starting town of Montpelier. After grabbing a receipt in Montpelier, we will jump on the Ohio Turnpike and make a run (east) for Ashtabula in a clock-wise direction. We will have the sun in our eyes during periods of the day, but the alternative would be to deal with Dayton and Cincinnati during busy hours in the morning (if we rode counter-clockwise). No thanks. We will grab those receipts Saturday evening. With a super early start, we will probably even turn the corner in Ashtabula and starting heading south on Route 11 before dealing with the sun in our eyes for very long.

I've written up a general routing sheet for our tank bags. We will most likely deviate slightly in a few places. We are free to choose any routing we'd like as long as we start and end in the same city (one of the listed and required), acquire receipts from all of the required cities, and have Spotwalla activated during the entire ride; probably to prove you didn't leave the state of Ohio. You can leave the state momentarily, but must re-enter in the same place; so no taking shortcuts across West Virginia or Kentucky. And yes, we have to get a receipt in Cincinnati twice !

20190806_161059.jpg

Looks like fantastic weather is forecasted. Warm, sunny, but less humidity.

From what I can tell, looks like the route will be around 1,050 miles with a lot of two-lane roads. Then, we have another 120-mile hike to get back home before crawling into bed. Going to be a long day. Might have to find an Iron Butt Motel for a short siesta if I'm too tired to make it home.

20190718_201718.jpg
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck Jeff. Ride fast and safe.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  11. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Staged and ready in Bryan, Ohio. Going to get some rest now. Will run up to Montpelier, Ohio in the morning for a start receipt. The weather today was spectacular; hoping for more of that tomorrow.

20190809_201308.jpg
    B10Dave and Bigbob1 like this.
  12. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ride safe guys
    GAS GUY likes this.
  13. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20190810-090521_Chrome.jpg
    Utrider1, B10Dave and Bigbob1 like this.
  14. Buckeye Rich

Buckeye Rich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you see this in time...
    Loves Truck Stop In Dayton (2217 S Edwin C Moses Blvd, Dayton, OH 45417), will be the most southern fuel spot in the City of Dayton with very easy access off of I-75. Exit 51 (Edwin C. Moses Blvd) and then make a left.

I'm a few miles off of exit 32 if anything comes up and you all need help.

Rich
    GAS GUY and Bigbob1 like this.
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20190810-203632_Chrome.jpg
    B10Dave likes this.
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Cincinnati was Hell ... and we gotta go back ! At the first exit into Dayton; eating McDonalds.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    I'm across the street from Loves, at McDonalds right now.
    B10Dave and Buckeye Rich like this.
  18. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    20190810_204310.jpg

20190810_204449.jpg
    Bigbob1, B10Dave and Buckeye Rich like this.
  19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Scotty is looking beyond crispy - he is looking toasted ! Been waiting over 20 minutes for our food. Good gosh !

20190810_205059.jpg
  20. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20190811-013711_Chrome.jpg
    B10Dave and Bigbob1 like this.