GAS GUY 2020 - (One Year at a Time)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    One of the best posts I’ve ever read here GG. Thanks for your insights.
    TownPump and GAS GUY like this.
  2. TownPump

TownPump Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed 1000% So good that I ironically feel compelled to re-read it multiple times.
    paladin, GAS GUY and Sunday Rider like this.
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    TRANS-OHIO TRAIL:

[​IMG]

While I'm starting to get somewhat out of chronological sequence on the rides - at least I'm mostly finishing a cluster of corresponding pictures and narrative before moving on to another journey. Mostly. Sometimes it's hard to keep up - and maintain some semblance of quality.

Some inmates are requesting some material over on the TOT thread in the Mapping section, so I'm working on getting some of those pictures and locations together and posted. While I'm at it, the plan is to cross-post them (over multiple posts) here also; not necessarily a "flowing" report, but more of a pictures, captions, and associated information report.

I've just started (12 May 2020) to experience the TOT, as it entails over 1,000-miles of backcountry trail (dirt, gravel, asphalt). I'd guess that on this (first of many) session, maybe 200 to 300-miles were covered. To be more specific, we rode the route from Loudenville to Coshocton, before breaking from the trail and slabbing it down to Marietta for a layover. Then, the next day, we followed the route from Marietta to Woodsfield.

Let me say that I was pleasantly pleased with the experience and will be planning subsequent trips - intent on eventually riding every mile (in sections) of the route, and then probably re-riding it again. There is no hurry, I want to sort through the details and savor the experience.

I've been working on an exhaustive two-day report (hey ... a lot goes on in two-days) of the recent paved ride to Southeast Ohio, but it will have to wait. Could use more time polishing that report anyway.

In the meantime, let's scrutinize some of the terrain along the Trans-Ohio Trail:

-Travel At Your Own Risk: (12 May 2020)
    This is the second time this spring that I've seen one of these signs; one in Michigan and now one in Ohio. Never before have I seen one. Must be for liability. This is a stretch of rough road that passes through the Tree Frog Canopy Tour ziplining outfit. As you ride through the woods, there are random platforms and zip-lines up in the treetops. From what I understand, there is also an area near here that offers elevated overnight accommodations as well; essentially ... sleeping up in a tree fort. Probably a very fancy tree fort.

[​IMG]

-Big Hill (435)/Stumbaugh Road (343) vicinity:
    Just south of the Treefrog Canopy tour in Knox County.

[​IMG]

-Between Tree Frog and Township Road 17:

[​IMG]
    Utrider1, TownPump, drbuzzard and 4 others like this.
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    -Herb on the TOT:
    Between Tree Frog and Township Road 17.

[​IMG]

-Scott and RT on the TOT:
    Between Tree Frog and Township Road 17.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- This location (a convenient, wide, grassy shoulder) is on Township Road 17 in Glenmont along a sharp bend in the Mohican River. We had just turned off of Township Road 16 after passing through the Tree Frog Canopy zipline land in Knox County. Beautiful landscapes!

[​IMG]
    TownPump, drbuzzard, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    "Bridge of Dreams" - (12 May 2020)

The Mohican Trail Covered Bridge. Another delightful sight that we were treated to along the Trans-Ohio Trail - when we turned off of (a very short stint on) U.S. Route 62 and onto Hunter Road. There it was - towering above the road and river. Second longest covered bridge in Ohio (after the one in Ashtabula) and the third longest covered bridge in the United States.

Even more impressive was the sharp gravel switchback upon departure from the bridge; Mohaven Road runs you steeply up to an elevation which gave us a vantage point looking down upon the top of the bridge that spans across the Mohican River. Being early in the year, the trees were still thin and transparent enough to give us a sensational view. Once the trees are full of foliage, this view will most likely be unobtainable and probably a highlight limited to early spring and late fall.

[​IMG]
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeff; repurposed rail bridge?
  7. STinner

STinner any direction will do

Oddometer:
    LOL You off-road guys get all the great pics! I don't think my Wing would get back in there!
    drbuzzard and GAS GUY like this.
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    It was built in the 1920's to carry the Pennsylvania Railroad line over the river. It was abandoned in the early 1990's and since converted into a pedestrian and bicycle trail. Supposedly the Amish ride horse and buggy across it; that sure would make for an amazing photograph. During the short time that I was there, I witnessed some pedestrians walking across it as well as a few on horseback. It was not covered until the late 1990's and recieved it's name as the "Bridge of Dreams" because it was said that the proponents who were attempting to raise the project money (in order to cover it) were dreaming.
    TownPump and B10Dave like this.
  9. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Mohican River Wilderness Area -
    Trans-Ohio Trail. This area is just after (south of) the "Bridge Of Dreams." This area blew me away! This is Township Road 368 to Walhonding.

[​IMG]

Zuck Road -
    This is another road that grabbed my attention. It's interesting how I was introduced to this road: While following State Route 715 in a westerly direction along the Kokosing River, I thought to myself (as I passed and looked back at Zuck Road) what an inviting gravel road it was - and that the TOT should be following that road. Oh! ... it does, I was supposed to turn back there.

[​IMG]

This enticing strip of grassy land (an unofficial rest area of sorts) is sandwiched between Zuck Road and the Kokosing River. There were remnants of past campfires; while I'm not sure of the legality, this would make for a nice campsite. This location is very near the challenging Stone Quarry and Bat Nest Roads.

[​IMG]
    TownPump, popscycle, DeansZG and 4 others like this.
  10. DeansZG

DeansZG Adventurer

Oddometer:

If I recall correctly, it was a few years ago( '15, 16', or '17 ???), that same road localle was under at least 10'-15' of water from the flooding... Rode thru there on Rt715 about a month after the waters had receded, the we noticed all sorts of debris high up in the trees....
    GAS GUY likes this.
  11. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Township Road 58 - Trans-Ohio Trail

-Scott walking the trail, making sure that he can proceed on the RT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Scott "The Finn" Auer - Finessing his BMW RT touring bike through a wet and muddy section of the TOT. On Township Road 58 (just northeast of Tunnel Hill on Route 60/541). This is just past the "Dropped Pin" on the TOT route indicating a washed out area at Latitude 40.27356 Longitude -82.02023. When we were there it was slightly muddy and rutted - but not washed out.

[​IMG]
    drbuzzard, B10Dave, TownPump and 3 others like this.
  12. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    "The Quintessential Dirt Road"

This amazing clumpy dirt road, within "Section 3" of the Trans-Ohio Trail is either Township Road 58 ... or, it is Township Road 400, that we turned south onto from Township Road 58.

At any rate, this quaint dirt road running through hilly, forested, farmland - made for an idyllic setting that won't soon be forgotten. These are the roads that I'm always dreaming of and searching out!

If you look closely, you can just make out Herb up ahead, riding away from me, on his 2010 BMW 1200 GS Adventure (30th GS Anniversary Edition).

[​IMG]
    Utrider1, drbuzzard, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  13. RoverGS

RoverGS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As always great pictures. I've noticed your bikes are for sale in the F.M. Hope that doesn't mean you will no longer be posting here. I'm from the same part of town you're from. I've had/have two bikes identical to the ones you're selling. I no longer live in MI, but I do miss it's beauty so I always look forward to your posts and pictures from my home state. Here's to hoping that there is more to come.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  14. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    No worries. It's great to hear that you're enjoying my posts, and there will be more to come; one way or another. With this new world we are living in, things will be slowing down for me due to finances. I'm a mechanic, so hours are down at the shop and the cost of living is up. I'm fine, but have to slow my roll and be more frugal into the indefinate future, and figured I may not need four big (heavy-hitter) bikes. Not wanting to be discriminatory (as I like them all for different reasons), figured I'd simply list all of them and see what happens. If some sell, I'll ride what's left. If none sell, that is fine too. It's always good to check your ability to "let go" and stay resilient. Don't tell anyone ... but there is a side of me that secretly hopes none of them sell.

BTW - I'm down south in the cage with family. When I return home next week sometime, I'll resume posting the balance of those TOT pictures.

- A "Portal into the Past" that I'd stumbled upon during an adventure.

20200603_103452-01.jpeg
    Utrider1, drbuzzard, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  15. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the family time and vacation Jeff. Surprised you are slow at work. This side of the border auto sales and repairs seem to have fully recovered. I bought a 1948 BSA B33 and have to get it safety checked to put it in my name. Took 3 days to get an appointment for the safety and the mechanic is a friend of mine. Says he is busier than last year at this time. Independent one man shop. The " letting go " thing is easier than you think. I have sold 3 bikes this year. Trouble is.....I have also bought 3.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    It would seem so, but yet we have another paradoxical (getting to be the new normal) situation. I work for the company (Ford) so between the politics of safety (even though I keep screaming "safety third!") and the fact that our customers (the executives) are still working from home or they are scattered all over the state and the U.S. in their vacation homes and many are going to their nearest dealership (for service or repairs) or having to schedule an appointment with us in order not to break our stringent safety protocols, things are not running smoothly. It's hard to even get our customers to come in and pick up their brand new cars that are waiting for them!

We have had some screw-ups from various dealerships, that our customers went to, while we were out during lock-down: Had a Flex that, while some other dealership had replaced the oil pan, the tech had pried on and cracked the front cover of the engine. So, I had to drop the whole engine and transmission assembly out the bottom of the vehicle (after removing the front subframe) in order to remove and replace the large aluminum front cover, to name one; but stuff like that happens.

Plus, I'm sure profit-sharing (which is part of our wages) will be dismal or non-existent for a while. My first decade with the company (911 had just happened) was very lean. Hopefully we don't go back there. I was just starting to get rolling. Seems like every 5-8 years there is some sort of major debacle to set everyone back. Such is life.

On top of everything (and I don't recall if I've ever mentioned it before) my small family lives the traditional "one-income" lifestyle, while the idyllic "Andy from Mayberry" has left America's vision, many generations ago. We are hard-headed hold-outs. That is a lot of responsibility on a blue-collar man. But ain't that what life is about ... taking on responsibility.

So, those are some of my current challenges, but ... life is good.

-Norris Lake (Clinch River) Tennessee:

20200817_062406.jpg
    TownPump, drbuzzard, c1skout and 5 others like this.
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Trans-Ohio Trail (13 May 2020) Section 11:

The day before, we broke from the TOT (Section 3) in Coshocton and slabbed it down to Marietta. Scott separated from us earlier during that first day and returned home. On this morning we would resume our adventure by digging into Section 11 of the TOT, with Woodsfield being our goal for the day; we were in no hurry and wanting to savor the route.

Too Much Technology -
    While I do manage to stay well behind the cutting edge in electronics and machinery, I fail miserably at upholding the romantic image of the luddite that resides in my mind.

[​IMG]

This would be the first route (TOT) that I'd navigate with the Kyocera Duraforce Pro (smartphone). My plan going forward will be to use a smartphone (with OsmAnd+) for following a particular route (in GPX track form) while simply using my existing GPS as a navigational overview tool or to direct me to an address or POI.

As you can see, I'm in Marietta, Ohio - in between days on the Trans-Ohio Trail. Marietta is getting to be like a home away from home as I've been regularly using the Ohio River town as a layover while touring Southeast Ohio or as a gateway to points further south. I'm especially fond of - and frequent - the historic district of Marietta. Since Marietta is smack dab on the TOT, I'd implore you to become familiar with this charming town ... and the brewery.

Supposedly the Historic Lafayette Hotel is full of ghosts. Years ago I stayed there and that being said, I'm not convinced that it's as haunted as they say, or even as troubled as I am, as I'm fairly certain them ghosts are no match for my demons. Although, many years ago, while inquiring about that aspect of the haunted Lafayette Hotel with the sisters - who own a small boutique shop just up the block - they gave me pause when one of them immediately showed the fear of God in her eyes at my mention of it. She wouldn't elaborate, but simply informed me that she experienced a supernatural occurrence in the basement bathroom. Said she has never set foot in the hotel since. Nor will she ever!

Out into the forest. Wayne National Forest.
    Township Road 43 - near Sitka (northeast of Marietta).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Herb is in Heaven on Section Eleven -
    This is Herb's first multi-day and out-of-state adventure ride and he is incredulous!

[​IMG]

Herb after blasting through a stream -
    Cold stream water vaporizing off of the hot boxer twin engine.

[​IMG]

Township Road 43 (Section 11)
    Just west of Sitka and State Route 26.

[​IMG]
    TownPump, Samspade, Bigbob1 and 4 others like this.
  18. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Trans-Ohio Trail (13 May 2020) Section 11:

Cow Run Road (Township Road 19):
    As I made an abrupt (sharper than 90°) right-hand turn while simultaneously ascending Brooks Road (Township Road 94) I'd hold up momentarily, in order to snap off a shot (looking back and down) of Herb riding along the gravelly Cow Run Road.

[​IMG]

McCain Hill Road (Township Road 382):
    This dirt road is in pleasantly rough condition, and fortunately for us and our big bikes - it was dry.

[​IMG]

Waernicke-Hille House and Store:
    While rounding a gravel corner, this impressive home and grounds stopped me in my tracks.

This brick home was built for Ernst Waernicke; he was a German who pioneered the cultivation of tobacco in the surrounding area.

This house and the nearby store (with the green metal roof) are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

[​IMG]

View from the side of the impressive three-story house, with manicured garden, as photographed while still mounted on my bike, since the trail twists around and runs along two sides of the elegant brick home.

This is Archers Fork, where Township Road 36 turns into Township Road 114, which quickly becomes 14 or Jackson Run Road.

Look at all of those symmetrical windows!

[​IMG]

19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Trans-Ohio Trail (13 May 2020) Section Eleven:

[​IMG]

This place .... the remote area, the gravel road, the terrain, this house .... had a special vibe. It wasn't just me either. This time I had a witness; Herb was there. He felt it too!

This spot was on Township Road 14 (Jackson Run Road) - which is within Wayne National Forest. The stream of Archers Fork meanders alongside of the gravel road. I walked into the woodline and was standing in the shade, on the bank of the stream, when I took the above picture. Excitement was coursing through my body, and wonder was racing through my mind.

Old Barn on Abandoned Homestead:
    There were still some old farm implements littering the grounds. Note the silhouette of the antique, two-man, crosscut (or felling) saw.

[​IMG]

Passing Through Portals of Time
    :

My imagination and emotions run wild in these places!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spartan Kitchen of Generations Past:

[​IMG]

20. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Watch out for old open wells while wondering about
    drbuzzard, B10Dave and GAS GUY like this.