GAS GUY 2020 - (One Year at a Time)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, Mar 14, 2020.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Downed Tree Impeding Progress on the Trans-Ohio Trail (13 May 2020):
    Near the juncture of Davis Hill Road (607) and Chandler Road (381). This is on the TOT - between Marietta and Woodsfield on Section Eleven.

[​IMG]

Herbevil Kneival:
    We did make a feeble attempt at riding the berm around the downed tree that was blocking the trail. It's a daunting task on a fully loaded "Cam Head" with street-oriented tires. Herb wanted to attempt it. I mentioned that we should remove the panniers first, but he didn't want to. So we added a log for a kicker and he actually got up on the berm. But we had to wrangle his bike around and get it lined up straight to ride along the berm, which was somewhat soft ground and not-so-flat.

[​IMG]

Then he took off like a bat out of hell across the berm before sliding back down and onto the road. I told him to ride slow and controlled. He didn't crash though! Thought for sure he was going to crash when he started heading for the edge. He is a new rider; not that it couldn't happen to anyone. He ended up back in front of the downed tree where he started. At that point I wasn't wasting any more time or effort, so we just back-tracked around and rode up to the downed trees on the other side, so as not to miss any of the route.

[​IMG]

Back at the room that night in Marietta, while buzzed up, we were laughing our asses off while looking at the picture of him jumping up onto the berm. I said, "What the hell were you doing sitting down, Herb? You should have been 'up-on-the-pegs' and instead you look like you're on a Goldwing cruising down the highway! And then taking off so fast across that berm!" We had tears running down our faces from laughing so hard.

N-Id-Jim, TownPump, drbuzzard and 4 others like this.
  2. STinner

STinner any direction will do

Oddometer:
    You guys are great entertainment! I ride dirt when I'm in a state park somewhere! IMG_0983.JPG
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Impressive rig! It's plain to see that you are enjoying retirement.
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Township Road 575 - Trans-Ohio Trail (Section Eleven) 13 May 2020:

This "forest road" crosses a rusty steel truss bridge spanning the Little Muskingum River which leads into (or out of) Ring Mill Campground. Township Road 575 then tees into Jericho Low Gap Road (Monroe 68) on the west-side of the river.

In 1882, there was a wood covered bridge at this location; it was replaced with this steel truss bridge in 1955. The adjacent community which developed was known as Ring's Mill.

[​IMG]

Ring Mill Campground:
    A miller by trade, Walter Ring and his wife Margaret bought this land, a log house, and a grist mill in 1840. They then built this sandstone house of blocks hauled to the site by teams of oxen.

The roof used to extend well over the front of the house, covering an elaborate porch with intricately detailed railings and supports.

In 1848 the Rings replaced the previous grist mill (built in 1817). The Ring Mill was five stories tall; it's mill stones came from Pennsylvania and each one was said to weigh 1,600 pounds. They added a sawmill in 1850. A school house is reported to have stood between the Ring's house and the mills.

An ice flow washed out the dam in 1921 and the mills were closed. They were dismantled and moved downstream where they later burned.

Four generations of the Ring family lived in the house until it was sold to the Forest Service in 1972. The house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

[​IMG]

The Ring House: The original plate is still over the front door designating this humble abode to Walter and Margaret Ring along with the year of 1846. Note the sandstone block construction.

[​IMG]

View from Ring Mill Bridge: The view (looking south) from the west end of the steel truss bridge.

[​IMG]
    N-Id-Jim, TownPump, drbuzzard and 4 others like this.
  5. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been playing with that OsmAnd+ mixed feelings the screen on the Duraforce pro is week in sunlight and another thing I can't seem to fix , is that when you zoom out, it always returns to some preset, its hooked up to a perfect squeeze juiced, with that vibration thing, the mount works great.

Attached Files:

6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:

I've only used the Duraforce Pro, so far, for following dedicated routes such as the Trans-Ohio Trail. That is my only plan for it: simply staying on a course by following a colored line. The reason I like it (for that) over a dedicated traditional GPS, is that the phone is sooooo much easier to load and view GPX routes.

The screen is hard to read in sunlight, as is every device that I've ever owned. Without getting into the high-end devices, I'm afraid that is unavoidable. I won't spend a lot on a GPS, so I just deal with it.

Can't recall about the zooming issue. I use my finger and thumb to zoom in and out when necessary. Maybe there is a setting that can be manipulated to override the default. This weekend I should be using it to ride some more of the TOT, so I will TRY to pay attention to the zoom feature.
    B10Dave likes this.
  7. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Trans-Ohio Trail - (Section Eleven) 13 May 2020:

The Little Muskingum River flows over the trail - at Cranes Nest Creek Road and Township Highway 358 in Woodsfield:

[​IMG]

This is up towards the origin of the Little Muskingum River (which is a tributary of the Ohio River); after looking at the map, it appears the river is fed from two smaller tributaries: a stream called Wolfpen Run and another called Crane Nest Fork. They all three merge just before our (pictured) crossing. I'm sure there are times during the year (after ample amounts of rain) that you might not want to tangle with this crossing.

Herb fording the river on his GSA:

[​IMG]

Gas Guy fording the Little Muskingum River. It was shallow on the side that we had arrived at, but became very deep on the far side before exiting back out and onto the gravel road:

[​IMG]

8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    More Trans-Ohio Trail -

Over the Labor Day weekend, I'd managed to get back to Southeastern Ohio and run down some more of the trail. Had (mostly) great weather and discovered more (thanks to the TOT) magical riding areas in one of my favorite states. I'm getting some pictures and a report together and will post them as soon as possible. Over the course of three-days, approximately 550-pictures were taken. Climbing on and off the bike keeps me in shape. After culling through them, about 90-pictures are to my satisfaction and shareable. I've also rambled off about a 3,000-word report to coincide.

A friend who recently accompanied me on a different ride, made a statement after seeing some of my pictures - that he also should focus on taking better pictures. I reminded him, "Well ... with today's technology, anybody can do it ... but it takes a lot of work. And if you're not willing to constantly stop and interrupt the flow of your ride, climb on and off the bike repeatedly, take tons of pictures, then cull, crop, and tweak ... forget about it." Don't kid yourself. An artistic eye absolutely makes a difference, but hard work is the determining factor.

[​IMG]
    popscycle, N-Id-Jim, TownPump and 4 others like this.
  9. STinner

Oddometer:
    The human eye processes so much info that a man-made device will never be able to duplicate the experience, but you do a good job anyway...................
    GAS GUY likes this.
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Thanks ... and I often think about exactly what you said; so many times (even when the picture is still very appealing), the picture only begins to portray what my mind was unraveling in the moment. The same with words; the greatest intellectual can only begin to touch on the human experience; the spirit of man transcends words and science!
    B10Dave and yosso like this.
  11. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    "Loosing Your Center"

After calling it a day (13 May 2020), and breaking off the Trans-Ohio Trail in Woodsfield; we rode the fast and twisty OH-26 back south to Marietta, which is where we were holing up for the night.

Knowlton Bridge has lost it's center since last time I was there; many years ago I'd posted a picture of the ST in front of this bridge when it still spanned the Little Muskingum River. This bridge has been "hanging" around since 1860 and is situated, down a dirt road, just off OH-26, which is known as the "Covered Bridge Byway" due to multiple covered bridges that still remain along it's path; although they are sadly starting to decay (such as this one) or have been closed (Hune Bridge).

People sometimes camp on the grounds near the bridge, and someone actually happened to capture the dramatic collapse on video; that footage was "floating" around on YouTube. Supposedly, the old bridge had been emitting strange creaking noises throughout the day, prior to it's collapse.

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, N-Id-Jim, popscycle and 3 others like this.
  12. drbuzzard

drbuzzard Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It didn't look like that on my last visit back in '18
    GAS GUY likes this.
  13. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Here is a shot I took from the other side of the bridge in 2015:

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, N-Id-Jim, popscycle and 3 others like this.
  14. STinner

Oddometer:
    Yes the video(no sound) is still up on youtube. Sad ending to a great bridge of history in Monroe County............
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:

For sure, a month or so ago, when I was down that way on the Ultra Classic making my rounds, I stopped at Hune Bridge and was very disappointed that I couldn't ride across it, as it's shut down, and perhaps indefinately.
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Marietta - (13 May 2020)

Herb reading about some history pertaining to the old town of Marietta as he scarfs down a hot fudge sundae. The old weathered and embedded stones that lead down to the Ohio River (just to his right) were mentioned on the informative placard; those same stones were tread upon as passengers disembarked from boats and climbed to shore so many years ago.

If you are a history buff … then this town is for you. Lots of history here!

Not much was open during this visit to Marietta due to the pandemic, but at least I was able to introduce Herb to the town … and we were able to get an ice cream from a stand situated along the sidewalk.

Magnificent, fiery, red sunsets can often be experienced from this location, or from up on the bridge to West Virginia. But no such look on this cloudy evening.

[​IMG]
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The Amish - (14 May 2020)

I've always admired the Amish for their natural and simplistic lifestyle. It's not that they are infallible, they're not, they are human. But as someone who grew up before computers, even though I'm aware of technologies benefits and applaud many of the more useful examples, I also know that we have lost many of our old values. So whenever I'm wandering in their neck of the woods, the setting and vibe takes my spirit back to the simpler times of my life. As the pace continually quickens in our American rat race, the more inviting their lifestyle appears. Whenever the opportunity arises I try to photograph these elusive people and their way of life. Ohio is home to the largest Amish population in the United States, so you are bound to cross paths with them while traversing the Trans-Ohio Trail.

This was either on State Route 555 or 377 near Chesterhill, Ohio - early in the morning while working my way back to Detroit. I'd broken trail (TOT) at this point, but was very near it. This is a still shot pulled from some GoPro footage. Usually I leave the GoPro at home, because it's just one more thing to deal with on the road (another distraction), but I do like some of the wide-angle scenes that it captures in the rare occasions when I do muster up the patience to fiddle with it. To my eye, the composition (thanks to the wider angle of view, which also allows a partial glimpse of my bike) of this photograph is aesthetically pleasing.

[​IMG]
    N-Id-Jim, popscycle, Samspade and 2 others like this.
  18. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Watch them rode apples da be slippery
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    A few big projects came up at home, which has hindered my ability to string together a better report and pictures from the last ride down … but I'll get it together and posted soon.

How can you not rave about roads like these? This is between Chesterhill (OH-555) and San Toy (Ghost Town).

Wade Tower Road - (TOT Section 4) 7 September 2020:

[​IMG]
  20. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    I just found this thread and have been enjoying it immensely. Your post explains as well as anything I have ever read the allure of riding.

I find that for most ride reports, I pay attention to the photos and skim the words. In many of your posts the photos seem almost superfluous because the prose paint the picture so well. You have a rare and special gift for writing. Thanks for sharing it!
    B10Dave, Sunday Rider and GAS GUY like this.