GAS GUY 2021 - (Rushing to Freeze Time)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, Apr 7, 2021.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Life and Death

[​IMG]

Another year of juggling life while scouring the earth for inspiration and meaning has commenced. I'll immerse myself into all of it; places bustling with every walk of life. Then also, remote locations devoid of people. The affluent neighborhoods as well as the desolate. Broken concrete and crumbling buildings one week followed by national forest and sand another. From sophisticated art to ghetto graffiti while searching out every form of expression in between. It's all out there; adventure is everywhere. Life must be experienced real, raw and completely. All sides. All rides. Different attitudes and different vehicles are all tools used to heighten consciousness and expand perspectives. There will be days of deep despair and sorrow while other days will elevate me to lofty heights among the clouds. Life will be embraced and death accepted. Nature does as it wills.

Abstraction Runs Deep in Detroit.

[​IMG]

Blue Boy - The World Keeps Getting Weirder.

[​IMG]

The paradox of man has no defined edges and while we know that deep down ... it's terrifying to accept.

[​IMG]

In the end ... everything becomes a mirage. An illusion we created ... and then destroyed.

[​IMG]
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    A National Historic Landmark and Brisket

[​IMG]

Saturday 13 March 2021
    This morning I had a dream that an odd looking military plane that no one has ever seen before was flying by overhead. So I went outside and started photographing it. There was just enough time to get a couple of shots with my smartphone. As soon as I started snapping the pictures a warning started to come over my phone, in letters across the screen and audibly, that I shouldn't be photographing this government troop transport plane. Then I woke.

Sunday 14 March 2021
    Got out for a shake-down ride on the Project Rushmore. A National Historic Landmark and brisket were in my sights. Like says Pink Floyd, "Wish You Were Here." I'd like to say it's the first day of spring ... but it's still winter. It's more like the last ride of winter, as spring is only six-days away.

While exiting Hines Drive onto Ford Road - this massive American flag, rippling high up in the wind current, presented itself as a backdrop.

[​IMG]

Finally got this Ultra Classic just (almost) how I'd initially envisioned; it's taken a couple of years as time and money are always the obstacles that need to be patiently overcome. Perhaps the only other thing I'll do in the future is rework the front forks. I've found that the Supertrap 2-into-1 is now ideal (to me) since changing the closed end cap to an open end cap; better sound (still not obnoxious) and response. Replaced the two front pathetically and prematurely warped rotors with some from Galfer. And I'm extremely pleased with the Bitubo shocks; it's still a Harley and these broken roads of Metro Detroit will still keep you honest, but I can live with these suspenders.

[​IMG]

The backside of the Henry Ford Estate, with the Rouge River running through the property:

[​IMG]

Side view of the front of the 56-room mansion:

[​IMG]

Southwest side of the Fair Lane Estate; standing in the recessed stairs leading to the Boathouse/Rock Garden while looking back at the Henry Ford Estate:

[​IMG]

The Powerhouse/Garage of Fair Lane;
    Thomas Edison (who was a frequent guest) laid the cornerstone (in 1914) to this building:

[​IMG]

Henry & Clara Ford:

[​IMG]

It was still early in the year and a bit dreary; after the greenery becomes lush and the flora blossoms - another visit or two is planned. Then some more pictures and history will be provided.

Satisfied with my outing, I'd head over to Noah's Smoke House.

Best burger in town. The "Smokin' Burger." A quality ground burger crowned with slices of brisket.

It's just up the road in Dearborn (Westborn) on Monroe Street, just north of Michigan Avenue.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, dondesmo, Samspade and 5 others like this.
  3. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m still waiting for the slow boat from Italy to bring the Bitubo’s for the Valk, ordered 3 weeks ago via Traxxion
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Hopefully they arrive soon, as spring has sprung; here anyway ... that may be questionable there in the U.P. though. I'm happy with those Bitubo shocks! On the Road King too; big difference. Just finished up a list of work on the King a couple weeks ago, put insurance back on it and have been riding it daily, when the starter begins acting up and sounding ugly. It's always something. And the ST is currently tore apart on the lift for a leaky water pump. Then I'm supposed to take the GSA to the dealer for the fuel pump recall; think I'm probably going to wait for fall on that as I'm itching to get into the woods soon. The S.O.A.L. in Ohio and Huron N.F. in Michigan are on my short list this year. So much has been going on that sometimes I feel overwhelmed. And the damned broken world. The black dog is always nipping at my heels as I try to juggle so much. But walking that narrow edge seems to keep me in the fight. Just going to do my best to enjoy the year, despite the dark spirit lingering over the world lately. Was hoping to get up your way too this year, but not sure now, as I may need to make a run or two to the Virginia coast to see my father.

[​IMG]
  5. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes those Bitubo’s where well received by ZRX owners,looking forward to when they get here.

I suppose we’re a bit isolated, or at least I am from what’s been going down lately, with the border closed my job has been easier and there’s no where near as many people in town on account of the closed border. I feel there’s a pent up need, or desire for people to get out and travel this summer, and the roads may be a real shit show.

I’ve been toying with the thought of going back to Oregon to see family, I haven’t been back there since early 90’s, although I was born and raised there till the ripe old age of 10, my formative years where in the southeast, and that’s where I prefer to travel and visit. Oregon is nice, but as they say you can never go home, And neither myself or relatives are getting any younger, decisions,decisions and not enough free time.
    Bigbob1, B10Dave and GAS GUY like this.
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Honda ST1300 - (93,735-miles)

Time to do some work; get the machine ready for more miles. The water pump started weeping from the round hole in the front crankcase cover. That's alright, this bike doesn't owe me a nickel.

I'd already had the body work removed, because last fall the ST had developed an erratic idle issue so I thought it might have a carbon plugged vacuum line at the 4 or 5-way tee or map sensor or even one of the vent lines. After lifting the fuel tank, removing the air box, and blowing out all of the vent and vacuum lines (nothing for certain was found) I'd added Sea Foam to the fuel and ran the bike through many warm-up cycles and everything was checking out satisfactorily.

So now I'm thinking maybe the fuel was old or an injector had some junk in it from the bike sitting so much. Probably should continue to introduce Sea Foam to the fuel system periodically. Anyway, on that last warm-up to verify everything still checked out, before putting the extensive body work (fairing) back together, while the bike was idling, a small circle of fluid began forming under the front of the bike on the surface of the driveway.

Sure enough ... coolant. Knew what it was, but verified the coolant was running down from the small, round hole in the front crankcase cover. You'd think I'd be upset ... but I was actually relieved. You see, I'd been catching a whiff of coolant, occasionally, over the past couple of years and with the odometer approaching 100K, suspected the water pump was on the verge of needing an overhaul ... and what better place for this realization to become concrete ... than in your driveway while the bike is sitting naked! Plus ... I've other motorcycles to ride. So no stress or pressure involved.

[​IMG]
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  7. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    ST1300 Valve Clearance Check - (93,735-miles)

Before ordering the associated parts to rebuild the water pump, figured I'd pull the valve covers and measure the valve clearances again.

They are still within specification.

The spec is .006" +/- .001" for the intake valves and .010" +/- .001" for the exhaust valves.

The #1 cylinder (left-front) intake valve was at .006" while the exhaust valve measured at .009" - but I could force a .010 feeler gauge.

The #2 cylinder (right-front) and #3 cylinder (left-rear) returned the same readings as cylinder #1.

The #4 cylinder (right-rear) was perfect at .006" on the intake and .010" on the exhaust.

That is incredible considering this machine has never needed an adjustment; it's still sporting the same shims under the buckets as when it left the factory!

Ordered a set of NGK CR7EH9 plugs (what the factory calls for) to replace the NGK CR8EH9 plugs that I installed about 40,000-miles ago.

[​IMG]
    popscycle and B10Dave like this.
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Pulled the radiator, water pump cover, and front crankcase cover so I could rebuild the weeping water pump.

Once the front crankcase cover is removed the associated water pump parts can be pressed out; they reside in the crankcase cover. At the time I wasn't aware of a specification on how far the impeller shaft protrudes from the cover, so I took a measurement with a vernier caliper before disassembly. The impeller shaft protrudes 0.940" or 24mm; later on I did in fact verify that the specification is exactly what I measured.

Front cover and water pump splined shaft:

[​IMG]

Once the impeller shaft has been pressed out, you can remove the mechanical seal (the coolant leak), oil seal, and press the bearing out. The impeller shaft will be used after cleaning up the shaft with crocus cloth and oil, the rest of the parts have been compromised and will be replaced with factory parts.

Going back together, we had to "creep up" on the impeller shaft position specification by pressing it into the bearing and front cover with an arbor press - a few thousandths of an inch at a time.

It is somewhat tedious, as after each incremental press, you have to remove the cover from the arbor press set-up and measure how far the impeller shaft protrudes above the bearing face with a vernier caliper. Specification is .940" above the bearing face. We actually went a few thousandths past and had to go back the other way at one point. In the end we (performed this task at a friend's garage equipped with a press) were victorious.

The impeller side presses against and compresses the spring loaded mechanical seal that keeps the coolant contained in the proper passageways and away from the oil seal on the other side of the cavity. The oil seal keeps the oil (on the inside of the cover) from attempting to pass through the mechanical seal and getting into the coolant in the water pump cavity. In between the mechanical seal and the oil seal is the small round "weep hole" in the cover that leaves the tell-tale stream of coolant running down the side of the engine's front cover - indicating a mechanical seal failure (which I had) - and dictating a water pump overhaul.

The ST's engine is a wild configuration:

The primary gear in the center is driven by the crankshaft which resides in-between the upper and lower crankcase.

The clutch assembly is beneath and driven by the primary gear.

That small chain-driven gear to the left is what the water pump impeller shaft splines into when you install the front crankcase cover, which in turn drives the water pump.

[​IMG]
    popscycle and B10Dave like this.
  9. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Detroit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    popscycle, klaviator and B10Dave like this.
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well; that "collection" is not something you see in my neighbourhood. Jeff; is a lot of the run down part of urban Detroit like that or just some areas? I have relatives up in the northwest suburbs but stay away from Detroit proper mostly.
  11. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Run down? That is art, Dave. Detroit art. Decrepit Detroit art. Laughing my ass off!

It really is ... it's the world-renowned Heidelberg Project on the east side. Other than downtown, most of the city is in bad shape ... but not as bad as Heidelberg street! Detroit went from the richest city in the world to perhaps the poorest. If America isn't careful, the same could happen on a larger scale. But I'm remaining optimistic and I think the Motor City will rebound - as long as the country can get their collective shit together.

More Heidelberg Project:

Noah's Ark (Detroit Version)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was an enormous stainless steel bowl heaped with cat food and straw bedding situated under this colorful hood collection that I would assume is for the local feral cats. Glad to see that effort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really like your pictures but can't say that I think much of the art. Piling up and coloring a bunch of junk doesn't seem the stuff of artistic talent. I think I've seen prettier junkyards.
    B10Dave and GAS GUY like this.
  13. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    I concur. But the oddity factor has to be captured ... just because it's really out there. And the history. Dude was actually on Oprah years ago. The world is crazier than many realize. And getting crazier.
    B10Dave likes this.
  14. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    But don't worry, Pops - more aesthetically pleasing stuff is coming.

[​IMG]
    B10Dave likes this.
  15. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No worries. Wondering, though, if they're ever going to restore that gorgeous Detroit train station.
    B10Dave likes this.
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Passed through Corktown a few weeks ago and noted plenty of elaborate scaffolding spanning across various sections of the building - indicating that they (Ford Motor Company) are serious at work on restoring that grand structure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the elevated and crumbling railroad bed:

[​IMG]
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeff; with your more spread out pics I can see now that it is a whole large area of "art and sculpture". Once the larger area can be seen it is indeed "ART"; but like John says; not really my cup of tea. Thanks for the extra pics to put it into context..Dave