GAS GUY 2021 - (Rushing to Freeze Time)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, Apr 7, 2021.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  2. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice picture in the magazine, I hope the fame and fortune that follow won’t spoil you:D
    drbuzzard likes this.
  3. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Please expand on this. We gots to know.
    drbuzzard likes this.
  4. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ADV summer issue
    BF0AB397-DAB7-42C1-97C9-8A4BF3F9F103.jpeg
    drbuzzard, Bigbob1, GAS GUY and 2 others like this.
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The "Battle Wagon" made an appearance in the magazine.

20210719_170945.jpg
  6. Sunday Rider

Oddometer:
    Part of me is so glad it was the ST, but you have so many calendar worthy shots; any would have been great. Congratulations Jeff! Thanks for @luftkoph for bringing it to our attention.
    B10Dave and GAS GUY like this.
  7. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The magazine does the real picture no justice. They cropped the picture and the dull paper stock leaves a lot to be desired. I know it's a subjective topic, but the magazine doesn't move me. Most of the content doesn't interest me either. Perhaps my expectations are too high.

Here is the real picture:

[​IMG]
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Film Is Not Dead

Speaking of photographs: You may remember a while back when I posted the inner city Road King Ramble in which I shared a picture of Nelson in the wooded, homeless hangout. That picture was taken with my Galaxy Note 8.

Well ... these days I'm often toting three or four cameras around with me while out and about. One of which, on that day, was a 35-year-old Minolta (X-7A) film (SLR) camera. It happened to be hanging from around my neck, with a just-as-old hippie patterned strap. So, I snapped a shot of Nelson with the vintage film camera as he was in his glory - reliving stories of old.

Just got the roll of film developed the other day and let me tell you, film is not dead. It's not convenient, it's not fast, and it's not cheap ... but there is an added element of soul - that film captures - if you ask me.

This picture (Fujifilm 400) is straight out of the camera with absolutely no enhancements:

[​IMG]
    JimRidesThis, Aa Ell, paladin and 4 others like this.
  9. STinner

STinner any direction will do

Oddometer:
    makes me want tp resurrect my old Minolta X-700. My avatar was taken with this camera years ago.
    drbuzzard and GAS GUY like this.
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    That is one of the best and longest running SLR cameras with immense popularity and a 19-year run. But ... there is a good chance it will need 2-capacitors de-soldered and replaced by re-soldering; that is a common ailment of those models. If your film advance lever is stuck and the shutter won't fire - you will know. Make sure new batteries are in the camera first.

How do I know? I've one sitting around - waiting for winter - to be tore into:

[​IMG]
    Aa Ell, drbuzzard and Sunday Rider like this.
  11. Sunday Rider

Oddometer:
    The SLRs have such great depth/tones with film/slides. I held onto my Pentax MX, must be going on 40 years or more. I preferred the mechanical aspect of it, with batteries only needed for the light meter. With film you have to take your time and compose as the mistakes are costly. Waiting for film to be processed also made it a patience building exercise, unless you processed your own (then it was even a more patience building exercise).
    That is a great shot of Nelson.
    Aa Ell, drbuzzard and GAS GUY like this.
  12. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Speaking of an Old Mechanical Pentax

[​IMG]

While I won't limit myself to being a Pentaxian, they are exceptionally appealing to me and I've become somewhat of a curator of various Pentax models and lenses lately. It's a work in progress - 30 or 40 years late.

Growing up frugally in the 1970's - all we ever used were cheap 110 cameras. No one in the family ever invested in high quality cameras. The 110 carried over into the 80's for my mom and me as well. Although, there was the camera-less period in the early to mid-80's when I was doing hard time on the road with "Blackie" (my father) which I refer to as "The Missing Years." In the late 80's - while in Korea - I'd shoot 35mm ... but only with a budget point-and-shoot camera that was procured from the post exchange. Always Fujifilm of course.

If only I still had those pictures. They'd be priceless now. I'd wander the country by foot, bus, train, and taxi from north to south and east to west while on pass or leave - taking pictures of all aspects of life. Hardcore street photography in a land where life was incredibly real.

One night during one of my emotional collisions, I'd destroyed all of the pictures and smashed my camera - not taking another picture for over a decade. I'd gone in too deep. As I always do. Sometimes conflicting energies collide.

So, recently I've begun to experiment with quality vintage cameras and legacy lenses ... which have opened up a whole new world for me. One I never got to experience back when they were mainstream. There is so much to be learned by practicing the art in an older form.

Digital will still be my main form of freezing the moment as it's so much more practical, but I'm enjoying supplementing the digital archives with a modest sprinkling of film renderings. There is something special about film and the whole process. The passion is there, but keep in mind that I'm just beginning to learn the technical aspects such as metering. That-being-said, I'm sure my settings are often far from ideal.

Here are a few - just recently developed - that I captured (and are unedited) with a legendary 40-year-old Pentax K1000:

- Of the old Road King while using a Pentax nifty 50mm lens:

[​IMG]

- Inside Historic Fort Wayne of Detroit:

[​IMG]

- This glass wind spinner (wife's garden art) was taken with an amazing Takumar 100mm prime lens (on the camera in the first picture):

[​IMG]

- Even this slightly under exposed photograph of Summer (the kitten that I rescued from inside the wheel well of a car three-years-ago) is appealing to me for it's nostalgic spirit. It looks like an instant classic:

[​IMG]
  13. Sunday Rider

Oddometer:
    Incredible post man. I am drifting back to the 70s with all these mechanicals and the venerable K 1000. How many have thrown out pictures and negatives in their youth to regret that now.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  14. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Radical Transformations
    9 July 2021

As I approached Bay City, the dark band that smeared across the morning horizon shifted into fragmented cloud formations before transitioning into a calming, clear, blue sky in the afternoon.

These scenes pull me from the bike. I don't want to stop ... but I've no control over the compelling force that imposes it's will onto my spirit. I see the aesthetically pleasing scenes transpire and can't resist the urge to freeze it. Perhaps it's my little way of pointing the middle finger at the all-powerful concept of time. Even if it's in vain. In the end, time will get it's way. Repossessing all traces of our feeble attempts to understand or hold it captive. We can still challenge it in the meantime, until it comes rushing in and has it's way.

[​IMG]
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
  16. STinner

STinner any direction will do

Oddometer:
    wouldn't know where to start. we'll be communicating this winter if that's cool.

How do I know? I've one sitting around - waiting for winter - to be tore into:

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    drbuzzard and GAS GUY like this.
  17. Samspade

Samspade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of the antique store in Toy Story 4. If you've seen the movie it gives you a very melancholy perspective on such places.
    B10Dave and GAS GUY like this.
  18. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Huron National Forest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Samspade, Aa Ell, drbuzzard and 3 others like this.
  20. paladin

paladin n00b

Oddometer:
    Now that is a picture, it is like you could reach thru the screen and touch the motorcycle. The depth of the picture makes me wonder where that road is going. Great work Jeff thank you.
    GAS GUY and B10Dave like this.