GAS GUY 2021 - (Rushing to Freeze Time)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, Apr 7, 2021.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    In Search of S.O.A.L.
    Part Nine

North of Pike State Forest APV Area - Near Drybone and Fairview Roads:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the rain started. The skies became increasingly menacing. The rain was ramping up. We found refuge at a gas station/store/pizzeria with picnic tables situated under a generous (and cozy) overhang. By this time the rain was coming down in sheets. Then buckets. Normally when it rains at this level of intensity ... it's short lived; especially when its so hot. Not this time. It rained so hard for so long that even though the tank bag had it's cover donned, water got up underneath and eventually saturated the bottom of the bag (while parked). Never experienced that. Would have never even thought. What we thought would be a brief respite, turned into a couple of hours as the torrential rains were relentless.

There were tornado’s in the area besides the thunderstorms.

Our sanctuary:

[​IMG]

Inside our Sanctuary - We had time to kill, so we sampled their pizza. Many pizza's came out of that oven as locals kept pulling up, running in, grabbing their dinner, and dashing back to the car. After devouring a few slices, I affectionately teased her, "You've got the best pizza in town." Her and I both knew it was the only pizza in town:

[​IMG]

The location of our sanctuary was in Cynthiana at Muddy Fork Road (213) and OH-41. Cynthiana no longer has a post office, so the new mailing address is Bainbridge. Bainbridge is only 6.5-miles away.

An Amish local:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally the rain slowed to a typical level so we made a bolt for camp.

Along the way, you couldn't help but notice every ditch, creek, and river was swollen and raging. Flooding everywhere.

Making a run for camp along OH-41:

[​IMG]

Heading north on OH-41 towards US-50, which would deliver us into Bainbridge:

[​IMG]

Flash floods. The paved road (Pike Lake Road) to camp was in atrocious shape. Strewn with large rocks and torrents of water. Hit it at speed. Lucky I didn't go down. Jumped off the bike on the far side of the debris and ran back and warned Kenny to slow down as he approached:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I arrived back at camp, my tent was full of water. A couple of tent stakes had pulled up and both heavy aluminum panniers inside had been knocked down. A stream of water must have been flowing fairly rapidly into the area near my tent. There were tell-tale signs such as a worn down path across the grass and a build up of natural debris such as small sticks and leaves that had washed up from around the campground.

An alert was coming over the phone. A loud siren was wailing off in the distance.

Relocated the tent and dried it out the best I could. Resorted to the waterproof bivy inside on the damp floor.

Sat back and relaxed as the sky became a light show. Never seen it flashing with lightning for so long. Probably over an hour. But the rain had finally diminished. Friday was calling for phenomenal weather conditions!
    Shaggie, smashley, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I admire you riding tenacity. After all these years, I avoid soggy like the plague.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  3. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good thing your kit wasn’t washed away.
    Back in the last century in the year of around 1972 two friends and myself where backpacking on the Buckeye trail and a gully washer/ toad floater came thru at nite, I remember water running past my tent, probably an inch deep, didn’t think nothing of it in my teenagers brain, nowadays I might be a bit concerned knowing how devastating flash floods can be.
    B10Dave and GAS GUY like this.
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    In Search of S.O.A.L.
    Part Ten

Friday:

Pike Lake was a muddy brown the next day. Looked like Bosco Chocolate Milk.

With only a few northern sections of the route remaining, we rode out of camp and back into Bainbridge for fuel. We ran OH-41 north to Greenfield; this is a perfect paved stretch of asphalt with nice rolling hills and subtle curves. Then right back down to US-50 via Rapid Forge Road (through more farmland) which parallels OH-41.

We continued south (counterclockwise) through the Arc of Appalachia and the Seven Caves area. The road through here showed signs of erosion damage from the torrential rains the night before. A young road commission guy that I saw out there said, "I'll be hauling gravel all day to repair these roads."

This was a beautiful area and is where the photogenic hanging rock resides (not to be confused Hanging Rock in Southeastern Ohio):

[​IMG]

Green Ridge Road - Just north of Latham:

[​IMG]

Just south of Pike Lake - In the crook of Pike Lake Road & Morgan's Fork Road in Richardson's Hollow sits this interesting old building:

[​IMG]

Ohio Horses - Potts Hill and Landrum Road:

[​IMG]

We followed the route to the point where we had departed the evening before - when the storm blew in. Then we shot across to the northeastern side of the route - as we had one remaining section to finish!
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    In Search of S.O.A.L.
    Part Eleven

[​IMG]

Alexander Hollow Road

We rode around the road closed barrier.

A group of riders on shiny new 250's (Honda's and Yamaha's) were coming towards us from the other direction as we started our way down Alexander Hollow Road.

The lead rider stopped me and asked, "Do you happen to know a way around that downed tree back there?"

"No, I'm not familiar with the area and am simply following a designated route." Then I asked him, "Can you get around the tree?"

"There is a rough way around, but we're not trying it. Good luck!" He said before throttling away.

Hmmm ... and these guys are on little bikes. Doesn't sound promising. But I must see for myself. I'm not easily discouraged. Especially when another rider is present.

When we got close, we dismounted and walked down to evaluate the situation.

As we descended the downhill, eroded trail to the downed tree. There lay a rider on his side next to his DRZ 400 with blood on his face and dripping down his nose:

[​IMG]

He said, "I got sucked down into that ditch while turning around and pulled something in my leg."

He was with that group on the 250's and they didn't yet realize that he was hurt. He wasn't alone. Another rider was there with him, so he rode his bike back up and out, before walking back down to retrieve his own.

The hurt rider looked astonished as I came rolling past him on the massive GSA.

Later we would see them ride past as we were parking our bikes for lunch in Bainbridge at the Paxton Restaurant (decent food and fair prices).

Now to get around this downed tree! On sloping terrain - after all of that rain no less.

This was our last stretch of trail, before having completed the entire route, besides a few paved roads back into Bainbridge. We may as well finish off this grand adventure with an exclamation point!

We had to negotiate somewhat of a short trials course through the forest here in order to bypass the tree. We had to leave the rutted road by way of climbing over a steep berm that you had no chance of getting square to before the attempt. Then you had to slide down a slick, wet, dirt hill before traversing a rock garden - slick with moisture and mud - while turning left to set up for a steep drop back down to the road. Kenny was looking apprehensive as I walked it. The whole time I was explaining to him the lines we would take and the techniques we'd employ. That's one thing about Kenny, you might not convince him ... but he is game regardless.

I'd ride it first and then coach him through the the sequence.

Before starting I gave him my phone for pictures but his photographic composition skills are not so stellar ... so my head is cut off in most of the pictures. Or they are blurry. Probably should have fired up the GoPro and had him film it as the action cam has a wider view. No worries though, as I snapped off some pictures when he went through.

I made it through clean, other than a few dabs and the back tire sliding around. Getting up the berm and into the woods had my skid plate kissing the earth. Not only did you have to power up there, but then you had to exhibit flawless clutching, throttle, and brake control skills to stop instantly at the top, setting up for the slick descent. Then I'd employ an old technique of mine for descending the slick dirt by killing the engine, engaging first gear, and then modulating forward progress with the clutch and brakes. The bike will slide some but you use balance and body-english to reach the bottom in an upright position. Powered through the slick rock garden with the back tire thrashing about a bit. Then the steep drop back down to the road looked ominous but was simple compared to the other three impediments.

Kenny did exceptionally well, considering he was on a more-or-less new bike and hasn't had the opportunity to ride much the last few years.

He made it on top of the berm with only a brief over-revving of the throttle and slight misposition:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He made it halfway down the descent before the bike slid out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I helped him recover, he made it through the rock garden but ended up a little wide and stopped - but still upright. He was getting anxious now and spinning his tire while working too hard:

[​IMG]

I told him, "Stop. Relax and breathe. Take your time and think. Don't let anxiety and anticipation rob you of your intelligence. We have all day. You only have 20-feet to go and their is nothing to get excited about. Be confident:"

[​IMG]

Then he shifted his weight, used proper throttle and clutch control and powered out of the soft forest floor - with finesse - to stage and get set, before dropping back down to the road:

[​IMG]

Fist bump!

[​IMG]

Evaluate the obstacles, decide what line you will take and what techniques you will employ. Relax. Breathe. Be confident. Once you start forward - commit! You already made your plan. Don't ever second guess it or be apprehensive once you decide to tackle something. If you are, don't even attempt it, turn around instead.
    HuckIt, popscycle, smashley and 4 others like this.
  6. smashley

smashley Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I like the patience and the coaching, sounds like someone that would be great to ride with.
    B10Dave, popscycle and GAS GUY like this.
  7. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Last Ride on the King

The King is sold. But the King isn't dead. Long live the King.

Last ride (last weekend) to get a brisket burger at Noah's Smokehouse - as I pondered the offer and readied myself to accept.

A rare machine that will be missed - and can't be replaced. Such is life.

[​IMG]

popscycle, Samspade, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  8. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Sad to see that Blue work of art go.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  9. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    In Search of S.O.A.L.
    Final (Part 12 of 12)​

Finishing up the route on US-50 through farmland, forest, and hills.

Heading west into Bainbridge to finish up the entire route (SOAL):

[​IMG]

While not centrally located on the route, Bainbridge, coupled with our (nearby) basecamp at Pike Lake, would act as the hub of our adventure. A point of reference as well as a food and fuel stop. It's a small town, but is located along the prominent US-50. Bainbridge is also home to the first dental school in the United States.

[​IMG]

As we were parking the bikes in front of the Paxton Restaurant for lunch (on Friday), a unique architectural detail showcasing itself against the splotchy sky caught my eye and beckoned to be photographed:

[​IMG]

Grabbing lunch before breaking camp and heading north:

[​IMG]

Potts Hill Road (28) - Leading from Bainbridge to Pike Lake Road and the campground. As do so many of these wonderful Ohio roads, it passes through farmland and hills:

[​IMG]

Same road - heading back towards Bainbridge while heading home:

[​IMG]

We stopped and took a few pictures as we passed through Washington Court House, Ohio. I love these small, old Ohio Towns:

[​IMG]

Some interesting history! And we think things are crazy now:

[​IMG]

It happened to be coffee time, so we searched out and found a quaint coffee shop tucked down a side street:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we stayed rolling 'till we made it on home. Woke Saturday morning feeling good. Started going through my pictures of the ride and jotting down some notes.

Woke up Sunday morning feeling kind of rough.

Went to bed Sunday night and I was freezing.

Woke up Monday morning burning up, with a headache, and bad body aches.

Called in to work and went to get tested for Covid. I knew it had struck. Positive!

Quarantine and some rough days began. Then it got rougher as both my daughters and my wife became sick.

My wife was the worst, she had a fever and temperature between 100 and 105 for a week. I was worried.

The kids and I weren't hit too bad physically (overall), but the emotional side was a challenge. For us, this Covid had a dark, depressive aspect attached to it. We felt disconnected and lost as if we weren't ourselves. It was really bizarre.

It took two weeks before I could really work and another two before I felt grounded and myself again. My smell is just now returning.

[​IMG]
  10. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    I want to like this update but that last part is just tough. Glad you are doing okay and hope your daughters and wife are fully recovered. Oh man.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  11. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me also Jeff. Can't "like" the last post. Hope you and your family are fully recovered with no lingering effects.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  12. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't "like" any cases of covid or any flu variant, Jeff, but glad to hear all's on the mend.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  13. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear you and your family caught the virus. My wife and I caught it last October, it wasn't much fun but we got thru it ok.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  14. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Thanks, fellas, for all of the concern.

Last weekend, while out urban exploring, I'd photographed an optimistic message.
    It was in a bleak area of Detroit, but a message of truth.
    Which can be applied to our timeless states of dysfunction,
    everywhere we inhabit.
    Literally.
    Or metaphorically.

[​IMG]
    Samspade, B10Dave, popscycle and 2 others like this.
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The Mighty ST Emerges

[​IMG]

With a now half-empty garage, and cooler temperatures - the ST has suddenly discovered itself in a state of newfound relevance.

All spiffed up with a fresh coat of Mother's Carnauba wax - besides a new water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, oil change, and valve clearance check. At 94,000-miles and the valves are still within specification ... having never been adjusted.

[​IMG]
    Samspade, Enfo, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer: