GasGas bought by KTM

Discussion in 'Trials' started by CDN Rick, Sep 26, 2019.

1. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I compared to the XC because of the linkage and didn't see the other version offered. Seems similar to what KTM did with Husky, minus the composite subframe and different brakes.
  2. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM has done the same sort of thing with Husky on brakes. TE gets Magura brakes and clutch hydraulics, TC and TX get Brembo.
  3. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reiger makes great shocks. I've been to their factory in the eastern Netherlands. I've owned two standard Reigers and one Factory Reiger with a gaggle of adjustments.

The common Ohlins so called 2-way shock, modified for longer travel and fit with a soft 55 N/mm spring creates the plushest, most bottomless, best-traction trials rear suspension I've ever experienced. Such a mod is a complete no go with a Reiger:nah That won't matter to most riders, but it matters to me. If I buy a new trials bike with a Reiger, the modified Ohlins on the Sherco will go on the new bike and someone can have my used bike with a new Reiger, if a swap is possible with the unmodifiable Reiger.
    motoc, jonnyc21 and riabma77 like this.
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You obviously have never ridden a TRS Gold with the BIG Reiger rear shock. It`s like heaven, but hard to think only about the rear end when the whole bike just shines!!
  5. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    First dibs on Motobene's unwanted TRS Gold shock when he buys one!
  6. motobene

Oddometer:
    I'm getting dated. I completely forgot about the larger-body Reiger shock. You remind me of a conversation I had a while back with Randy Lewis about something new Reiger was doing.

Is it this shock?
    TRS Reiger Shock Large Body.JPG

Hard to tell with the reservoir end angling away if the above has a larger-diameter body.

No wait... I found it:
    TRS Gold Reiger Shock.JPG

The body is obviously fatter inside the smallish Reiger spring. I don't remember the diameter. Probably still not as big as a Showa off a 4RT, but certainly better than too dinky, which it is in the smaller versions.

That's not cheap, however! $1,760 AUD is $1,250 USD. Much more economical to buy on the bike.

Here's the manual:
    http://www.trsmotosusa.com/documents/TRS-REIGER-40mm-MANUAL.pdf

Back when I started this thread:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/inside-the-reiger-shock.916814/

...and was looking at the variety of the Reigers available then:
    Gas-Gas Reigers.JPG

... I set my opinions of Reigers, but now it's 8 or so years later. If/when I get a newer trials bike, TRS would be in the top slot. A gold 250 is currently my top pick. And with that 40mm shock, no need to swap the Ohlins onto it :-O
    Gordy, jonnyc21, Champe and 3 others like this.
  7. Vintage pro

Vintage pro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reiger is on the right track as I noted over 5 years ago going from a 31mm body to a 40mm body bore. ( motobene remember me telling you about that problem ) If you buy the TRS Gold with the 40mm Reiger I strongly suggest using a 50 to 55 Nm spring to get the most out of the bike because you will most likely never bottom the shock - out / the linkage ramping will not allow you to do it. You will use your compression adjuster on the shock to control any issue on close bottoming, such as a slow downhill push off a big rock ( which you want ) not a fast splatter movement. ( Hydraulics involved )
    Refreshing our memory on this subject I built a long travel Ohlins 5 years ago and I'm aware of all the dimensions. ( stock Ollie had 6 1/4" travel ) I'm sure the Reiger is still using those numbers.
    I've also built a 46mm Bore Ohlins for the Beta I've used from time to time, it's the largest I've seen so far on a trials bike and will only work on Beta's or TRS frame bikes. That's one of the great things about the TRS, they give you a lot of room for the shock. On the Vertigo you can only use the smaller 31mm Reiger because of the fuel cell around the shock.

Attached Files:

motobene likes this.
  8. dcg141

dcg141 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am a KTM/Husqvarna/Beta dealer and now GG. I was a GG enduro dealer for years also. My trials experience is zero and I have for a month or been trying to find anything about trials and any current forum with info not several years old. This looks like the only current forum for trails, I would love to know of any others. I have been an off-road dealer since 2000 and raced since the 70's. I've had some background with GG as I know Don Knight, Clay Stucky and Mark Berg. I never had any contact with Dale or anyone on the trials side. I would love to get in contact with any of those guys just to ask some questions. We pride ourselves on getting answers so I like having a network of people that I can get solid info from. Reading this whole tread, and I have read all of it, has been pretty informative. I have sold some Beta and GG trials bikes but other than ordering parts for them I have not had to do much with the bikes themselves. I was a Sherco dealer when Clay had them and I declined extending that last year for reasons of my own. As I get info from GG/KTM about what's going I will glad to pass on anything but really they never tell us much that's not already public knowledge. Hoss if you want to reach out to me I would love to have you as a contact, if not I understand. I may come in here from time to time and ask some questions and would love everyones feedback.
    riabma77, motobene and Gordy like this.
  9. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huzband likes this.
  10. dcg141

dcg141 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see he is the TRS distributor so he is a busy man. I’m learning. May give them a call if I get requests for older parts. Or just send him some business.
  11. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I think having more industry professionals around here would be great!

https://www.trialscentral.com/forums/ is worth browsing, but is less active. I really like ADVrider, but I wish TC had more discussion because I think TC gets more search traffic as it is a dedicated page for trials.

Also check out https://thumpertalk.com/forums/forum/51-trials-bikes/ it's another slower forum, but reaches a lot of enduro/dirt bike guys who are already members and might be curious.
  12. dcg141

dcg141 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thx for those. My questions to GG/KTM so far have been some of the same ones most of you have. Are we committed to this and what are our long term plans. Hiring Geoff Arron for me was a smart move. Their focus right now is getting parts in Ohio. I did pass on today that GG has some fence mending to do.
    y4m4 likes this.
  13. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Fence mending? They're way beyond that. Unfortunately they did some serious bridge burning several years ago.
    spinnertrials likes this.
  14. motobene

Oddometer:
    When I finally got around to doing the non-remote-reservoir version of longer travel Ohlins, I learned about the spring rate issue. When you have longer travel that in part comes from more negative travel (meaning the swing arm can extend down more), stiff springs and/or high preload will ruin the handling with the stink-bug effect, and mess up squat and traction. I already was not keen on stiff springs on trials bikes. Lots of people assume that when you harsh bottom you need a stiffer spring. I found the opposite to be true in general (on trials bikes), and the long-travel experience, thanks to Vintage pro, just cemented the idea. And it went further in that the use of a softer-than-stock spring in concert with more free travel, could create a bottomless feel to the rear end on g-outs. I have had a 55 N/mm spring on the Sherco with little preload a long time. I never feel a hard bottom and the pressure spikes on the bottom of the feet that come with hard bottoming.

One way we got more positive free travel out of the longer-travel Ohlins was shortening the bump cushion. Then we added negative travel by removing some of the internal travel-limiter spacers. You mention, Randy, going with a softer spring on the 40mm-body Reiger on the TRS. That's interesting as that shock appears to not have a lot of free travel:
    1b.JPG

...or the bump cushion is super tall so it just looks short.
    jonnyc21 and Norman Foley like this.
  15. Vintage pro

Vintage pro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That bump cushion works like a Duel-Rate spring on that application, Reigers don't have any travel limiters inside to adjust the length. A build-up to duplicate the same characteristics of what I build, body length would need to be 6 to 8mm shorter and the shaft length around 12mm. Total eye to eye length 10 3/4" stock eye is 10 3/8".
    To the point of free travel, they don't feel it's a important to the handling of the bike. How many people at Ohlins & Reiger ride trials bikes proficiently? (none) How many at Honda Showa? (some).
    jonnyc21 and DyrWolf like this.
  16. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Justin Barcia briefly riding a GG trials bike.

KTM is all in on their red brand, I won’t be surprised at whatever they do with the trials bikes but it could be a few years before we see anything memorable IMO.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  17. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    He was riding a trials bike, just not trials.

Yes, I know. That wasn't the point of the commercial. Too bad.
    jonnyc21 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  18. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, riding a trials bike like a MX bike.
    Huzband likes this.
  19. Buschog

Buschog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Jitsie clip of Adrian Guggemos is more of trials bikes not being ridden as trials bikes. At least there is some trials type content in the vid.

I can see a lot of wannabe riders breaking frames doing, or trying to do, more than the machine is designed for.
  20. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    He is awesome! :bow
    AG141 on Instagram check it out.

What’s with the hate for guys riding trials bikes but not “trials” or in sections or what?
    I could be perfectly happy riding my trials bike on difficult terrain, on trail rides (with stops for crazy obstacles), working on becoming a better rider and never riding another “competition “. To each his own.

The fact that there are lots and I mean LOTS of riders that ride trials bikes better than anyone that posts here that never ride “observed trials” says a lot.
    North ride, Mow-ree, Huzband and 2 others like this.