Gaspipe's CO/WY Run '09

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gaspipe, Dec 7, 2009.

1. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Better late than never, eh?

Last August, a managed to get a little time away from work, and was feeling pretty good, all healed up! So I decided to go west, and explore some more of Colorado and Wyoming's high country. On the way west, I got a hold of Hayduke, so I became Salida bound. I hooked up with jumpingchollo at Saguache, and we rolled into Salida for a little fun. We had no plan, no destinations planned. We were going to wing it, and go wherever we went. That always seems to work the best for me.

It's always a good time to visit with Duke and Tami, and we had a couple thousand beers and a lot of laughs that evening. It wasn't too hard to convince Duke to take the day off work, and go ride with us. And ride we did.

"Duke, ya ever been over Hayden Pass?"
    "Nope."
    "Me either. Wanna try it?"
    "Sure."

And that's how it started. We road along the river road, and turned south to begin the climb up Hayden. It was easy, and in pretty nice shape, the views rather awe-inspiring.

[​IMG]

Then it occurred to me that I was a glad we didn't decide to ride this from south to north when we looked down. Somehow, I failed to take a pic - maybe Duke has one? Boiled brakes and a boulder field later, we were making a plan to keep going up the next ridgeline, find a little singletrack maybe, and meander our way back to Salida one way or the other.

See those peaks across the valley? Those ones with no trees? That's where we're going....

[​IMG]

An hour later after some really cool, seldom traveled FS roads, we were above the treeline!

[​IMG]

[more in a little bit....]
  2. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    More please :lurk
  3. amazing ricardo

amazing ricardo Piste Off

Oddometer:
    ...'nuther Gaspipe thread...:clap

..IN..
  4. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    Always worth seeing some snow-free riding pictures while we're in the middle of a cold snap :nod
  5. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I'd forgotten that I never posted this report, and figured you Colorado guys would appreciate Summer again.... :lol3
  6. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Thanks GP! The cube feels much bigger. :1drink
  7. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been going through major withdrawal as of late. The placebo has arrived just in the nick of time. Always a joy to find a new GP thread!

Bruce
  8. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna backtrack a little bit here - After boiling my rear brake coming down Hayden Pass, we rolled into the sprawling metropolis of Villa Grove, crossed highway 285, and headed off into the foothills again.

Duke knows his way here for sure, and I was just following along, enjoying the scenery, as we wound our way through some beautiful aspen groves.

[​IMG]

If I'm not mistaken, this is near the top of Bonita Hill...

[​IMG]

As we gazed off to the west, we decided to climb Mt. Antera, just to see what we could see. Less than 24 hours before, I was at 450' ASL. Now, we're at 10k, heading for 13k or so. It's all part of the Roberto Duran Principle - get in shape the first couple rounds, then hammer it. Right?

Riding up through Sawmill Gulch....

[​IMG]

And then finally above the trees - I could see the trail meandering up the slope, and disappearing....

[​IMG]

more coming!!
  9. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Up at the top, about as high you can ride without hiking (gasp...) I looked back to the east towards Hayden Pass.

[​IMG]

Hayden Pass was originally a route used by the Utes to cross from valley to valley, and in the 1870's, it was opened as a wagon road to get between the Arkansas River Valley to the San Luis Valley, rather than having to take the longer route. You can look up Otto Mears and read about his toll road networks in that area. Interesting stuff. The Bonanza area which we just rode up through has some rather significant mining activity back in the late 1800's, and Hayden Pass was an effort to collect on some of that good fortune.

Antora.....more or less the southern end of the Sawatch Range....about 13,260'....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta get a move on - we're going to head back down the way we came up, and then ride up the next range to see something special. Duke leads the way back down towards Ford Creek...

[​IMG]

More in a little while.....
  10. amazing ricardo

amazing ricardo Piste Off

Oddometer:
    ..bruce.. not to de-rail your ride report..

but what ever happened to your 450x project bike? :ear:ear
  11. Thorne

Thorne Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  12. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I've been procrastinating what motor I will build for it. The rest is done.
  13. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Duke led us down along Baxter and Sheep mountains, and down along Ford Creek back out to CO117. We rode a mile or so of asphalt, then then headed up the beginning of Sargents Mesa on a bit of tasty singletrack.

Mamacita, the two long days of driving and the riding we've done so far today, and I was getting tired. The thought of a cold beer sounded pretty nice. We reached a Forest service road, and followed it for a bit to a large meadow. And the Vietnam War Memorial. Good place to take a knee and catch my breath for a few minutes....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[more in a bit]
  14. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    Alright! Don't forget to post some maps. I'm looking forward to seeing Colorado. . . next year?? Nice to see you writing again.
  15. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing :lurk
  16. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice :thumb You've been holding out on us...

:lurk
  17. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  18. johnnyandjebus

johnnyandjebus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That right there is why someone invented motorcycles with knobby tires :clap
  19. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    It's about time! :clap

With the ground frozen as hard as cement here . . . mas!
  20. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Bruce! I didn't know you were starting this... I may have some pics to dig up. Back in a few...