gatogato missing in Panama. does anyone have news???

Discussion in 'Americas' started by salcar, Nov 27, 2007.

1. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    GATOGATO HAS BEEN FOUND!

I just got this message this morning:

Hello,

I work with Geoff Tayner's (gatogato) father in Des Moines, Iowa and they have been unable to contact him for quite a few days now. I was wondering if you had anymore info than we have right now. It seems that it has been over 9 days since the last contact and he was to be taking a ship to Columbia. Do you think you could ask around and maybe find out some info? His parents are pretty worried.

We are hoping he is fine and just doesn't have access to internet. Please let us know if you have any info. Thank you.

Derrick

Gatogato stayed with me in Nicaragua a week. he is a 23 y/o who was travelling on the cheap side and taking several risk that where not necessary. the one that comes to mind is him sleeping outside of Managua at a gas station with no guard on the bed of a pick-up truck :huh

His website was last updated on the 12th of November. last i heard was that he was looking for a boat ride to Colombia and had heard of a guy that would take him for $250 including the bike. normal rate is around $550 and i told that $250 seem like a scam to me...

anyway... can any one help get news on him?
    thank you!
    S.
  2. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    In 3 weeks I will be heading to Panama via land, arriving the 26th of december.

If you can PM me all details possible I might be able to gather some intel.
  4. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    i hope we don't have to wait 3 weeks to get news!!! But thank you for the offer.. i think the latest info and most relevant is in his site www.journeyrider.com ...
    PMed Jean-Luc that is in Costa Rica and heading to Panama next week i belive.
    Also PMed Brennan that crashed in Panama and developed some relationships with the locals.
    PMed Margaret aka beemerbird on HUBB that is currently in Panama while doing a RTW
  5. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travellers-seeking-travellers/invite-to-colan-northern-peru-30485#post159581

He posted this a week ago on HU:

<TABLE class=tborder id=post159581 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead>#3 (permalink) [​IMG]
    <!-- status icon and date -->[​IMG] 1 Week Ago <!-- / status icon and date -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><!-- user info --><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>gatogato [​IMG]<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_159581", true); </SCRIPT>
    New on the HUBB

</TD><TD width="100%"></TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Oct 2007

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_159581><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- message -->Hi Lorraine, I am currently in Panama City and am waiting until Monday to catch a ship to Columbia. If I make it to Peru before you leave I would like to stay with you. Thanks for the invite.

Geoff Tayner
    <!-- / message -->
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

If I understand correctly, he supposedly caught the boat yesterday.
  6. Britmick

Britmick Banned

Oddometer:
    The above post was from October,which is 4 weeks ago!
  7. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
    Am I reading it wrong?? I looked at that today. It says 1 week ago... Says he joined HU in October.
  8. repo

repo no mans land

Oddometer:
    maybe vegasmick was looking at the 'joined date'
  9. Brennan

Brennan @OliveOilandGasoline

Oddometer:
    Shit bro, this is potentially fucked.

I need some of his latest info, most importantly where he was staying in Panama City. I could send someone by. Did he need parts or anything? Did he have to ride to the coco-loco docks near colon and get on a countrabando boat? If he paid $250 that is what he was on, still really cheap, even for those salty pirate bastards.

These are the contacts that I have that we can use, with their likely hood of helping from one to ten, ten being a motorcycle brother.

Harbour Master of the Port of Colon. This dick is a 1

Jorge, real estate lawyer, he is a good friend of Savador. He is a bro 9

Antonio Sr and Jr, mechanics and high ranking members of the Association of Panamanian Motorcylist. Plus all the members of the association, great guys, even if most of them ride harleys:lol3 , Moto Bros 10

Paulo, crazy panamanian construction formen. Loco, but knows people in shitty places 7

Before I get my panties in a bunch over this Salvador, I need all the info you have. Where was he in PC, what did he need there, was he camping? I'll lift a pic of him and his bike off of his site.

GPThoven has a great point. However, he still should have been in touch while waiting for the boat that sounds like it was leaving yesterday. If he is missing he is probably in Panama.
  10. Britmick

Britmick Banned

Oddometer:
    You're right,l'm a dufus!

Anyway,let's hope the guy is OK,but it's strange he hasn't contacted his parents in quite a while.......
  11. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
  12. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    at this point i know as much as you guys do.. if someone has a couchsurfing account it will be nice to see if they can contact the guys he was staying with in PC. the last post on his site said that he had found a boat but was looking for a cheaper alternative.

I really hope that he is fine and have a feeling that he is... but knowing him i'm concerned that something happen to him... he seemed to me a very naive rider. the couple of times we went riding in managua looking for oil and food he would leave the helmet unlocked on top of his bike.. i told him not to do it bc it would get stolen and he kept leaving it... same thing at my house. he would leave all his stuff in the yard even after i told him it was a bad idea bc would give an incentive to robbers to jump the wall...

i hope after this incident he realizes that he needs to keep better communication with his family! I know that his fam was telling him to go back to the US so maybe he got tired of it and decided to stop calling them until he was in colombia...
  13. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Has anyone contacted StrikingViking for, at least, some advice? :confused
  14. Derrick-Iowa

Derrick-Iowa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The last his father heard is a customs guys recalled seeing him getting on a boat in Colon , taking a boat to Puerto Obaldia in the Darien Region of Panama with the intent to ride into Columbia . They are checking with the customs people in Puerto Obaldia to see if they recall seeing him come through. The customs guys advised that is isn’t advised to ride through this area as it is pretty rough. He was planning on camping or staying with people from couch surfer’s, with the intent of heading all the way down to Argentina .

If anyone has anymore info it would be great. Thanks for all your help.

Derrick
  15. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post5711490 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"><!-- status icon and date -->[​IMG] 11-18-2007, 06:02 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" align=right> #11 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>gatogato<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_5711490", true); </SCRIPT>
    Adventurer

Oddometer: 97

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_5711490><!-- message -->I am in Panama City right now and am hopefully catching a ship from Columbia out of Colon tomorrow. I would like to meet up and ride together if you are close to me.
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2>[​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    In this post he was planning or trying to catch a boat on the 19th...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5711490&postcount=11
  16. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    WOW!!!:huh

i hope he makes it bc it will be a hell of a story... did anyone get in touch with the two dutch man that tried to cross the darien gap by motorcycle earlier this year? i think they had a post on the HUBB... maybe they have some contacts along the way that we could contact.... probably need to look for contacts in colombia as well.. to see if he is on the other side...

i have personally met only one person that has done a similar route and had to take a small propeller plane at one point... he said it was a horrendous experience...i'll try to look up his site and put a link to it...

Derrick i sent you a PM.

S.
  17. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine 9 days is that big of a deal without contact down there. I'm talking totally out of my ass because I've never been there but the stories I read seems kinda logical. I was in Canada for 15 days and couldn't get cell service, sometimes it's just not convienent and that was Canada.

I'm sure none of this is comforting to his folks and I am in no way making light of the situation, just my thoughts.

Here's hoping the dude is just having too much fun :thumb
  18. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Good thoughts and prayers sent for the young man. Hopefully his family will hear from him soon.
  19. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    I hope he's ok.
  20. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    That's not a part of the world I would be wanting to be riding alone. It sure sounds like he's been making bad decisions based on finances. I sure hope he makes it.