gatogato missing in Panama. does anyone have news???

Discussion in 'Americas' started by salcar, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Brennan

Brennan @OliveOilandGasoline

Oddometer:
    Please, dude.... Let it go.
  2. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    one of the things that i like the most about ADV that other sites such as HU don't allow is discussion/argument. I think that as long as we respect each other we have the right to find a comon ground. I agree with several of the things that bananaman has said but do not agree on some of the heavy attacks that he has made.

Now that gatogato has been found I think this thread belongs to everyone. i think the more people post their opinion of this event the more we will learn on the right advrider behavior while traveling abroad.

My personal opinion is that when we embark on a long distance journey we need to have a clear list of contacts that have to be contacted in case of an emergency (accident, kidnaping, motorcycle support etc) and also have a point who knows exactly where we are heading - street names, towns and if possible hotels (doesn't have to be a family member).

In the case of gatogato i think his mistake was not to inform his family on what boat he was on and where he was heading to. He should have done that BEFORE leaving panama city since he KNEW that he would have limited communications/dangerous and he knew that his family/mom would worry a lot for him.

other than that i think a man has the right to take the route that he wishes for as long as he is responsible for his actions.

:ear
  3. theturtleshead

theturtleshead Tits on a fish

Oddometer:
    I guess being in Ecuador I get to see loads of riders who,ve just come down through Colombia and for about 3 or 4 years now I,ve had nothing but positive glowing reports about friendly people and beautiful countryside and I even took a spin up to Cali on my KTM with no scary moments at all.I guess it,s not all sunshine and roses,but you could say the same about Ecuador or Panama for that matter.In fact for business I visit Bogota quite frequently but I live most of the time in Quito and I truthfully feel safer in Bogota than I do in my own neighbourhood in Quito,a supposedly safer city,but the Cops here in Quito are of the Keystone variety and in reality even bigger crooks than the crooks!!! At least in Colombia the cops have something to prove and tend to look after you like an honoured guest in their country{of course with exceptions}and to finish off geez give it a break man up till now I,ve seen no complaints on the Hubb where I,m a regular as well,I suggest you get on your bike and take your frustration out by cutting up cars by undertaking overtaking going up the middle and generally pissing them off whilst ripping the shit out of it.
    But don,t try it in Colombia as you know every second fucker there is trying to kill you!!!:evil
  4. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    how many have you met/know that went through the Darien?

i was not concern of him being in Colombia but being in the Darien which is completely different... :ear
  5. Brennan

Oddometer:
    +1:thumb

Colombia SEEMED to be one of the safest and most modernized countries in South America. Fucking great riding too. Things have changed since SV spent time with the ELN.

I checked out the US State Department website just after Christmas, last year, before I made it to Colombias historic shores. It was the only country on my trip that was advised against traveling into by the US State Department. After some searching I found that there have been no reports of anything other than petty theft on their recent criminal activity page.

That being said... I would not hitch through Colombia. Ride or visit there in general... Hell yeah. I can't wait to go back.:nod
  6. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    Surprisingly enough quite a few have pulled the same trick but without the same drama,being that their old folks didn,t get involved:eek1
  7. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    Give me a date me old mucker I,ll see you there!! but remember"no llevas lena a la montana" and that would make more sense if I could find the ene on my keyboard!!!:clap
    Albert theturtleshead
  8. Brennan

Oddometer:
    He went AROUND the Darien just like the rest of us did. Very, very few people have actually been THROUGH the Darien. It's symantics, I know, but I have huge respect for the truly bad ass SOB's that have spent the MONTHS it takes to go THROUGH it.
  9. Brennan

Oddometer:
    :wave 'Sup Bro!

You've got the life my friend! I wish I was back down there.
    Lets get together and hit Gotca Falls in Peru.:freaky I am sorry I missed that spectacle.
  10. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I wasn't worried about him going by boat from Colon, I was worried about the type of boat that would take him for just a couple of hundred dollars. I wasn't too worried when he was missing for a week. But as time went on, it started to seem like an awful long time.

I really want to ride Colombia, but I haven't decided yet if I would rather fly into Bogota or Medellin, or take a boat into Cartegena. The boat sounds easier and cheaper, but longer. Didn't somebody recently fly themselves and their bike for only about $500?
  11. Brennan

Oddometer:
    Medellin was an absolute mess for Salcar and I to fly out of. I would opt for Bogota. The roll through 2-3 bikes a week on average during the busy season. Where as in Medellin we were initially told it was impossible. We had them speak to Bogota (same company, Girag) and they reluctantly agreed.

Medellin is awesome but fly to Bogota and ride to Medellin. IMO.
  12. smokinjoe

smokinjoe hippie kicker

Oddometer:
    Well, just in case anyone is intrested, this may be the reason Gato took the route he did

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268789

And for the folks that are like me, a bit lazy and don't like to do a lot of research, it was a suggestion by another rider on this web.

Personally, I think the guy is lucky as hell to have a family that cares about him and his well-being. Maybe my parents just got used to me not calling for months at a time, I'm sure they worried their asses off just like Gato's (well, I could only hope!) At any rate, I envy the guy. He's on the trip of a lifetime, has family that cares, and people all over the world that are willing to look for him because of a close-knit group of people on a friggin' web-site!! :clap I guess if some of you folks need to persecute (sp) someone for making mistakes, pick on me, I've made plenty and I'm pretty sure that I'll make some more.

I've read some of Gato's comments when he got rude, and that was only after someone made a smart-ass comment that had no bearing on the original post. I don't have any problem with doing the same thing. So, if you don't want people to be rude to you, if you don't want your pathetic little feelings to get hurt, keep your smart-assed comments and put downs to yourself. If I'm wrong in thinking this way, by all means, let me know!!
  13. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Which would you do- fly Panama/Bogota, or take a legitimate boat from Colon to Cartegena?
  14. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    After all the fuss on this thread poor old Bananaman should float across on a rafia matt,being sure to tell his folks and us before he go,s so we don,t all get our panties in a knot:wink:
  15. smokinjoe

smokinjoe hippie kicker

Oddometer:
    WTF's a rafia matt?:ear
  16. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    It,s a mat that,s made out of rafia:rofl
  17. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if I'm going to let you buy me a beer once I get to Quito. And if you come to Panama when I'm there, I'm not sure if I'm going to let you stay at my grandmother's house, or my uncle's house in Coronado, or the big house on the Atlantic by San Blas. And I'm not sure if I'll show you the coolest road, like, ever in the history of the world. Unless you promise to let me buy you a beer first.
  18. smokinjoe

smokinjoe hippie kicker

Oddometer:
    :poser
  19. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    Maybe a Scottish reference too far:D
  20. smokinjoe

smokinjoe hippie kicker

Oddometer:
    I thought maybe it was made of dread locks! But.....that would make it a Rastofarian matt, mon!