1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

gatosbros XR600/650L scramblers

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by jesusgatos, Nov 28, 2011.

1. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love that tank......cool thread how did I miss it?
    The man has some skills..:thumb:thumb
  2. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Quoting cycle wizard's reply to a PM I sent him about this for everyone else's' benefit:
    45's huh!?! wow. Would like to know more about these intakes that you're working on. Any idea when I might be able to get my hands on a few of those? And Lemme know if you need any help with CAD modeling or whatever. Oh, and would we still need to use a Noss adapter on the other side of using the stock air-boot?
  3. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep you would still need the air box adapter but the new intake is going to be longer so it fits the air boot better.
    I'll post a pic of a billet intake that I'm building for a national flat tracker, he's running one of my 750 motors..
    It's a Knight frame twin shock so I'm making a straight intake for it that will fit his 48mm carb..
  4. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    To bad you couldn't relocate the rear shock I could build you a cross flow twin carb billet intake.
    Two 32mm carbs with pod filters..:lol3
  5. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Please do post some pics. Would love to see what you're working on.
  6. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Made some more progress on the tank, and took a bunch of pictures with a new camera that I just bought, but I can't figure out where I put the damn things. So here are a few crappy cellphone pics instead. Started re-shaping the underside of the tank, and what these don't document too well is how I fit and shaped and cut the sheetmetal, tack-welded it into position, installed temporary supports, taped-off the interior volume, filled it with expanding foam, and then cut away the excess. The whole point of this was to, 1) maximize volume, and 2) make the tank a bit easier to reproduce.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Also spent a bit more time re-shaping the topside of the tank and it's looking a lot better. Funny how a few small changes can all add up to make such a big difference in the overall look and feel of something. Or maybe I've just spent too much time fondling this tank...
  8. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming Jesse! :D
  9. XRider

XRider Almost Lifelike

Oddometer:
    Very nice!
  10. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Haven't had much time to work on this project lately, but spent this afternoon mocking-up the new subframe. It's pretty wonky, but just wanted to throw something together quick-like. Gonna make some small adjustments after I fit the rear fender, then make make a jig and I can weld-up the real subframes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Gildus

Gildus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet project!!! Subscribed. :clap
  12. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this going to be a carbon fiber fuel tank by chance?

[​IMG]
  13. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's going to be a mix of carbon, kevlar, and fiberglass. At least the first few. Might eventually look into having them roto-molded.
  14. XRider

XRider Almost Lifelike

Oddometer:
    Didn't I sell you that bike about a year ago? Ether way, very nice work.
  15. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    One of 'em, yeah - the XR600 that I'm building for my buddy Sean. And thanks.
  16. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

cool thing to build your own scrambler tank. For my 1988 Dominator I' ve choosen the easy path and used a tank from an old NSU Max (and a few others things from 1950ies bikes)

[​IMG]

Something you may want to consider is an oil controll tube, a good thing since the XR/NX 650 oilpump is infamous for making trouble

[​IMG]

Cheers, Michael
  17. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    And to think that there are some bureaucrats in Euroland that want to stop owners from any modifications to bikes!! Keep it up.
  18. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    I like your Dommie. I have a fondness for them (see my signature line). I don't want to hijack this thread. but I'd like to hear more about your bike. Do you have a build thread for it somewhere?

19. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Neat-O! Thanks for posting scrambler66.
  20. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Started working on the rear fender today. Bought a big stupid steel chopper fender to cut-up and use to make a plug, but it's so wonky I kind of wish I would have just started from scratch. Cut some width out of the middle and trimmed it down to just a little bit over-size. Not going to do much more with it until I make a new subframe to fit it to for real-real.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]