gatosbros XR600/650L scramblers

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by jesusgatos, Nov 28, 2011.

1. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    My brother found an old CB350 that was abandoned out in the Santa Cruz mountains and the only thing that was salvageable was this tank. Was actually in pretty decent shape, and fit pretty well too, so we decided to run with it. Need two more if anybody's got another one laying around...

[​IMG]

Took me a long time to get it properly fitted to the bike though. Had to cut the tank mounts off the frame and reposition them to work with the CB tank. Made this little jig to ensure the mounts will be in exactly the same position on each of the three bikes I'm building. Know it's not much to look at but a lot of time goes into this part of building stuff and I like it when people share these kinds pictures and details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to remove the crossover tubes, they were in the way. Will replace them later. That's the only modification I've made to the tank so far, but will cut off the rear mount and make a new one that will work better with these bikes.

[​IMG]

Plenty of clearance for forks at full-lock. Think XR650R forks will clear too, but CR/F forks will be tight. Might have to limit the steering a little bit.

[​IMG]

With the tank in position, turned my attention to the subframe. Didn't line-up with the new tank, so I cut it off and started over. Old vs. New.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made a jig using an extra 650L frame. It's located using the swingarm and upper shock mounts, and picks mounting points for the exhaust, seat, and master cylinder for the rear brake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. XRider

XRider Almost Lifelike

Oddometer:
    Love the retro tank! Very nice work.

BTW I have an XR650R front end with both clamps if you're interested.
  3. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I've got a few sets of XRR and CR/F forks.
  4. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Added angle-iron to the subframe jig to support the subframe tubes and fit the first mock-up subframe. It's made out of scrap-metal and will end up in the garbage, but the real subframes will look just like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spent some time fitting the rear fender. Still over-sized, will be trimmed down to final size/shape later. Have to make the airbox and route the exhaust first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Think I figured out how I want to finish off the subframe and frame the seatpan. Want to keep the exhaust high and tight.

[​IMG]
  5. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Gonna run FCR MX carbs on these bikes. Probably with a Noss adapter and stock intake boot/filter.

[​IMG]
  6. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Took me almost all day to make this silly airbox template but now I've got it transferred to metal. Going to use this part as a plug to make a mold that we can then use to make the real airboxes. One step at a time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Purchased a complete and brand new take-off exhaust system off a 2014 CRF450R. Designed the new subframe to work with the stock XR exhaust, but would like to run these dual pipes. Mostly because they're short, they should tuck into the subframe nicely. Hope-hope-hoping I don't have to modify the silencers and Y-pipe. Would be great if I could just modify the stock headers / mid-pipe to to mate-up with the CRF exhaust.

[​IMG]
  8. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Was planning on building custom exhaust systems for these bikes, but incorporated the stock exhaust mounting points into the subframe because I wanted to be able to run stock replacement pipes too. The lower subframe tubes were causing clearance problems, so I cut them out, tucked them in a little tighter, and now there's plenty of room for the exhaust. Also made a little more progress on the airbox. Cut a hole for the intake boot and notched the sides to clear the new lower subframe tubes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Subbed and looking forward to more of this :clap
  10. farbrorfreij

farbrorfreij n00b

Oddometer:
    How is it going? Interested :-)
  11. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    We moved all our vehicles to a new yard, and I've been spending most of my time putting together a mobile workshop trailer that will be part of our gypsywagon caravan. It's not much more than a big disorganized toolbox right now, but at least I've got all my tools and projects in one place. Parked another expanding trailer right next to the workshop trailer and will be using that space to work on the XRamblers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Ordered a complete FMF exhaust system to confirm that the new subframe will work with stock replacement exhaust systems. All the mounting points line up perfectly and the fit is right on. Going to use this setup on at least one of the bikes, and will adapt some of FMF's CRF dual silencers to one or two of the other bikes we're building.

[​IMG]
  13. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Spent a bit of time working on the airbox. Had to make some small plates to replace the bits I trimmed off when I reworked the subframe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nibbled-out a hole to clear the rear fender, and filled that with expanding foam to create a shape that would match the contour of the fender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to add some material to the sides to create enough space inside the airbox to fit the stock air filter cage. Chopped up some little bits of wood and glued them into place.

[​IMG]

Spent more time taking measurements and tracking down the right bits for my router than making this top piece, but it fits great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and this is where I left off. Still a bit more shaping to do and have to add mounting points, then a bit of bodywork, and someday we'll be ready to make a mold.

[​IMG]
  14. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Hey Man, I'm back in after your long break. How did that diesel motor from Sierra Army Depot work out for you?
  15. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Heya! We ended up getting rid of that one because it was obsolete and we couldn't get replacement parts for it.
  16. LaneDetroit

LaneDetroit Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sweet! What's the military code for one of those trailers? I'm planing a caravan at some point also good to see there are others who are living the dream.
  17. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    M313, M447, M447c, M749, M750
  18. LaneDetroit

LaneDetroit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've seen the 750 with the deck on front. Gonna bid on one today. And a 1078 van truck. If that falls through found a 109a3 with a 105 and super singles in Detroit. We gonna have to meet up in the Nevada cali desert somewhere!! Bid on some things today! Lots of Hmmvv and 1078s. Thanks for those numbers.
  19. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Trimmed the top plate to create mounting points and sanded the side plates down to something close to finished size/shape. Bit of bodywork up next, only a little bit further to go...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    zaTTaz likes this.
  20. dongie

dongie Brraaap

Oddometer:
    Are you using that airbox as a template for a fiberglass/carbon mold?