GCBAR - Grand Canyon Backcountry Adventure Route - The Complete Route

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by dave6253, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Choby

Choby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This stuff is awesome for me, I love the whole area but live in BC so this info rocks.
    dave6253 likes this.
  2. echo7tango

echo7tango echo7tango

Oddometer:
    Fantastic info! I am considering this after Overland Expo West. Thanks for the great details, @dave6253!
    dave6253 likes this.
  3. pzvt

pzvt Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the awesome tracks. Combined with many others and we’re bummed we could not use the awesome panoramic campsite at saddle mountain as it was blowing 35. Off to Colorado. Thanks for posting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    dave6253 likes this.
  4. aprracer

aprracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. aprracer

aprracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man..... Thank you soooo much. Heading there for first time this spring and this is so helpful!!!! I owe ya dinner..
    dave6253 and PeterKaa like this.
  6. ryondrums

ryondrums Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man this a comprehensive gift to all of us. Thanks so much for making planning something like this WAY WAY easier!!!
    dave6253 likes this.
  7. Sertguy

Sertguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm finally getting to do this in the last part of September. Thanks again Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    dave6253 likes this.
  8. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Have a great ride. Let me know if you have questions.

AFAIK, larryboy and I are still the only ones to ride all of it.
    larryboy likes this.
  9. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Brilliant.. a thorough comprehensive route just as amazing as your photography skills. Hope to ride it some day soon. Thanks for taking the time to provide such a wonderful source of information.
    dave6253 and larryboy like this.
  10. Antikid

Antikid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    just found this as I am starting to plan a GC trip with my boy! Thanks a lot for everything, this trip looks awesome! Last year, we went through CO on a decent amount of the COBDR.

Any chance you can clear up some of the camping stuff for me?
    Do ALL of the National Park Permit Required camping spots have the crazy waiting list/early reservation rules?
    Do I have to get a permit to ride the rest of the route if we don't plan on camping in the special spots? Can you stop and visit the special spots if you aren't camping?
    Do the Navajo Nation spots have the same rules, or is it easier to get in by just riding up and getting a permit?

We would be coming from Ohio at the end of May, beginning of June, and I will only roughly plan the trip so we can just go with the flow. I don't want to get out there and
    then get some fine or whatever for camping where we shouldn't, or not have a place to sleep at all. I prefer to primitive camp, campsites with RVs and touristy types suck.
    East to West is probably how we would roll (unless it would be smarter to go west to east), starting at Havasupai Point if we are allowed to just go in and out since I doubt
    we will get a spot, or, would that be a bad idea time-wise if we can't camp there?
    edit after reading some RRs: looks like east to west IS the correct way, which works out for us!

I'm sure I'll have some more questions/concerns before we actually leave. Any help is much appreciated. I wouldn't worry as much if it was just myself, but my son is 12,
    so, I try to keep things halfway safe...

and a pic from our last trip, since, I am proud of it, and we had an awesome time:D:D
    20180620_131252.jpg
    Idaho Pakeha, Barak and SunshineTom like this.
  11. Antikid

Oddometer:
    Here is the rough plan right now after reading some ride reports. I'm pretty sure this is agressive, and I don't want to book Jumpup Cabin until
    I get some feedback, especially since it is $68/night!! (doing that one for Nathan, he will think it is cool)
    We would be filling up with gas at every opportunity and I think I will carry a 1 gal rotopax to be safe. Along with LOTS of water, probably 10L or so.

What I don't know is how long we would be at the lookout sites, and how that affects the schedule. Looking at the mileage on the tracks, I don't see it being
    a problem if we hang around some of them for 15mins or so (maybe more if we feel like it).

If we get rained out (too muddy) then we would just push everything, skip stuff, etc. This is just a loose schedule right now to get us out there.

Day 1 Friday 5/24: Home to around Springfield, MO. 560+miles. Camp??

Day 2 Saturday 5/25: ??Springfield, MO to Amarillo, TX. Camp at Palo Duro Canyon ($24 paid 3/11)

Day 3 Sunday 5/26: Amarillo, TX to Petrified Forest National Park. Camp @ Gift Shops on 180 and park road on the south side. Call!!!

Day 4 Monday 5/27: Petrified to Cameron to start GCBAR!! Early morning/afternoon

Day 4 Monday 5/27: GCBAR #1: Havasupai to maybe Tatahatso. Camp (Find!!)

Day 5 Tuesday 5/28: GCBAR #2: ?? (wherever we camped) to Tatahatso to Saddle Mountain (#5 Camp Here)

SHOWER AT LODGE OR SINK BATH!!!

Day 6 Wednesday 5/29: GCBAR #3: Saddle Mountain AND GCBAR #4 and camp @ one of the Kaibab Campsites (#9 thru #15. PROBABLY #9 or #10)

Day 7 Thursday 5/30: GCBAR #5 and #6 direct to Jumpup Cabin (Need to Reserve). Unload Bike > Get food and stuff in Kanab, UT. Explore Rest of GCBAR #5 & #6 and Gunsight (GCBAR #7)
    SHOWER OR SINK BATH!!!

Day 8 Friday 5/31: Hike/Ride around/Rest, Explore Rest of GCBAR #5 & #6 and Gunsight (GCBAR #7). Stay at Jumpup Cabin (Need to reserve)

Day 9 Saturday 6/1: Load Bike then GCBAR #7 and possibly start GCBAR #8 or just Camp (Find!!)

Day 10 Sunday 6/2: GCBAR #8 and try to Camp at Toroweap, if not (not likely), GCBAR #9 > Bar 10 (Gas) > Camp (Find!!) (or stay at Bar 10, but would rather not $$)
    SHOWER OR SINK BATH @ Bar 10??

Day 11 Monday 6/3: GCBAR #9 and start GCBAR #10?? > Camp (Find!!)

Day 12 Tuesday 6/4: GCBAR #10 and start GCBAR #11 > Camp (Find!!)

Day 13 Wednesday 6/5: GCBAR #11 to Vegas > Hotel??

SHOWER OR SINK BATH!!!

Day 14 Thursday 6/6: Vegas to Hoover Dam > Hotel?? Camp??

Day 15 Friday 6/7: Slowly start to head home :(
    CharlieInStLouis and Mr Head like this.
  12. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Antikid,
    It looks like you have a cool trip planned. As far as some of your camping questions, did you see my camping list on page 5 of this thread? You can find plenty of camping for free. Most of this route is not in the park. Last I heard, You can get a permit for camping at Toroweap from the Pipe Springs NM visitor center before riding out there.
    Antikid likes this.
  13. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    @Antikid
    You may be getting there a little early for this season. Northern Arizona has seen record snow. Expect to run into closed areas on the plateau.
    typeamark and Antikid like this.
  14. Antikid

Oddometer:
    Hey dave6253!

I did see your post on page 5, awesome info, and I am using it while planning. I was just wondering if all of the sites that require a permit are "book many, many months in advance" since there are only a handful.
    We will try to get what we can, and if we don't, oh well. hopefully the weather cooperates...

I will check out Pipe Springs. Thanks!
  15. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    With the exception of Toroweap and the Navajo Reservation, yes.
    If you set up camp at sunset, and are gone shortly after sunrise - were you ever really there? You will definitely see park rangers at Toroweap. Very unlikely at other places.
    Antikid likes this.
  16. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just saw this. Awesome! Headed out there with a buddy in about a month! Thanks so much!
    dave6253 likes this.
  17. SCPancho

Oddometer:
    Is that just for camping? It's open to visit right?
  18. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Yes. Just for camping. You should probably pay the park entrance fee to be out there, unless you ride in from the back and can convince the rangers you are going to the visitor center to pay.
  19. SCPancho

Oddometer:
    of course. We are staying at Kaibab campground. Have 4 days reserved. After reading all of this I think I need to extend 2 weeks!
    Mr Head and dave6253 like this.
  20. Imachimper

Imachimper Shunpiker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    They are set up to issue permits in St. George for camping at Toroweap. I got mine there first week of Oct. 18 for a trip out the next day.
    dave6253 and Mr Head like this.